“Scrumptuous Peruvian-style seafood and good-sized portions!”
Review of Punto Azul

Punto Azul
Ranked #56 of 3,006 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2016

I ate dinner with my siblings and cousins - About 12 of us. This is a "go-to" location in this Miraflores area. If you want good-tasting, Peruvian seafood, and are in that Miraflores area (Lima suburb adjacent to the ocean), this is a place to strongly consider.

I ordered ceviche Punto de pescado. Ceviche is "The" signature Peruvian seafood dish. Don't get me wrong - Peru has many delicious seafood dishes but, this one, is, by far, the best known dish on a global basis. Therefore, I'd strongly suggest visitors to Peru order the ceviche at a restaurant well-known for their ceviche. Ceviche is a sushi-type seafood. Like sushi, it is raw, but unlike sushi is actually chemically cooked, for hours, with lime (some use lemon) juice and actually tastes cooked. Ceviche is served cold, like a salad/appetizer. The traditional ceviche is usually made of white fish (ie, flounder, tilapia, orange roughy, etc.) but can also be made of other seafood such as calamari, squid, etc. It is served on a bed of lettuce and a small ear of corn and sweet potato on the same plate and beside the ceviche. In addition to the lime juice, the ceviche marinade normally includes onions, cilantro, parsley, and the very small pieces of the most popular Peruvian hot pepper, aji (pronounced Ah-hee). This dish is normally only very slightly spicy., etc. All of that is marinated in the lime juice. If you eat ceviche at a good seafood restaurant, like Punto Azul, it is incredibly delicious. The Ceviche Punto I ordered is a little spicier than traditional ceviche because, instead of using the aji hot pepper, they used the hotter, "rocoto" Peruvian hot pepper. It was spicier, but nothing someone that likes spicy foods can't handle. The ceviche was DELICIOUS!

I also ordered the conchitas a la parmesana. This is another traditional, Peruvian seafood - scallops with parmesan cheese and seasoning, baked in the shell and served in the shell. It normally is one of my favorite dishes. However, these conchitas (means shells) were a bit dry. I don't know if they overcooked, or if they sat too long after they were baked, but I was not impressed. My brothers also thought their conchitas a la parmesana was dry. Hopefully it as just a bad evening they had with this dish. Regardless, whether at this restaurant, or another, I strongly suggest you order this dish - You will not be disappointed.

Lastly, I ordered the "chupe de camarones" which is a Peruvian shrimp stew / chowder / soup (camarones is shrimp in Spanish). This a delicious seafood soup (not a cream-based soup) whose stock is made of the actual shrimp head, shells, etc. and makes for a very tasty base, and contains fairly big-sized shrimp and vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, small ears of corn and even eggs broken into the soup and cooked in the soup . . . YUM! I forgot how satisfying the "chupe" (pronounced choo-peh) soup was and probably ordered one dish too many. Therefore, since the conchitas were a little dry, I did not finish them. The chupe can easily be your only dish, or add a ceviche or conchitas appetizer if you are hungry.

As a cocktail, I had the traditional, Peruvian, Pisco Sour Catedral. Pisco is Peruvian's fire water and made of white grapes (like Brandy, just a little stronger). the Pisco Sour cocktail is made with pisco, lime juice, simple sugar and egg white (for the foaminess) and topped with a drop of angostura bitters. The drink goes down easy (too easy!) so make sure you don't drink too many of them, as delicious as they are! The Punto Azul, Pisco Sour Catedral (cathedral) is simply that cocktail in a much bigger glass. I only needed one of these "big babies" to make me feel pretty good :)

Unfortunately, I did not have room for dessert, so that'll have to wait until my next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,406)

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

You may have to wait for a table but it's worth it. Superb seafood. Try the crabs claws and the mussels for starters. Classic civiche is great. Lovely sweets too.

Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

We came by invitation first this week, and for the last night, we all agreed unanimously Punto Azul as the farewell dinner site. In fact, we chose pretty much the same as on our first dinner!
Ceviches are both very good- above the average for sure. My best parihuela too

It is worth coming twice

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

I tried the chupe, a Peruvian seafood chowder, and it was rich and tasty. The portion size was huge, I couldn't finish it all. My partner had the Punta azul risotto and enjoyed it very much. The ambience is nice, relaxing. Generally busy but we didn't need to book ahead on a Thursday.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

This is a local restaurant in Miraflores. They have excellent fish dishes and is an excellent value. We love eating seafood so we go out every night trying to find the best seafood restaurants. Their seafood soup is AMAZING.