“Gem in Barranco”

Artesanias Las Pallas
Ranked #6 of 99 Shopping in Lima
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialized in select traditional folk art:Weavings,pottery,masks,hand painted frames and trys,baskets,charms,amulets.Also carved gourds,retablos,appliques and much more.
Reviewed 3 July 2015

The shop is very nice, the owner is a very knowledgable person in peruvian culture. I was very impressed with her knowledge.
She let us see part of her house and It looks like a museum, she has very beautiful pieces.

3  Thank Carlos A

Reviewed 29 June 2015

This shop is in Lima’s Barranco District, not far from Miraflores. If you are interested in Peruvian folk art, it should not be missed. The owner and her daughter are very warm and welcoming and have their own very interesting collection. Even if you aren't in the market for folk art, it is a good education in Peruvian pre-Columbian art and culture. I highly recommend a visit. You'll need to ring the bell for them to come to the door.

2  Thank Barbara28970
Reviewed 19 June 2015

Las Pallas have a large collection of all types of handmade crafts from throughout Peru. I particularly liked the beaded jewelry and hand carved gourds. There are options to choose among a wide range of price points.

4  Thank Junebughiker
Reviewed 10 June 2015

We were warmly welcomed into what can only be described as a folk art museum and store on the loveliest street in Barranca. The owner who has amassed a wonderful collection of the finest handmade Peruvian art also shared her extensive knowledge of the people and regions from where each piece was made. We left knowing more about the craft and art we have seen during our trip while also feeling very good about the purchases we made at Artesanias Las Pallas!

2  Thank Molly R
Reviewed 5 June 2015

I did my research before my trip to see the various traditional handicrafts Peru is known for as I always pick up art to decorate my home with. I knew I wanted a retablo or two and from Trip Advisor found that this store is known for authentic crafts including a good selection of retablos.

The owner takes pride in the fact that her store is 95% handmade crafts and her prices are reasonable. I went here the day after I arrived in Peru and picked up two retablos and with the exception of a couple of small boutiques including the upscale retablos at the airport (very pricey) I did not see better retablos over the next 2 weeks. My time was taken up by all my sightseeing and activities which didn't allow for much small store/boutique shopping and you won't find retablos as nice at the markets.

There are so many items you are bound to find something you like. I saw her personal collection of art which is very impressive. If you pay with cash you will get 10% off but they do take credit card. I got a large retablo (baby jesus with towns people) for approx $200 US (17x16 inches), and small retablo (women shopping) for $40 US (6X5 inches). She had easily over 50 retablos with various shapes, scenes and prices. They were wrapped very well to take back home.

The shop is a 5 minute brisk walk from Dedalo, another highly recommended shopping complex in Barranco which has more modern items. If you want traditional however, this is the place to go. I didn't have the time but Barranco is very bohemian, a colorful neighborhood I wish I would have had the time to explore. Barranco was a 10 minutes cab ride from my hotel in Miraflores.

4  Thank seekingserenity097