“Great for traditional and handmade Peruvian Handicrafts”

Artesanias Las Pallas
Ranked #6 of 98 Shopping in Lima
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialized in select traditional folk art:Weavings,pottery,masks,hand painted frames and trys,baskets,charms,amulets.Also carved gourds,retablos,appliques and much more.
Reviewed 5 June 2015

I did my research before my trip to see the various traditional handicrafts Peru is known for as I always pick up art to decorate my home with. I knew I wanted a retablo or two and from Trip Advisor found that this store is known for authentic crafts including a good selection of retablos.

The owner takes pride in the fact that her store is 95% handmade crafts and her prices are reasonable. I went here the day after I arrived in Peru and picked up two retablos and with the exception of a couple of small boutiques including the upscale retablos at the airport (very pricey) I did not see better retablos over the next 2 weeks. My time was taken up by all my sightseeing and activities which didn't allow for much small store/boutique shopping and you won't find retablos as nice at the markets.

There are so many items you are bound to find something you like. I saw her personal collection of art which is very impressive. If you pay with cash you will get 10% off but they do take credit card. I got a large retablo (baby jesus with towns people) for approx $200 US (17x16 inches), and small retablo (women shopping) for $40 US (6X5 inches). She had easily over 50 retablos with various shapes, scenes and prices. They were wrapped very well to take back home.

The shop is a 5 minute brisk walk from Dedalo, another highly recommended shopping complex in Barranco which has more modern items. If you want traditional however, this is the place to go. I didn't have the time but Barranco is very bohemian, a colorful neighborhood I wish I would have had the time to explore. Barranco was a 10 minutes cab ride from my hotel in Miraflores.

4  Thank seekingserenity097

Reviewed 18 May 2015 via mobile

If you're more on the artsy side, taste wise, this is where you want to buy gifts and souvenirs in Lima. The items in here are authentically Peruvian but are not your average typical mass market souvenirs.
Set in the arts district of Lima, Barranco, this store houses a massive collection and is run by two lovely ladies who were highly attentive and even went to the extent of calling me a cab to get me back to my hotel.

3  Thank AAlGhoul
Reviewed 9 May 2015

I expected to come into this beautiful collection, find nothing I could reasonably afford, and be snubbed for touching things I don't plan to buy. Imagine the exact opposite and that was the experience I had. The first thing the owner said to me was "Please don't feel obligated to buy anything. You're welcome to look for as long as you'd like." And she meant it. She was happy to tell us about each item, but there was definitely no pressure to buy anything. There are many nice, expensive items, but they were very fairly priced. And most things are actually very affordable. I found beautiful earrings, inexpensive hand-woven napkins, among many other wonderful souvenirs. The owner has traveled far and wide to acquire her collection, and every piece has a story and a history. If you want cheap items to give as souvenirs, I would go to the Inca Market for sure, but if you want one-of-a-kind keepsakes, I can't recommend Las Pallas enough!

4  Thank Kelschen
Reviewed 7 May 2015

My partner and I went to this store about two weeks ago, while doing some of our last gift shopping in Lima, before flying out the next day. I had heard good things so we went. While there were some lovely items for sale, the shop seemed to be entirely directed at expats with way too much money and no desire to interact with local people.
The british woman whom I assumed owned the place was unfriendly and condescending, and the locked door that customers had to be buzzed into made the place feel unwelcoming.
Also her products were very expensive. As an example a small carved gourd which you can buy in Cochas for less than S/10 or other tourist markets in Lima for less than S/20 were selling at her place for S/70!!
My advice: Support local people and shop elsewhere.

6  Thank Josie B
Reviewed 30 April 2015

I read about this lovely shop on tripadvisor and was keen to see some genuine textiles and crafts made by Peruvian artisans. The blue house could not be missed. We arrived too early and rang the gate bell. Out rushed Mari and within a minute we were chatting about the history of the textiles and were given an in depth explanation of anything we were interested in. She is a British ex pat who genuinely cares for her artisans. There were a wide range of interesting gifts ranging in price and our experienced Lima guide said the prices were very good. I bought a few gifts and also bought a beautiful table runner despite the fact that I had bought one in a previous trip to Peru. As retired art teacher I was thrilled with the beauty of the weaving. I was tempted to buy an appliquéd wall hanging for it great colours but as it was the start of a very long trip I resisted. Mari invited us into her living room attached to the shop and I was astounded at her collection of ceramics dating back to very early cultures. We stayed much longer than intended ,listening to her fascinating tales. A very interesting experience.

3  Thank Michele A