“Colonial, Unfriendly, Overpriced”

Artesanias Las Pallas
Ranked #6 of 99 Shopping in Lima
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialized in select traditional folk art:Weavings,pottery,masks,hand painted frames and trys,baskets,charms,amulets.Also carved gourds,retablos,appliques and much more.
Reviewed 7 May 2015

My partner and I went to this store about two weeks ago, while doing some of our last gift shopping in Lima, before flying out the next day. I had heard good things so we went. While there were some lovely items for sale, the shop seemed to be entirely directed at expats with way too much money and no desire to interact with local people.
The british woman whom I assumed owned the place was unfriendly and condescending, and the locked door that customers had to be buzzed into made the place feel unwelcoming.
Also her products were very expensive. As an example a small carved gourd which you can buy in Cochas for less than S/10 or other tourist markets in Lima for less than S/20 were selling at her place for S/70!!
My advice: Support local people and shop elsewhere.

6  Thank Josie B

Reviewed 30 April 2015

I read about this lovely shop on tripadvisor and was keen to see some genuine textiles and crafts made by Peruvian artisans. The blue house could not be missed. We arrived too early and rang the gate bell. Out rushed Mari and within a minute we were chatting about the history of the textiles and were given an in depth explanation of anything we were interested in. She is a British ex pat who genuinely cares for her artisans. There were a wide range of interesting gifts ranging in price and our experienced Lima guide said the prices were very good. I bought a few gifts and also bought a beautiful table runner despite the fact that I had bought one in a previous trip to Peru. As retired art teacher I was thrilled with the beauty of the weaving. I was tempted to buy an appliquéd wall hanging for it great colours but as it was the start of a very long trip I resisted. Mari invited us into her living room attached to the shop and I was astounded at her collection of ceramics dating back to very early cultures. We stayed much longer than intended ,listening to her fascinating tales. A very interesting experience.

3  Thank Michele A
Reviewed 29 April 2015

THANKS Trip Advisor for steering us to this absolutely delightful shopping experience. Very wide range of quality/prices to suit every budget and taste. We found gifts for adult children, young grand children plus really nice jewelry and an art boxed diorama for ourselves. The 10% discount for paying in cash was much appreciated.

3  Thank AstonV1213
Reviewed 6 April 2015

Before you buy crafts or souvenirs anywhere, you should pay a visit to this unique shop in Barranco. The owner, Mari, a British expat has lived here for more than 30 years. She buys all her merchandise directly from the artisans. You know you are getting quality. She is very knowledgeable and, if the shop is not busy, you can spend a couple of hours learning about Peruvian culture. She will also give you a tour of her house and introduce you to her Peruvian, hairless dog.

2  Thank Devis12
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Even if you are a discriminating traveler used to finding interesting sights and shops, your experience at this little shop in a residential setting in Barranco will really stand out. Excellent merchandise knowledgeably explained by a fascinating and engaging owner who has lived on the premises for many years. Don't miss it!

3  Thank Dallas-Voyageur