New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Los Aticos for 2 weeks! Here's the skinny:

Clean room!
Spacious enough for us to both unpack!
Keyed Safe in closet!
Table w/ one chair, night stand, small 13" tv w/ lots of channels (mostly spanish/5-6 good ones in english)
The bed is fairly comfortable. You only get two pillows, so consider bringing one. I've been using my travel pillow. The comfortor is very warm. It's a duvee' (spelling?).
The plugs are very reliable and did not blow up my chi hair iron, computer, phone, camera battery charger or tablet.
We loved that they have free wi-fi. If you don't bring your computer, they do have 2 computers downstairs where you can use the internet.
Breakfast is served downstairs daily: local bread, marmalade, butter, bologna & cheese, orange-ish juice (like tang or sunny delight), coffee, cocoa tea, regular tea, fridge for personal food bought at market, stove, microwave, toaster, any dishes you may need.
The bathroom is small, but adequate. The water pressure is amazing and they have hot water 24/7. Keep in mind that the hot is to the right (opposite of the USA).
Staff is super friendly and helpful.
The location is central to resturaunts and bars. There is a bar right next door which seems to do well. They play N.American music, have Karaoke and live bands and dancing. The only downside to this is that if you aren't partying then you need to leave your window closed to drown out the sound somewhat. It usually lasts till around 2am and starts at 9pm.

Additionally, the hotel is affiliated with Milla Turismo. They can book tours and tell you anything you need to know about the city. They are located about 20 min walk away from the hotel, but its a pleasant walk. We dealt with Maria, who was very kind and her English was supurb. We learned that it is best to book private tours so that you can go at your own pace vs. slowing down for the crowd. Also, going at it with a private tour allows you to take the paths less traveled and there ends up beign time to do things that you typically wouldn't be able to do if you were with a larger group.

I hope that you will go with Los Aticos if you come to Cusco. Carlos is the owner and he also speaks English very well. I only have one warning. Do not book through www.travelspot.com. This company did not send us the receipt or the itinerary for our stay. We ended up contacting the hotel directly and dealing with Carlos. Throught the process, we learned that travelspot is an affiliate of www.Expedia.com. I'd advise that you book via Expedia or directly with Carlos.

Enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: The hotel has 4 floors, so its best to contact Carlos directly to choose a room on a floor of your l...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
LosAticos, Manager at Los Aticos, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Good news!!! you gave us the oportunity of noticing about the pillows.
Now we have plenty of them, and guess what.... we purchased new pillows of various softnesses for "pillow adicts".

Come back!!!

The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We traveled to Cusco/Machu Picchu just before Christmas 2011 and had a blast. We stayed at Los Aticos in Cusco for three nights and it offered everything we needed. The location was great...in the middle of Cusco, just a few minutes' walk to the main plaza, restaurants and bars. The hotel is safe...the doors are locked at night. It offers free internet access and a free continental breakfast. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy and we had our own bathroom. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are larger rooms with two floors for parties with more than two people. They are also quieter...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Roma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

Good place.People are kind and room are quite comfortable.There are 2 pc with internet, but not so fast.There is a common kitchen that it' s possible to use and after you have to clean it.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lund, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2009

The location of the hostel is very good. The attention was very nice too.The aticos room, for 4 persons is great value!
The breakfast was also quite good.
The location of the hostel is very safe, but I wouldn't suggest you go 2 blocks far from the hotel in opposite direction of plaza de armas. We made that mistake and it looked very dangerous, hopefully we arrived fine on the way back. So ...keep in the tourist area...is safer.

• Liked — kindness, clean
  • Disliked — no complains
  • Stayed December 2008
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2007

I have traveled to Cuzco three times over the past three years, staying at Los Aticos (Q'era) twice, and I would recommend it to anyone. I'll start with my first experience (April '04) and then talk about my May '06 trip. If you're looking for an in-depth review on what to expect at Los Aticos (Q'era) and its location, this is it.

In April '04, I went to Peru with two fellow students. We had found good reviews of the hostal in a travel guidebook and had a travel agent arrange the stay for us. My friends and I were VERY pleased. IMMACULATELY kept beds, free continental breakfast every morning, hot water all the time in spacious private bathrooms, clean towels, in-room safe, very friendly staff, free internet access in the reading room, a nice view from our own room of some mountains and Cuzco's sea of tiled rooftops, and umlimited use of the property's kitchen (There's a small supermarket called Gatos Market on the Plaza de Armas--you can stock up there if you plan on cooking, or even just stop by for great snacks!). All in all, lots of pluses at this place! The rooms are somewhat small, but there is a large wardrobe in each room I've seen, plus a small desk, so you have ample space for storing bags. Also, the beds are somewhere between twin- and full-size and quite comfortable. The whole place has a somewhat cottagey-type vibe on the interior (not to mention that it's spotless), so it's very nice.

I will try to be objective in my review and tell you that I ran into one problem total at Los Aticos, but it was not the type of thing that ruins your stay. It was during my '04 stay, and if you're careful about making your arrangements, and, if possible, you make them *yourself* so that you can be very sure of what was agreed-upon, you should be fine. I hope that this doesn't dissuade you, but here's the story; we had originally planned on having a party of four. Apparently, Los Aticos assumed that we needed two rooms and charged us for both--despite the fact that they never so much as mentioned this or even gave us a key for the second room. The charge came as a total surprise, and they didn't deny the fact that they'd never even given us a second key, but the manager at the time absolutely would not agree to refund us ANY of the money for the second room that was never opened. We were annoyed, but everyone else was so friendly, and it was such a great deal otherwise that we still left with a good impression of Los Aticos.

I went back to Cuzco twice in '06. During the first trip (in March), a large group of us stayed at a historic hostal right across the street from the Q'oricancha. That hostal had VERY friendly management and staff, but I missed Los Aticos for a number of reasons. You might be tempted to book in a historic building or right across the street from a historical site, but Los Aticos leaves nothing to be desired.

I made a reservation in March for my return to Los Aticos (Q'era) in May of 2006, and I was not disappointed. It was still the same, clean, quaint, friendly place I had remembered from two years before. The staff were wonderful, and my partner said he would definitely like to stay there on our next trip to Cuzco. At some point in the stay, they were thinking of moving us to their other property for our last evening (at no extra cost) because of an unexpected large group who was coming for a long stay, but they were very accomodating and decided instead to give us a bigger room with a queen-sized bed on their indoor patio (again, at no extra cost). To be honest, we liked the smaller rooms upstairs more (they're cozier and better-lighted), but the downstairs room was just as clean, and we had nothing to be upset about because they did everything they could to keep the inconvenience to a minimum.

Los Aticos is in a fantastic location, so I'll talk now a little bit about all the great places VERY close to the hostal; there's no need to look for something right on the Plaza de Armas because the tourist part of Cuzco is more than small enough to be walkable. Los Aticos is tucked back in a short alleyway, and right as you exit onto the road, as someone alluded to earlier, there is a GREAT Chinese restaurant (chifa) right there to your right. It's called Chifa Sipan, and it's addicting! It's no five-star restaurant in terms of presentation, but it's certainly phenomenal food, with (yet more!) friendly staff. My advice to you is to check it out early on in your stay because you'll probably want to go back for more; I know a number of people who did. The restaurant has two floors, and the front of the chifa is all windows, so you can look out onto the Cuzco street while you dine. I don't remember the prices, but it's certainly not expensive.

Also on the street, within about a minute from Los Aticos are an artesan market (right on the corner--possibly called San Lorenzo???), numerous bakeries (great for a cheap breakfast if you want to try something other than the hostal's free fare), and a restaurant called, if I'm not mistaken, Los Toldos Chicken. In my opinion, Los Toldos doesn't have the best food, but it's very popular with tourists, so if you're looking to connect with other travelers, it's a good bet.

The Plaza de Armas is, I would estimate, 5-10 minutes from Los Aticos on foot. It's an easy walk, pretty straightforward, and doesn't require any back-alley meanderings. While there are dangers in Cuzco (as in any tourist destination), Los Aticos leaves you in a pretty good spot. I was told a few years back that if you make a left upon exiting the alleyway (in the opposite direction of the Plaza), once you cross the street at the end of that block, you're heading into an area known for thieves. There's no need to go there though, and as for going back and forth from Los Aticos itself to the Plaza de Armas, I have (thankfully) never once had a problem or felt unsafe (even on my first trip when we were a small group of female travelers). Los Aticos offers everything you could expect for $30 a night in Cuzco, and then some. I hope that there are always rooms available there in the future if I have the great fortune of going back to Peru!

• Liked — EVERYTHING--cleanliness, friendliness, location, cottagey atmosphere
  • Disliked — first-floor room
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lalabelle84