Open today: 08:30 - 13:00, 15:00 - 19:30
Review Highlights
2 day/one night Inka Trail trek to Macchu Piccu

We decided to do the day and a half trek Inca Trail tour to see Macchu Piccu. We were so fortunate... read more

Reviewed today
felicias933
Palo Alto, California
via mobile
Exceptional Tour

We could not have done this trip without Nilton our tour guide,Gregorio our head porter, Dionicio... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Kim J
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Cusco
from US$479.00
from US$788.00
from US$45.00
from US$479.00
8,793 results
All reviews green machine inca trail cake chose alpaca machu picchu juan carlos head porter every meal amazing experience food was amazing sleeping bags once in a lifetime other companies sous chef making sure these guys whole team
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 March 2019

Our group of four people did the 2 day/1 night hike with a hotel stay (Jaya Hotel), along with two other groups for a total of 9 people. It was an amazing experience. I cannot say enough great things about our guides! Jamie and Marcial were EXCELLENT, kind, happy, funny and encouraging. Jamie was our main guide, and Marcial was our other guide, usually bringing up the rear in true encouraging fashion. They were always allowing us time to catch our breath, telling us stories, historical tidbits, and other general information about the Cusco area throughout the hike. Marcial was pointing out different orchids and other flowers to me, which was so appreciated! During our expedition we had two people feel ill, and both Jamie and Marcial jumped into action to make sure they were okay. Even when someone was too ill to make our 6am bus to Machu Picchu the next day, Marcial stayed to accompany her and even gave her a private tour of Machu Picchu until they could catch up with our group! They both went above and beyond in their jobs, and it was quite obvious they love what they are doing!

Communication to book the expedition was straightforward - you email them the type of trip, passport information, and any other details that are outlined on their website. Someone will confirm it with you, and you can make small changes to the itinerary if desired (like if you want to stay at a certain hotel, change your train time to Ollantaytambo, etc). They will confirm your request, and then re-confirm when all the permits are secured. You will be asked to pay a deposit via credit card, but will be charged a fee (5% of total). They will tell you that once you arrive in Cusco, you should go to their office for a debrief and to pay the remaining total in cash (US dollar or soles). You may use a credit card if you prefer, but there will be a 5% fee. Even though I did not like this system, all local companies will tack on a credit card fee and expect cash payments. I also wanted to note that tipping your guides should be an expectation - they do a wonderful job and work really hard. Please, please set aside some money on your last day (usually at Machu Picchu after the tour) to give them!

Overall, our experience with Alpaca Expeditions has been great, and I would not hesitate to use them again. I would highly recommend Jamie and Marcial!

Reviewed 25 March 2019 via mobile

Can’t say enough amazing things about Jose, Rodrigo, Chef Mario, and the Green Machine porters. They executed everything perfectly and made for a trip we’ll remember forever. Choose Alpaca Expeditions!!!

Reviewed 25 March 2019 via mobile

The experience we had with Alpaca was beyond AMAZING! They are very well organized (pick up, drop off, meals, etc). Our guide Lizandro was great!! He was super knowledgeable and also very personable. He made the trip very enjoyable and taught us a lot about the Inka’s and the native culture. I cannot say enough positive things about him and the experience that we had. The food every day was delicious! I have no idea how they made the food that they did on the side of a mountain without an actual kitchen. I was speechless when we had our first meal. Breakfast usually consisted of toast (jam and butter provided), tea, coffee, hot cocoa, sometimes eggs or fruits, porridge. Lunches and dinners were extravagant with chicken, rice, yuka, vegetables, etc. I’m a picky eater and I was very pleased with the array of food options.

I am not an avid hiker, however I did the 4 day Inka trail trek in order to see sites that are inaccessible to the tourists that only take the train (there were many sites that we visted that would have been otherwise missed if only doing a 1-2 day trek). Lizandro did a great job of letting us set the pace and was there to provide encouragement when needed. At lunch we had some time to relax and rejuvenate prior to the afternoon hiking. Again, everything was very well organized. I highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed 24 March 2019

I highly recommend Alpaca Expeditions for the Inca Trail! Our guides, Teddy and Manolo, did everything in their power to ensure we had the best experience - from the actual hiking, to food and knowledge of the area. Their passion for their country means that being a guide is more than a job to them.

An example of them going beyond the call of duty would be my dietary requirements (which I failed to let them know about until the night before our departure). Firstly, the food was exceptional. Chef Julio Caesar is a magician. Secondly, when there was a conflict with what I could eat, I was served separately. Considering how late I let them know, I would have been happy eating a granola bar, but the guides refused and went above and beyond.

The porters deserve a special mention, without whom the trail would be impossible. Our head porter, Gregorio, lead the team and they ensured that all our gear was where it needed to be by when it was needed - often resulting in porters almost jogging parts of the route. I have a tremendous respect for them. We even had a high altitude soccer game against them!

Overall, this company is very well run and all your needs are met in the most professional way. An incredible experience all round!

Date of experience: March 2019
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 24 March 2019

I trekked with Alpaca 3/18-3/21/19 with guides Ronald and Jhymy. The trek was absolutely amazing. My travel partners and I seriously considered attempting to trek to Machu Picchu unguided as we have much hiking experience, but ultimately decided to go with a guide because we wanted to walk the Inka Trail. We could not have made a better decision. Ronald and Jhymy were accommodating to all of our (and our groups) many needs. They made sure to stop along the way to teach us about Peruvian/Inca culture and history and to give us an excellent understanding of the Inca way of life before reaching Machu Picchu. The entire Alpaca team-- from booking to guides to the porters to the overall experience was extremely professional and went above and beyond. From morning wake ups with "room service" (in-tent coca tea) to helping us keep our spirits up in the rain, they did it all. Would highly recommend booking with this company.