US$131
  • Restaurant
US$710
La Morada(Cusco)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe san pedro markethostelbedstourcourtyard
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We booked Marlon's on recommendation of friends.

We arrived at 2am and were glad to be let in the building but arrived to no record of our booking, even though I had confirmation from Hostel Bookers. The notebook style booking record clearly doesn't work as the guy had no idea if there was room or not so ended up turning all the lights on and knocking on everyone's doors to see if rooms were occupied.

Eventually, after wandering around and waking people up several times, he worked out there was only space in the dorm, so we took the double in there and he assured us the following night there was a double room with private bathroom (as we'd originally wanted).

The bed in the dorm was beyond uncomfortable with springs stuck in your back and as soon as people start getting up for breakfast, you wake up too. There is also not actually enough room for the bags which would accompany the six guests which would be squashed in the room were in full.

There is only one shower/toilet which is a pain and it's right by breakfast. The room is also cold so you do need to wrap up.

Pre breakfast we were informed that despite what we were told on arrival, there was no space that coming night. They kindly moved us to another hostel Sumayaq, which was a few doors down and as the other hostel didn't offer breakfast (they do now), they gave us breakfast at Marlon's each day.

In fairness, we had only booked the room the afternoon before we were due to arrive and I know sometimes it's not enough time for hostels to process the booking. But unfortunately while at breakfast we met three other people who had booked rooms in person before heading out on treks, only to return and the room they booked not be available, and have been put in the dorm.

The breakfast is very good, and the staff are really lovely which are definite pluses. It is also a very well located hostel and is probably great when quiet. They just don't seem to be able to manage bookings if they are busy.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Overall impression ok. I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't give it a better review. First off, if you went to the website and saw the stay longer for 2 days you get a reduced rate deal....they don't honor it. Why I don't know since it's on the website. They said they couldn't do it since the owner wasn't there. Isn't that what telephones are for? The discounted price was one of the reasons why I stayed here. Very disappointed. The people are nice that work here, but at night the young guy working played the music very loud and talked very loud...past 10. People were sleeping. And smoking inside? Not cool. The shower is nice, although there is only one for the dorm rooms. And one toilet with no handsoap at the sink to wash your hands. Gross. Not too bad, but I'm sure when it's busy it sucks. The building is cold in the mornings, so wear layers. The beds are a bit outdated with a few broken springs, but I got used to it and have had good nights sleep. Besides the snoring people....if you know your a snorer, get your own room. The breakfast tho makes up for everything. Bread, butter, jam, eggs cooked how you like, fruit and vegetables. granola with yogurt, coffee, tea. Very yummy. Oh...a recycling bin here would be awesome! Empty plastic bottles all over. Basically if they kept their word (per the website) about a discounted price, and made a few changes I would have given a better review. I felt a bit screwed tho. Oh well. I would recommend it tho just for the breakfast and location!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Marlon's House is a very good hostel for a very reasonable price. It's located in a quiet street about 5-10 minutes walk from the main square. The staff is very nice and helpful, even if you don't book the tours with them or when you arrive in the middle of the night. We had a big room with a clean bathroom, there is a beautiful patio where you can relax and where the (very good) breakfast is served and they have a well equiped kitchen.
Very much recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Marlon Edwin S, Gerente at Marlon's House Cusco-Peru, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2015

Dear Customer.

It was a pleasure to have your visit to Perú and specially to our hostel in Cusco. we hope that you really enjoyed your stay at our hostel and of course you took some good memories about our country.

We really appreciatte your contribution about our hostel and you know we are very happy for the time you join with us.

God Bless you!!!!

Kind Regards.

Atte.

Marlon's House Cusco.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was my first experience staying at a hostel. Overall, it was pretty decent considering the cheap price. We stayed there for two nights during the last week of May and returned for one night in June.

Airport Pick Up - Marlon's House provides airport transportation for $10. The drivers were on time.

Location - Very close to the main plaza. Everything we wanted to see in Cusco was a close walk away from Marlon's.

Bedroom - For the first part of our stay, we had a room with a private bathroom on the first floor. We ended up having an extra bed in our room, which was kind of nice because we could put all of our clothes and stuff on the extra bed and not have everything on the floor. My only complaints are that the bed was really hard/uncomfortable and the room was very close to the breakfast dining area so it was always very loud. For the second part of our stay, we had a room with a private bathroom on the second floor. This room was fine and a lot quieter than the first room. My only complaint was that the covers on the bed had a few stains on them.

Bathroom - The bathrooms in both rooms were clean and the toilet worked fine. The shower never really got warm, which kind of sucked considering how cold the temperature was in the early morning and late night. I never really felt warm the entire time I was at Marlon's.

Food - The breakfast was great! There was pound cake, eggs, bread, yogurt, etc. And tea...I swear that is the only thing that warmed me up on those cold mornings!

Luggage - While we were on the Salkantay 5 day trek, we were able to keep our extra luggage at Marlon's. Everything was fine and I picked my luggage up after the trek. Nothing was stolen.

Security - I felt very safe at Marlon's. They have a doorbell on the door and no one can come in unless you ring the door bell and someone lets you enter.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor...it gets very loud on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for around 7 nights in Marlon´s House, Cusco at the start of May. It was a really good base to explore Cusco. It was a 5 minute walk into town and the staff were really helpful at showing us on the map where everything was! We had a private en-suite room, which was clean, spacious and always had hot water. Breakfast was included and there was bread, cereal, coffee/teas etc and even eggs, which was nice! They had facilities for you to cook if you wanted and there was a fridge too - although we only really cooked quick meals like soup/pasta. They also had a computer for guests to use free of charge, which was really useful! Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and continued on to stay in Marlon´s Houses in Arequipa and Puno afterwards.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple