All reviews thick stone walls cactus garden lovely courtyards center city boil water beautiful small hotel never stay anywhere else pretty garden an oasis of calm two blocks historic property spent nights at this hotel vaulted ceilings yogurt colca canyon booked this hotel appointed rooms
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here, along with our 2 son's ( ages 8 & 12) for 4 nights. This is the most amazingly quaint hotel. The architecture is beautiful and every inch of the place is unique. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the beds extra comfortable. A delicious breakfast is served every morning, making it the perfect start to your day exploring Arequipa. The location is excellent...just a few minutes walk to the Plaza de Armas, yet the beautiful courtyard and gardens of the hotel make you feel removed from the hustle and bustle of the city. As mentioned before in previous reviews, Joshua is nothing short of amazing. It seems a disservice to call him only a concierge since he does so many tasks at the hotel. But most importantly his helpfulness with trip planning is amongst the best. He single-handedly planned our trip onward to Chivay, booked our bus tickets to Puno, made reservations for us at the delicious Zig Zag restaurant (highly recommend), found a guide to accompany us to a bull fight, and made arrangements for us to get our yellow fever vaccinations at a local clinic. Even if the hotel weren't already perfect, just having Joshua's help would be worth the stay. But thankfully everything at Casona Solar is the best! Ill never stay anywhere else in Arequipa.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie N
Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel is in a renovated colonial mansion a few blocks from the Plaza De Armis. Our room, the common area, and the gardens were all lovely. No problem with very late check in after an 8 hour flight delay. Breakfast was good, and Joshua helped us arrange travel to Colca Canyon that suited our schedule and itinerary, something that I was unable to do online in advance of our arrival. All in all, an excellent stay.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank diana8433
Reviewed 20 November 2017

I can't believe this hotel! It was stunning!!! And compared to what you'd pay in the United States, such good value! We stayed here two nights (one night before our canyon trek, and the night we returned). We told them we were going on a canyon trek and they packed us a lunch to take. Again, when we had a 7am flight out of Arequipa to Lima. What hotel packs you a lunch??!!! We left our bags here and I never had concerns about safety or things going missing. And when we came back to check in our bags were waiting in our room for us. Both rooms we stayed in were amazing. And the garden in the back of the hotel is a must-visit. I wish we had gotten take out and a bottle of wine and eaten dinner in the courtyard rather than going to the restaurant we went to... The ambience would have been nicer!!! I would definitely return!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheklaH
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel was amazing! Excellent value for your money. The place is charming by itself, a little oasis in the middle of the city, with nice gardens and relaxing areas. The rooms are beautiful and extremely clean. Breakfast was simple, but more than enough, with fruits, bread, hams and cheese available and they will cook eggs for you at the moment. However, what made this stay so much more than I expected is the staff and service...outstanding! I do have to mention Joshua, he was the person in charge of the front desk most of the time and he was wonderful. He helped me in every way he could to make my stay more enjoyable and, as a single female traveler, I appreciate the effort to make me feel safe and well taken care of. He always was willing to give recommendations on what to do, explain directions, help to get a taxi (even waited with me outside the hotel to find a taxi), helped me contact my previous hotel for a forgotten item there, do a late check-out, even include a little extra on the breakfast egg serving if I requested it if I was starving (after a long night :-) enjoying the city). They even give you a pisco bottle at the end of your stay as a farewell gift. This was by far the most enjoyable stay in my 35 days in Peru and will go back in a heartbeat. And the price was unbeatable. Thanks Casona Solar for being such a wonderful hotel and Joshua for being such an amazing host!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Great staff very welcoming helpful warm and friendly. Great rooms which are very spacious. The gardens and the terrace are beautiful and the breakfast is amazing! I would defiantly recommend this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family