All reviews spanish classes cooking class cooking school central garden peruvian cooking experience colca canyon lovely garden large courtyard lovely place to relax eggs bread the hotel staff read a book few blocks three weeks rooms are basic loved this hotel
Reviewed 7 November 2015

I stayed at the Casa de Avila for 2 weeks as a student of the attached Spanish School Arequipa. The staff were excellent and very helpful. The student rooms are simple, but clean and have everything you need, including enough warm blankets! The garden area is just lovely for studying or hanging out after a big day and the food is reliably good.

The Spanish School was fantastic. I had Jeanette as my conversational teacher and she was amazing. Really nice, a great teacher and lots of fun to chat to, in either language! She adapted the classes to cover the topics I was interested in and I learned a fair amount of functional Spanish in just 2 weeks. The grammar classes were harder, but very well structured. If you want to learn Spanish, I would recommend at least a week at Casa de Avali and the Spanish School.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Armando E, Manager at Casa de Avila - For Travellers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2015

Thank you very much for your comments. We will keep on doing our best with our Spanish School. All our guests are invited to take some time in Spanish classes. Hope what you learned will help you in your trip

Reviewed 23 October 2015

Excellent hotel with very helpful staff. Breakfasts very good, with large courtyard and choice of indoor or outdoor seating. Lovely room overlooking courtyard. Staff recommended a walk to nearby park away from downtown.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 21 October 2015

Casa de Avila has some great and wonderful staff, very helpful and always polite. Great courtyard for eating and studying Spanish, okay breakfast (the usual fare). The room we had was clean, shower was great. Quiet location (at least by my standards).
Interestingly, the clientele here is mostly older so if you're young and looking to party this is definitely not your kind of place. They also have a resident tortoise who wanders around the garden :-)

Room Tip: Second Floor corner is best
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2015

This is certainly one of the best hotels I've stayed during my trip to Peru. It was an amazing surprise since we booked it without consulting trip advisor. The hotel is very very well located (close to most of the tourist places, markets, restaurants, etc). The structure of the hotel is simply amazing (it's like a big house turned into a hotel and there's an indoor garden which is the most relaxing place to stay and enjoy breakfast or read a book) and beautiful. Breakfast was really good and abundant. Staff was really lovely and helped us with everything we needed. We arrived really tired from a 12 hour bus trip from Ica and they upgraded our reservation to a king size bed. That was really really nice. I couldn't be any happier with my stay and I recommend this hotel to anyone!! It's excellent

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2015

I spent a week at the spanish school doung the 20 hour Intensive individual program. My teachers were brilliant and I learnt so much in a quick time. The staff at the hotel were also very friendly and professional. I really liked having two teachers. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo