See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 November 2012

It's a (very slighly steep) 15 mn walk or a 4 soles taxi (2012) away from the loud plaza de Armas.
I had room 104, internal windows= silent room,
Charming architecture: lovely carved wood, mahogany flooring.
Easy satin lounge chairs, many beautiful picture books of all Peruvian regions to consult.
Bathroom serves soapies and things, not usual for this price rate.
Ever so helpfull staff : we inquired for the current rate of silver, MariLou took the trouble of phoning three jewlers to find out ! (silver between 9 and 12 soles / gram => buy in Lima, mercado central for they have 5 - 8 soles /gram) also, we craved fresh papaya with a bit of lime and were not charged extra (The American Breakfast includes eggs.)
The slow but available computer on the second floor will be replaced in a near future.
Excellent price/quality !! We all enjoyed our stay at El Balcon !! We recommend it

Room Tip: room 104 is very calm !
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Previous recent reviews say it all. Gorgeous old mansion, short walk to city center, helpful and pleasant staff, nice comfortable rooms, great breakfast. Good value for the money. No surprises or unplesentness. The hotel is a little bit off the beaten path so don't be surprised if the taxi driver from the airport seems to be wandering around leafy residential neighborhoods. That said the location is really charming and pleasent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This hotel is located in a former mansion, and is a short walk away from Arequipa's city centre and the Plaza de Armas. The staff is exceptionally friendly and very helpful.

Room and bathroom were decent and the breakfast is prepared to personal preference. There's a computer upstairs that's free to use and lots of books and maps present. When you're not sure about walking back to the hotel at night (Arequipa is not a safe city, apparently), the staff will gladly arrange a taxi for you and give you several numbers that you can call.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Day or late night it was a fast walk to La plaza de Armas and back. El Balcon is full of wonderful people readdy to make your stay a wonderful one. Continental breakfast included,but if you would like anything different just ask. When In Peru we walk as much as possible so that we will be ready for our Machupicchu hike in Cuzco.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I was in Peru for a month. I stayed in Arequipa for 5 days and stayed at this small lovely former mansion now converted to a boutique hotel.
The staff were excellent in everything they did. From the chef, the doorman to the 2 brilliant receptionists (Flor & Liliana) who made my stay (including recovery from an incident in town) to booking and recommending onward excursions including Cuzco, flights and train tickets to Machhu Picchu, I could not fault them, they were kind and professional.
I had to use the internet often which had a small fee per hour, but that was fine by me, 3 or 4 pc's located on first floor lobby.
They had a non fussy outlook but still took great care of the couple of customers that week. I don't know if they get a lot of visitors or not (very few when I was there) but I have no hesitation in recommending here.
While the hotel is a former mansion in the city, its only about 15 minutes walk from centre of Arequipa, it is very safe, very secure.
Each room is individually decorated. They even have a roof top terrace on the 3rd floor - and charming small garden surrounding the house. If I get a chance to visit Peru again I would like to go back and see if the second time round is as good as the first. Given the care the staff took of the guests and given the cosy feel to this house I hope not to be disappointed in future.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo