“This is #1 - No Doubt!”

Dos Sucres
Ranked #20 of 665 Restaurants in Cuenca
Price range: US$4 - US$16
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Description: "Dos Sucres" is the fruit of the desire to live the culinary dream, manage your own kitchen. Daniel with an entrepreneurial, creative and persevering character, after he finished his culinary studies decides to start a restaurant proposal. A project with the aim of rescuing the flavors of Ecuador. He along with his team aspire to give a twist in the methods of alimentation and diet through an Ecuadorian modern kitchen.
Reviewed 27 May 2018

Went for a business lunch with a VIP Customer that was visiting from abroad (Germany, UK, US). Daniel was kind enough to walk them through the menu, plate by plate, in English, which they really appreciated.

After that, he asked us to leave everything for him after I explained a little bit the likes and dislikes of the guests. The food was INCREDIBLE, pork, lamb, chicken, everything with the right sides and terms. Desert was mouse and ice cream, which were really well executed.

Staff was supper attentive and they made us feel we were the only customers in the place (actually there were 5 or 6 full tables!).

So for me and my guests, this was the best food in a rally of 4 days of Cuenca food, which I greatly appreciated. So, congratulations to Daniel and his staff. You make Ecuadorian food look better and much more appreciated!!

Totally recommended if you are in town

Reviewed 18 May 2018

Chef Daniel is an artist with food... he treats you to beautiful and tasty meals, or tasting menus, while sharing the glories of his Ecuadorian culture. His English is also spot on for gringos. Don't miss a perfect lunch or dinner at his cozy cafe.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

My husband and I as well as our friends were celebrating anniversaries. We had read about this restaurant in our guestbook in our condo rental. We decided to take a chance since the review in the book was really exhaustive.

All four of us decided to really splurge ordering the 11 course taster dinner. Our waitress did not speak English, so the chef Daniel came out to explain what this entailed. He also came out for each course so we not only knew what we were about to enjoy, but also a bit of the history of the dish. Many are family recipes.

I have to say without any hesitation, after traveling to over 70 countries, this is the best meal I have ever eaten. (I hope my grandmother's spirit forgives me!)

You need to plan 2-3 hours for this dinner. It is not eating, it is a life experience.

I have lots of photos, but we only wished we had thought to record Daniel's explanations, so we could remember what was what. Even not remembering the dish names or ingredients, they still make me drool.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

The food is a very creative aproach on ecuadorian cusine, with great taste and prices!
Is a most go when in Cuenca. Also the service is quick and very nice.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this restaurant on the recommendation of friends who were raving about the food here a few weeks ago. I was certainly not disappointed- this was the most accomplished food I’ve tried in Ecuador, and I’m confident to say this restaurant would likewise hold its own amongst the better restaurants found in Lima.
The attention to detail is fantastic and the menu is playful, experimenting with quintessential Ecuadorian flavours and presenting them in a new but familiar way. I ate 1) gnocchi made from mote corn with local herb pesto 2) roast pork belly with corn, potato cake and avocado cream- a traditionally heavy dish made light by the chefs touch.
It’s wine list is good, with many available by the glass which makes a refreshing change. Front of house Eric was attentive and patient with my labile Spanish.
How this restaurant is not in Cuenca’s top 3, I will never know. Get here now.

Estos platos estan tan rico, no puedo entender porque este restuarante no es numero uno de Cuenca. Necesitas visitarlo pronto! Estoy un foodie tiquismiquis, pero tengo nada pero elogios para Dos Sucres y su personal. Gracias a Eric por tu ayuda y recomendaciones!