“Anniversary Dinner”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Providencia
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Wow. We ate here on our last night in Santiago, it was a recommendation from our hotel

We new the serves were quite large so just had main course. The cassoulet was superb and my wife's duck breast was cooked to perfection. We had a couple of lovely glasses of carminere on recommendation from the waitress

My wife's Pisco sour must of been strong as she went a little giggly.

Reasonably priced and they don't accept tips. Ps you need to dress up to come here no travellers garb

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (2,526)

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Nice long lunch today
Good wine ( recommend the sol de sol ) wit oysters , médula de res , and pulpo - very nice with good service
All in all a great experience

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I went there because all the positive reviews and, specially, as they are supposed to be wine experts.
I ask for some recomendation for a glass of Carmenere; they did not know much how to describe it . Had to call another waitress, he also knew very little (had no language to describe the wines) and recommended one which I had to give back inmediatly because it was basically flat dead. Second glass was marginally better , but much worst that the cheap , fruity, low alcohol Carmeneres that cost 2 Euros per bottle in a supermarket in Santiago.

The food : I order the classic from the house ;beef bourguignon; I tasted as a bacon soup. Overdone with the fat from the pig bacon killing all possible nice smells that are usual in this plate ( anions, beef , red wine ) . Portion was very small which was actually good as I would not have been able to eat it all considering the bad taste.

The bill : 20.000 pesos ( 30 Euros ) .... way to much

conclusion: over rated place, possible connected to the widespread snobism dominating the chilean gastronomical landscape.

I would recommend the owner to , basically, remove all the wines that he is offering per glass and find someone with taste to help him select a new set.
And for the Chef....I really dont know. . the way that plate was cooked looked to me for pretty incurable case.

2  Thank Roberto A
Reviewed 17 February 2017

Baco is only about 4 blocks from our hotel in Providencia area of Santiago. We stopped by an made a reservation. The young woman at the desk, the first person you meet there, was sullen and unhelpful. She was also that way when we went to dine at our designated reservation time. The impression she gives really hurts the first impression of this restaurant and she should, in my opinion, not be working there. The waiting staff is really a bit overworked and so although pleasant, they sometimes miss some little things they should be doing.

The menus is very interesting with less than half being about food and the rest about their Chilean wine selection, which is quite extensive. Portions are big and need to be shared. Their oysters are brilliant and not expensive. The beef tartare is much too large for one person. We started with excellent Iberico ham. Food is good. Not outstanding except for the oysters, but good. The wine selection is very good. It is a noisy, lively restaurant and certainly not one where you are encouraged to eat slowly and enjoy your time there.

As stated initially, they do not make you welcome when you arrive.

So consider all angles, but remember to book for dinner or you probably won't get in.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Popular restaurant in Providencia. Good wine list, Chile focused. Food is French-inspired. Had a tasty octopus appetizer, and delicious beef bourgignon. They have a nice patio in the back to enjoy the evening outdoors.

Date of visit: January 2017