“Great spot”

Pizzeria Italia
Ranked #48 of 5,396 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In Italy it is known if a pizza is good for 4 reasons: taste, aroma, easily digestible, and most important: If its technique comes from the area of Naples, as well as the Executive Pizza Chef of the pizzeria 1talia, who has just arrived to Chile. We advice you to make a reservation.
Reviewed 13 July 2015

My favorite pizza spot in Santiago. Quality pizza and really nice owners. It's the place I recommend to all my friends for a quality pizza in the city.

Reviewed 21 May 2015

Was excited to see a pizza spot this highly ranked, given our city's lack of a decent slice. Unfortunately this place seems to have a very inflated TA ranking.

First things first, the pizza. Dough, admittedly very good, best part of the pizza. Thin, well cooked, nice crust, tasty. Next, the sauce. It's okay, nothing special, you can kind of tell that they're not exactly top of the line ingredients.

Then, the cheese, also okay, but pretty poorly applied to the pizza. That dreaded scenario where you bite into the slice and instead of getting just that bite, you pull off almost all the cheese off the slice? Yeah, that happened. Not cool.

Then the rest of the restaurant... Service consisted of one awkward dude who did a decent job. They kind of make a thing out of serving you paper plates and plastic cups, as if it was added charm or something... It doesn't, you can't cut a slice with a plastic knife. The decoration consisted of the most stereotypical Italian things literally printed on standard pieces of paper, taped to the walls. I actually found this hilarious and liked it, even if it was probably unintentional.

Overall, decent pizza, restaurant itself could use some work. Unfortunately not even close to worthy of a top 50 spot in the city.

5  Thank Action B
Reviewed 15 May 2015

The pizza is ok, but they are a bit pretentious. Thy tell you a story that they recreate the pizza you can have in Naples when, they cook in an elecric oven and you have to pay extra if you want a pizza with real mozzarella. I have been in Naples and eaten at Sorbillo´s (they picture of it in their walls), and it is nothing similar to what they serve.
They serve you the pizza in paper plate, as it was a cheap pizza place in Naples, but the price is not cheaper that any posh place in Santiago.
It was not bed, that I was disappointed. No worth to come back for me.

5  Thank Pollonpri
Pizzeria I, Proprietario at Pizzeria Italia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2015

Nothing to pretend. There're many reasons why we don't make pizza just like in Naples, and there're no stories we go telling our customers. Specially to customers who writing in English seek the following:

1. To teach us how to make pizza (attempt taken place right after she showed her lack of knowledge on the "napolitan pizza" argument).
2. To show off by telling us she had eaten in one of the world's most famous pizzerias: Sorbillo (which makes it all worst given what's said on point 1).
3. To write in English so that we don't realize who they are.
4. To argue that our prices are off the line, and this is done with an unfair measure, not supported by an objective vision.

Concerning this woman's motives to wirte this comment, we could seek an answer in the fields of social science. Given this isn't an adequate place to do so, we will leave that space to others who are used to leave their opinion written all over the internet, which nowadays is the pretty thing of internet, isn't it?

Reviewed 8 May 2015 via mobile

The best pizza that I've had in South America!

I've been travelling South America for 2 months (Cuba, Peru, Bolivia & Argentina) and this is the best pizza I've had; if using paper plates and plastic cutlery doesn't bother you (it shouldn't when the food is this good) then this is a must-eat in Santiago.

As well as superlative pizzas, the prices are very reasonable - 5,000 pesos for a Margherita; 6500-8500 for everything else which is very cheap for Santiago. The owner's wife speaks excellent English and is very welcoming which is useful if, like me, your Spanish could do with some improvement!

To summarise, excellent food at reasonable prices and if you prioritise food quality over opulence in your dining experience then it's a must visit in Santiago...

1  Thank ronminnie
Reviewed 9 April 2015

surprised by the high rating on all Santiago Restaurants, I went for a try and found a "boliche" with plastic service and paper cups, where you are instructed to eat by hand. which is all good and nice; but in no way a top 10 restaurant for a 5 million inhabitants city. actually it takes away a lot of trust into TripAdvisor pointing system. Yes it is a good pizza; but I do remember a pizza I ate once in Napoli and the tomato sauce was not that acid and the place was with normal plates and cutlery; plus a nice cup of wine. I guess you should put this into the category street food - to differentiate.

2  Thank SuizoL