“Good Beef Bourguignon”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2015

First time coming here, and ordered beef bourguignon, the tenderness is so amazinggg... and their pistachio based dessert also great

Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

Most of the food was fantastic, the entrecôte was the best piece of meat I have had in a long time!
The French onion soup, tres bien!!
The pasta starter was tasteless, though.

The staff was efficient and polite, no more no less.

Summary: Not a fine dining restaurant, at all, but really good food!!

Reviewed 16 January 2015

When Saveur opened its branch at Bugis (Purvis Street), I've heard all about its offering at very good food at very affordable prices. But the hour-long queues always prevented me from checking the place out, until the opening of its branch at Far East Plaza, which has a healthy amount of patrons but no queue. I have been back three times since.

We started with the Mushroom Soup (SGD$4.90) which comes in a frothy, cappuccino style and served in a cup. Rich in dark mushroomy flavor and hot in its serving, this tiny cup of soup is definitely an appetite whetting choice.

This Saveur's Pasta (SGD$4.90) is my favorite! Despite its simple ingredients of just chilli oil, finely-chopped kombu, minced pork sauce, chives and sakura ebi, the flavor is just fantastic. It explodes in the mouth in a mixture of spicy and saltiness, with very springy angel hair pasta. One would not believe this delicious pasta goes at this incredible price for sure.

The Chicken Roulade (SGD$9.90) is another fabulous dish here at Saveur's - tender chicken thigh stuffed with buttery rich foie gras infused chicken farce, creamy basmati rice and parmesan sauce. Flavors are aplenty for this dish, and the teeth is treated to a good textures dance as well.

For full review and more photographs, please feel free to visit:

Reviewed 14 January 2015

A year ago, I was outside Saveur at Purvis St with a friend and we were told we had to wait an hour. This year, I happened to be in the neighbourhood and so I went.

The first bad sign was that the toilet was like a kopi-tiam (coffeeshop) toilet. There was a leak at the sink and there were crates of waterbottle just outside the door--like a kopi-tiam.

A toilet shows what you care about when you think no one is watching.

We ordered the onion soup, the Nicoise salad, the duck confit ("that's what we are famous for") and the seabass.

The portions are tiny. Even the $6 Chardonnay. I think it's the smallest glass of non-dessert wine I've ever paid for. I suppose one cannot quibble for the price one pays.

The French onion soup was pretty good. It missed some umami but was still tasty.

The Nicoise salad was all right but nothing memorable. Yes, there was an attempt at plating but that was probably the highlight of plating.

The seabass was fine for a lady.

The duck confit was small (I felt hungry after paying the bill), dry, and looked like it had been through a press. But it was tasty and better than some duck confits I have tried elsewhere. It was mounted on mashed potato and I thought the mash smooth but my dinner companion thought it could be smoother.

But if the duck was what they were famous for, we thought we should not order anything else.

The bill for the two of us--with just one glass of wine and no coffee/tea or dessert--came up to S$60. Which is the positioning of the restaurant.

If you see this as French food in a koptiam, then it's worth a shot. Yes, it's $60 but in a proper place that would be the bill for one person.

But if you consider French food as being accompanied by good wine, plated with some height (as opposed to being through a press) (but at $60 for one person), then it's likely you will not go/return.

I think Saveur needs to 1. Look into the toilet because it demonstrates values more loudly than the well-intentioned verses in the menu. 2. Get its expansion act together because I cannot imagine queues forming for the current quality.

Reviewed 12 January 2015 via mobile

Came here today to try the set lunch. I opted for the pasta, the duck confit and the pannacotta for dessert whilst my companion chose the soup, the sea bass and the Creme brûlée. We supplemented with iced tea. Food was quite decent given the price. Service was a little haphazard but efficient enough. The place was totally full (Monday lunch) so reservations seem to be essential. Worth a visit: easy walk from City Hall or Bugis mrt.