“Average Hotel, Overpriced”

Ranked #78 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Toowoomba, Australia
“Average Hotel, Overpriced”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed for a week at the Amara on business. This was my company's preferred hotel, due to it's proximity to the office. Having worked and lived in Singapore for this company, wondered about the choice, knowing the price. Better deals to be had in Singapore for sure. Check in was fine, but after waiting 15 minutes in my room for my bag to be delivered, went down and got it myself. Good job I did, because they had the wrong room number on the tag anyway. Room was adequate and clean, bed was very good, usual hard Asian style which I don't mind. Bathroom sink was missing the stopper, broken off some time ago, which was an inviting trap to lose jewellery, toiletry items, small children in. One day my towell actually had holes in it, it was that worn. And my usual gripe for people that read my reviews, failure to replace the tea bags I had used in the morning. How hard can it be, see 2 used tea bags, surmise that they will require replacing.
Breakfast is good, included in the exhorbitant price, as was internet, but hard to get a table if you were there after 7:30, If the hotel is full, they should open up to the eatery on the other side for table space. Knowing my way around Singapore, the location is good, five minute walk to MRT, then you are 10 minutes from anywhere.
Note that throughout the hotel they promote the Czech Microbrewery, in lifts, in hotel guide etc., even saying they are the only hotel with a microbrewey in it. Went for dinner there one night, but when I went to have it put on my room, was told they are not part of the hotel. If you eat there, and the food and beer is good, make sure you have cash if your credit card is not Visa or Mastercard.
Check out was efficient, but in usual style, I was pointed to the total amount and asked to sign. Requesting to examine the detail resulted in a dirty look. Of course the price per room quosted excludes ++ of 27%, which would come as a shock to Australians where VAT, GST etc, is always included in the quoted price. Finally, why don't hotels ask if you have an Airline Card you want points credited to when checking in or out? It was an early check out, and I forgot, Having spent nearly $3000 Singapore dollars there, would have appreciated those pints on one of my cards.
There are 2 new hotels being constructed in the area. Maybe this may force prices down.

Room Tip: If you dont need internet or breakfast in the hotel, opt out of that package. Plenty of Singapore ea...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Managemt-Amara-Sing, Manager at Amara Singapore Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Forecaster255340,

Thank your taking your time to rate us and allowing us to look and improve in areas where it needs improve our service standards to you and other guests.

As for room prices it depends on the corporate rates offered to your company and also the occupancy in our hotel and in general the whole of Singapore.

We are looking into the highlighted service issues and regret the unfortunate service lapses you have encountered. They will be addressed accordingly to satisfy all our guests needs as best as we can.

Thank you!

Best Regards
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
kl
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Please compare your rates first before you make the booking.
Especially booking with agoda.com which stated that they having the best rates. Actually, i had been booking with agoda.com for so long time. But just recently i noticed that actually they were not having the best rates, once i tried to compare with others. Finally, i found that the rate given in the agoda.com was not worth it as the rates for agoda.com was excluded breakfast, without wi-fi and standard room. The hotel rates which provided by hotel itself is just a little bit higher, included breakfast for 2, free wi-fi and executive room. Further, on the process in booking, i noticed that the agoda.com was failure to disclose the actual packages which caused confusion on the consumers. Therefore, i had also made several complaints to them in calls and emails. However, they just keep ignoring and muddle through. So better check properly the packages and rates.

Room Tip: Better compare your rates and packages first.
1 Thank mk t
Dear mk t,

Thank you for your valubale feedback in terms of service and pricing.

We are look ino the mattter and assure you we are looking into improving service standards and provide more value added offerings to delight our guests during their stay.

Best Regards
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I've always stayed in Amara for my business trips since 2006, and generally I am satisfied with the overall experience. I've grown to know some of the staff members, and it's always pleasant to be greeted by a smile from familiar faces, some already addressing me by my name (like Mr. Amin, Santi, Trina). For a frequent traveler like me, it makes every trip less stressful and more memorable whenever you stay at a hotel that makes you feel closer to home. However, I have noticed that over the years, service has deteriorated. While the front desk staff has been consistently courteous and warm, the room service staff, particularly the lady who always answers to take orders, lacks courtesy, always in a hurry and quite moody (sometimes she is flexible with tiny special requests, and sometimes she is not and won't budge). The old cleaning lady is also quite abrasive; once even taking my room key card out of the slot while i was away, and taking it with her! I understand the need to eco-save, but for me, I have always wanted to come back to a cool room, especially after a long and hard day at work. I did not like it that she got the key and took it away just like that. Lastly, I hope the hotel can also evaluate and improve its in-room dining presentation. I noticed that some dishes that I would regularly order, are not presented in a consistent manner. There are days when it is nicely put together, and there are days when, for the same dish, it doesn't have some of the usual add-on like jam, bread on the side, etc. When you're a regular guest, you easily notice these things and feel shortchanged when what you used to get is much better than what you're getting now.

I stay in Amara not only because it's right across my office, but because I've learned to make my stay comfortable and easy here already. However, if these disappointing things continue to show, I guess I will re-think it next time, and maybe choose to stay elsewhere, even if I have to pay extra for cab fare everyday.

1 Thank Maria Jessica B
Thank you for your faithful patronage over the last 6 years. It is always good to receive constant feedback on how to improve on our service standards. We are looking into the highlighed issues mentioned and will review them accordingly.

Thank you for taking your time to review us and we definitely look forward to receiving you again with improvements made to your stay.

Amara Singapore
mumbai
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was my third stay in this hotel in last one year; but alas this time I was disappointed. Although the hotel is conveniently located, but the quality of service has deteriorated over the period. The rooms are equipped below expectation and the staff is average.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors could be less disturbing.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank charoos
Managemt-Amara-Sing, Manager at Amara Singapore Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear charoos,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have shared your feedback with the respective departments. Your comments will help us to continuously monitor and upgrade our quality of service.

We love to hear from you and invite you to email to us at singapore@amarahotels.com to allow us to extend our regrets and ensure that your next visit with us will prove to be a significantly better experience.

Yours Sincerely,
Amara Hotels & Resorts
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just over a week, loved every minute of it. The Staff were very friendly and couldnt be more helpful. The room was great, nice bathroom etc, and the complementary water every day was a nice touch. A short walk to Chinatown and the MRT, although we only used the MRT once, as the taxi's are incredibley cheap in Singapore. Plenty of dining options nearby too. Don't eat at the Chec Republic resturant attached to the hotel, it is over priced and rubbish...If you are hungry the 24 Cafe inside the foyer is very nice and reasonably priced for a hotel. Happy hour is good also. I liked the location as it has pretty much everything you need but without the hussle and bussle of Orchid Rd etc.
We will definately stay here again..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jodi L

Thank you for your feedback.

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us is satisfactory, and will be sharing the positive feedback with the respective departments. This will definitely give them greater motivation as they realize their efforts and rigorous training have not gone unnoticed.

We would like to thank you for your patronage to our hotel and we hope your visit will always be an individual experience.

Yours Sincerely