“A tale of 2 hotels”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I wish i could write 2 reviews for this hotel, one would be about the service and the other about the current renovations.
So staying here has always been a dream and I got a chance to spend the night here as we toured the Far East. We arranged to be met at the airport and were briskly whisked away in our comfortable car to the door of the hotel.
Now I had read all the information on the hotel website on the renovation programme but i was still surprised to the extent of the work. In fact most of the hotel is closed, the iconic front facade covered by a painted sheet. The billiard room and bar is open, a courtyard with a fountain, a further room/reception area and then the rooms in the one wing adjacent to the road.The ground floor of this wing has the shop in it.Its actually more closed than open.
Now from the moment we arrived and taken to our room on the third floor we were looked after impeccably, with the most perfect service. The rooms are a celebration of the old colonial style and still maintain the old charm of knobs and dials and wooden furniture.
We had a welcome bowel of fruit and bottle of drink with a lovely welcome card. Check in was done in our room. The room and bathroom was just perfect and the attached lounge area comfortable. It has double doors leading to a communal balcony that runs the length of the building overlooking the main room. The room is well insulated and there is no noise from the road.
Make sure you visit the corridor on the first floor which has rows of photos of the royalty and famous guests. As others have said you can still get your Singapore Sling from the bar.
We had a wonder through the shop for some souvenirs of our stay and sadly had to leave the next morning for our flight to Bangkok.
So back to my opening sentence, I now wonder had I known how little of the hotel was open whether I would have stayed there (there is no concession on room prices as far as I can see) on the other hand the history, ambience and service made it a memorable stay. I wonder whether the hotel website could have been a bit more explicit on what was left open during this period. I understand it will be closing completely for a short period before reopening and maybe that's actually what should have been done already as there really is so little of the original hotel open at the moment. So 4 stars are really for the service, if i was going to rate on the building it would have been a 3.
Maybe one day I will get another chance to visit once the work has finished and I can see it in all its glory and pomp.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Southendwesthamfan
Write a ReviewReviews (4,278)

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Historic surroundings, only drawback was renovations and a closed pool. Fantastic suite with friendly staff that all know your name during your stay. The original Singapore Sling in the bar is a must. Very delicate breakfast.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with raffles.com
1  Thank Sorlie
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Of course you have to have a Singapore Sling in Raffles when you visit Singapore. The hotel is undergoing significant renovation but they were still serving the famous drink in the Billiard Room, with the peanuts of course. We could see that the hotel is beautiful and I'm sure will be amazing once it reopens.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Couldn’t resist visiting Raffles for an iconic Singapore Sling whilst on holiday in Singapore in November 2017. Enjoyed seeing the hotel and taking some photographs but was so disappointed that the hotel is undergoing major refurbishment and we had to have our Sling in the Bar and Billiards Room rather than the Long Bar. Was also disappointed that the front of the hotel is covered with a sheet and I couldn’t get a real feel of the hotel as it should be. Saying that we ate in the Bar and Billiards Room, enjoying a light evening meal, and the food was really very good and very reasonably priced. The Singapore Sling was lovely ( if a little overpriced at £17!) and we did enjoy our experience of Raffles Hotel.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Misti66
Reviewed 16 November 2017

We went to Raffles as part of a business group. The hotel is currently under construction which the group organizers were not advised until just prior to our arrival. We did not see it in its grandeur- nor were we able to utilize more restaurants, or amenities. The one restaurant did not have the kitchen close by, so food service was a bit slower. I would love to go back when it is up and running in its full splendor! I did love the charming room and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small, but the integrity of the property loaned itself to that for which I am ok. Nonetheless I am very happy we stayed at Raffles and not at the other more contemporary properties in singapore! I'd love to return when it's done!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business