“Exquisite and Elegant Historical Hotel”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 24 January 2012

What can you say about the Raffles Hotel Singapore? Everything there is superlative. I was greeted by name when I arrived as If I were an old friend returning for a visit. I had a lovely and very large room facing on to the Fern Court where I could enjoy the quiet ambiance of this tropical garden. The room had a sitting area, bedroom, and a spacious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. The entire staff was extremely service oriented and helpful. Although the rooms have modern amentities, the hotel has not lost its colonial charm, which was evident everywhere you went. Meals were very good. I had the best hot chocolate there with my breakfast that I have ever had anywhere. Everything at the Raffles Hotel Singapore is very expensive (room, meals, etc.), but it is worth the splurge to spend a night at this outstanding and historical hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet location and enjoy plants, ask for a room facing the Fern Court.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Zaideeanne
Write a ReviewReviews (4,254)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I am currently writing this review while having my high tea at the very classy lounge on the second storey of the hotel. To put it simply, this must be the best hotel in Singapore, in terms of characters and charms. The service is excellent, like you would expect from the Mandarin Oriental or Ritz Carlton but with the extra touch from the butlers in the hotel. On the first day of my check in I was walking around the hotel ground but got 'lost' and suddenly a uniformed guy called out my name and said "Mr Sia your room is 223 and it is in that direction". I was pleasantly shocked because I have never seen him during my stay but yet he knows who I am. And then he introduced himself as Avalro and he is my butler. You can be staying at Ritz Carlton or Mandarin Oriental but regardless how nice the hotel or the room is, it is just another 5* hotel, but what sets Raffles hotel apart from others is the history behind it and you truely feel like going back in time and living the life of high society.

If I am not wrong this hotel went through a major renovation in the 90's but till date it has been maintained quite well. The whole hotel is like a labyrinth and after walking around a few times, I still couldn't quite figure out the hotel's floor plan, but it is this that adds to the charm coz every turn in a corner will delight you in many different ways.

I booked the Palm Court Suite but was upgraded to one of their Personality Suite (to be exact it is named Gavin Young whom I believe was a writer and you can find two of his written books in the room). To be honest I managed to peep into some of the other rooms types and I concluded that all the Courtyard Suites, Palm Court Suites and Personality Suites are of the same room design, other than the Courtyard Suites being few square meters smaller and lacking a powder table and Palm Court Suites and Personality Suites are exactly the same but the Personality Suites have the extra name tag on the door depending on which famous person it is attributing to. Judging on this I would say it is not worth the money to pay extra for the Palm Court Suite nor the Personality Suite.

I personally like the extra touch that they have door signs in front of the entrance saying 'Residents Only' and no outsiders can come in to the lobby unless you are a guest. This adds to the exclusivity of your stay, though I do get asked many times when entering the hotel since I am a local (which is no big deal though).

In a nut shell this is a truely fine and exquisite hotel and everything is excellent. You can just sit in the lobby sipping a cup of tea or reading a book and be mesmerized by the hotel's old world charm.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Omphaloskepsis
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I was in Singapore on business for 2 days at short notice and the lunar new year meant the normal Hotel I stay at (Fullerton) was fully booked. I stayed in a Courtyard Suite and the whole Hotel inside and out strikes a colonial ambiance that is fantastic but does not justify the price of around $500 a night.

The bad things: The shower is challenge as the faucet and controls must be originals and don't quite work. When you have worked it out the shower goes hot and cold at random.

The WiFi had similar kind of randomness which although it complimentary does nothing to help with business activities. The bed was squeaky and not the most comfortable. there was a leaflet espousing the different types of pillows that make sleeping more comfortable, but it seemed a hassle to sort that out with the Butler / Room Service.

That was another element that I was unsure of; whether to call room service on the phone or the butler on one of the 1890's buttons in the Living Room.

The staff, butler including down the hall were super attentive, but nobody really went out their way to make excellent. The Pool, Lobby and breakfast were first class.

The bed

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mmiller2367
Pierre J, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you for sharing comments on your visit to Raffles Hotel.

While I am delighted that you have enjoyed the hotel’s colonial ambiance, I am concerned to read about your experience whilst in residence.

We are always looking for ways to improve and your comments shall assist us in this regard. We await the pleasure of your next visit.

Best Regards,
Pierre Jochem, General Manager & Regional Vice President, Operations , Asia Pacific, Raffles Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We only stayed here for one night in March 2011. Difficult to make a real review on such a short stay.

Rooms were just fantastic with a plethora of character. Superb.
Lobby and the greeting was exceptional with a real old colonial feel to the experience and, of course, the decor has been superbly renovated to the original glory days.
I stayed here in the eighties and it was pretty much run down then so great to see it back where it belongs. One downside to this is that the hotel no longer has the open outlooks it once enjoyed and is now surrounded by modern buildings etc.
We had a complimentary free Singapore Sling and although very nice was bettered by the same in Sala Samui [see other review].
The food was excellent as was the breakfast.
We didn't do much sight seeing when here but we took a walk to the old Bugis Street and this is now a Mall but still brought all these great memories back.
If you like only contemporary, this may not be the place. If you like Classic Chic, this place hits the nail right on the head.
This Hotel stands out from all the others. If you have been to the Burge Al Arab in Dubai - This is better.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on Raffles Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the restored colonial charm of your suite and the hotel and that it brought back fond memories for you.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Raffles was the final night ending to our honeymoon in Singapore/Thailand and whilst expensive, very memorable and worthwhile, if only once. The quality of the service you experience here is just amazing, they certainly do 5 star very well!

Being on our honeymoon we were upgraded to the 'Kipling Suite', and were given a complimentary bottle of Champagne in our room, a box of Raffles Cookies along with 2 free Singapore Slings delivered straight to our room. Presentation of everything in the hotel was amazing, room turned down before bed, WOW is all you can say.

Our final day they stored our bags, and we were able to sit around the pool area and have a shower in the pool change rooms before heading out to the airport, bags loaded straight into our Limo and a hand shake and a thanks from the doorman.

If you have yourself a special occasion, bugger the expense and treat yourself, you won't forget it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple