“Worthy of Michelin 2 stars”
Review of Restaurant Andre

Restaurant Andre
Ranked #8 of 10,930 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant ANDRE is an eponymous 30 seats restaurant in Singapore recently ranked #38 World’s Best Restaurant by Restaurant Magazine as well as Best Restaurant in Singapore. Taiwanese - born Chef Andre Chiang developed a culinary principle based on how our capacity to taste food is influenced by our memory banks, including the personal experiences we acquire over time. Octaphilosophy – Unique, Texture, Memory, Pure, Terroir, Salt, South and Artisan represent the eight elements reflecting his roots in south of France. Chef Andre believes only on the freshest of seasonal produce and collaborates with the best artisans in the world. Crafting celebrated creations combining Mediterranean accents and French techniques, Chef André draw inspiration from the myriad selection of products he uses to design his menu every day.
singapore
“Worthy of Michelin 2 stars”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Chef Andre has helmed this eponymous restaurant for 1.5yrs serving Southern French nouvelle cuisine since leaving Jaan par Andre. He has definitely took it up a notch in artistic expression to be worthy of 2 Michelin Stars according to my palate. From the 4 course lunch my companion and I had, this is unsurpassed culinary expressions in Singapore. He takes his ingredients from fresh produce every day and fashion an experience that is elegant but not stuffy, visually appealing but not contrived and tasty but not overly abstract. No question he puts a lot of heart into his cooking. Forgotten Vegetable was a plate of exquisitely fresh veggies, finished off with grilled calamari in a shellfish stock. The contrast between the baby calamari and the baby veggies made it sailed above the mundane 'gourmet' food. The reconstructed snickers bar which we had for dessert was most interesting in texture and purity - chilled to a temperature to have chocolate and caramel tastes come through and yet maintained the crunchiness of the peanuts and biscuits. What a delicate balance! I understand that he even designed his own crockery which supports his whole personality. The interior has muted tones and understated elegance that allows a calm sense of well being to pervade the diners. Whether it is catching up between good friends or important business guests or lovers, Andre certainly delivered an experience that is memorable, relaxed, elegant and refined. Bravo!

• Visited March 2012
7 Thank sunnyboy9

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Simply Perfection”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We spent an amazing evening at André's.

Right from the very first moment of stepping into the restaurant (and being greeted by name even though it was our first visit there), everything was simply perfect.

The food - as many have written already, it's not à la carte, but a degustation menu - came in 12 carefully selected courses, all arranged to fit into different food philosophies. The tastes were wonderfully assembled and the presentation was the best I've ever seen. André is truly an artist.

For the wines, we chose the sommelier's suggestion of accompanying wines, which have been perfectly matched to the courses.

The service is the best I've had in Singapore so far.

All in all, a great evening indeed.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank DanielB72
Canberra, Australia
“Pretentious and incredibly expensive”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We ate at Restaurant Andre in February 2012. The restaurant's website is not very informative so we were somewhat surprised to find that Andre offers only a degustation menu- there is no a la carte which means you eat what you are given. In a first, in my experience, there is also no choice of wine- all of it comes from a French vineyard, proudly described by the staff as small and not well known. The waiter was eager to encourage us to have wines paired withthe food, which I declined as I did not wish to drink a great deal. I asked for a glass of chardonnay which turned out to be thin and tart. When I mentioned this to the sommelier he assured me that I must be wrong and that the wine was actually very subtle with flavours of peach, apricot etc etc. I still thought it tasted thin and tart.

Each of the dishes was preceded by a lengthy commentary from the waiter, describing how complex tit was and what a genius chef was in producing it. In the case of one dish we were told that the chef had not only produced the food but, in an overflow of creative genius, had also made the plates. I found the food too tizzed up and few of the dishes were inviting as food to eat. The dessert was a particular disappointment: chocolate ice cream plus a few chocolately bits and pieces.

I would have dismissed all of this as pretentious and undistinguished dining were it not for the bill- a staggering $ Sing 900 for two of us.

Citizens of Singapore, Restaurant Andre is having a lend of you

• Visited February 2012
14 Thank Paul H
“Really fancy food!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Been to Andre twice so here are my thoughts:

I tend to be wary of establishment providing haute cuisine. I am not a fan of foam and molecular gastronomy. I definitely prefer simple traditional taste.

Nevertheless, there is something about Andre that made me go back a second time and quite likely in future as well.

First, there is no compromise to the taste of the dishes despite their artisanal presentation. How did he infuse such intense flavors in the fanciful looking morsels?

Second, Andre himself seems like a really nice and friendly chap.

Third, this is a wheel-chair friendly place. There is a nice lift to go up to the upper floor if the reserved table is not on the ground floor. Only issue is the short flight of stairs at the front of the restaurant but the staff are always keen to help.

There is no particular dish to recommend here as the menu is largely decided by Andre, unless there is a particular dietary restriction - for which the chef will prepare an alternative.

Dress-code: Business casual.

This is a nice place to bring your date for a special evening. If you are the introverted type, it may be a good idea to let the food do most of the talking.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Isua
Blue Mountains Australia
“A very pleasant evening without the WOW factor”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We dined here the other night with great expectations and whilst we had a very pleasant evening there was certainly no wow factor with the food.
The menu is determined by Andre and yes there are several courses all beautifully presented and executed. However where the restaurant falls down is that there are too many flavours on the plate all competing for attention with the palate. Sometimes the addage "less is more" is very true.
The service is impeccable though I have to say the waiter seems to rush through the ingredients.
Would we go there again at $S700.00... probably not though I am glad we had the experience.

• Visited February 2012