I'll start of with the pros:
1. We booked a Deluxe Room (with a free upgrade to Family Room through a promotion on Traveloka). The room was spacious enough, and the beds were comfortable enough, but there's really not much else I can say about the place.
2. Location is great - Novena is 5 minutes away by foot, Newton MRT 9 minutes away. The bus station is right across (or right at the hotel).
3. The doorman was very nice. I'm quite sad we weren't able to get his name. He was the only warm personnel we encountered during our stay (5 nights, 6 days)
Cons - and if you're used to traveling often and are used to several amenities usually provided by a hotel - there are plenty:
1. NO FREE WATER. They don't offer complementary water, and on top of that, if you make yourself a cup of coffee, you can only make 1 cup per day. Otherwise you get charged an addition 5 SGD. It's a little absurd, because I can go to a coffee shop nearby and get charged for the same price for a bigger cup of coffee.
2. NO LAUNDRY BAGS. Instead, they provide a laundry basket, which works if you're looking to actually do your laundry at their self-service laundromat. But if you're like me, who likes to collect their laundry in a separate bag and have it washed as soon as you get back home, then that definitely sucks.
3. The bathroom was dirty - with some stains on the toilet bowl. An indicator that the entire bathroom needs upgrading. Shower was leaking - to the point that every single time someone had to shower, we had to add another towel on the floor to soak up the water. Otherwise the entire bathroom would flood.
4. I don't know if it's a lack of coordination with Traveloka, or a lack of coordination on the hotel management's side, but the next morning when we went to get our free breakfast, we almost weren't able to because we weren't issued the "meal vouchers" upon check-in. We had to show paperwork, etc. just to show proof that we actually paid for the room with free breakfast.
5. WiFi signal was poor
6. Breakfast was okay, at best
I just keep repeating to myself that we're paying for the size of the room, and not much else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the upscale neighborhood, Hotel Royal is centrally located with only 5 minutes drive away from the shopping and entertainment haven of Orchard Road. A short walk will bring you to 3 major shopping centres and Novena MRT Station. Newton Food Centre is about 800m away from Hotel Royal where one can enjoy Singapore fabulous local food. With the prime location, the refurbished rooms and our continued emphasis on service excellence, Hotel Royal strives to provide you “Every Room A Home” feeling. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Royal Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Royal Singapore