Hotel Re!
US$330
US$229
Panpacific.com
  • Pool
Swissotel The Stamford Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$198
  • Restaurant
US$336
US$293
  • Pool
Carlton Hotel Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$749
US$509
MarinaBaySands
  • Pool
One Farrer Hotel & Spa(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$249
US$187
Agoda.com
Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$161
US$271
US$213
  • Restaurant
US$445
US$430
  • Pool
All reviewsoutram mrtshuttle serviceboutique hotelminute walkpark viewlaksarooms are smallhotel roomclarke quayorchard roadlittle indiachinatowntaxitilesshampoochannels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I thought the hotel was pretty fun and interesting. My son loved it! It is pretty close to subway and is not that expensive considering it is Singapore, hotels are generally a lot more expensive than they would be anywhere else in SE Asia.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2011

In a city of phenomenally expensive hotels, this was the best value I could find that had consistently good reviews and availability for my dates. However, there were drawbacks: for $150 I expected more than a shoebox, a shoebox that felt like sleeping on the set of Austin Powers and with a motorway right outside my window. Surprise costs at the end: tax and ‘service’: should have been clearer when signing up. Water heating that takes 15 minutes to warm before taking a shower. ‘Fitness room’ that consists of a single running machine and one other machine which I forget. I would have been happy if the room had cost half as much. There must be better places in Singapore.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. We chose it because we had three people in our party and it was one of the few places that had triple rooms. I was pleasantly surprised by the beds/bedding and overall layout of the room. We used this as a hub for traveling. It's located about a 10 min walk from Outram MRT but, a word of caution: If you have someone elderly in your party, you may want to rethink this hotel. The walk is entirely uphill and can be quite tiring. Not a fault of the hotel, though. The only thing I was let down about was the unexpected rudeness we received. A female friend of mind had made all the reservations and plans but when she approached the male concierge to ask questions, he promptly IGNORED her and addressed questions and answers to the only male in our party. The check-in staff even asked our male counterpart for his credit card even though the reservation was made with one of our female friend's credit card. We were really surprised to encounter such blatant sexism in Singapore.

Price is a little high for what this hotel offers but once we got around the sexism issue by letting the male do all the talking, the hotel was happy to hire cabs for us and tell us where we needed to go. However, I pity the all-female party who comes to this hotel. I wonder how they would treat them?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lana190
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The hotel is central in an odd sort of a way, in an off-broadway corner of Chinatown, not far from the business district and entertainment areas. It's set back from the road, behind a little-used park, and cab drivers might not find it so easily. It's a 7-10 minute stroll (you don't fast-walk in Singapore's humid climate!) to the nearest MRT, and the hotel offers a shuttle to Orchard Road. It used to be a primary school, and it definitely feels like a changed-use building; the renovation is ok, good in parts (the bathroom was quite well done) and moderate in others (the wall finishes and furniture show signs of very careful budgetting). The colour scheme is funky, and there are wannabe '70's decals everwhere (not authentic '70's - I was there!), so it feels quite fun and different.

Check in was ok, ditto check out, although after I left I noticed the hotel had added a $16 "guest" fee on top of my room rate, which given that I was on my own was odd. I called the hotel and they said they'd credit it back to my card... let's see.

The room, apart from looking a bit different (a life-sized John Travolta silhouette by the bed? sparkly tiles in the bathroom?) was fairly ordinary, not big, with a flatscreen TV, tea/coffee making facility, free wifi (throughout the hotel, and it worked quite well), and a comfortable but slightly soft bed which left me a bit stiff when I woke. There's a free minibar, consisting of two bottles of water, two cans of sports drink, two packets of snacks, and a small pack of biscuits... which given that it was included in the room rate, was fair enough. There was an empty fridge so you could stock up with our own goodies if you wanted. The bathroom was well done, with good lighting, a comfotable bath with a headrest (not all rooms have a bath, some just a shower - check when you book), bathsalts (hooray! my favourite luxury), and good quality toiletries. There's a room-specific water heater which you need to remember to turn on.

The room looked west over Singapore. There aren't any other large buildings within 100m or so, so I'd guess most of the rooms would have some view, whether of Singapore's urban landscape or the nearby park.

I didn't have breakfast, but I had a drink and a dessert in the evening. Both were good and reasonably priced. The service was friendly but not very efficient (your room card gives you a discount on F&B, but inputting the discount into the till took two staff more than ten minutes to work out). There's an al fresco wine bar which looked nice but was closed for renovation when I was there. I didn't have time for the spa but the prices look reasonable by Singapore standards.

I paid S$260 for the room, net, booked through the hotel's website. That was a bit too much for a modestly renovated 2-3 star hotel in a non-prime position, however funky the decor. But if you can find a sensible price, it's an interesting place, it's clean, the staff are friendly, and it's quite comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I booked this because it was well priced and based on the web information...but what I found but was free minibar means a can of Coke and a packet of prawn chips, free cable TV was about 8 channels with only 3 in English. Bizarrely decorated in Orange & Purple. Close to Chinatown but not much else.
On the plus side, Internet was good (and included) , Bed was comfortable and a shuttle to the closest staion (Outram Park)
Probably would not stay there again, the bright colours were a bit much for me!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business