“homely hearty Italian with excellent service”

Kucina Italian Restaurant
Get food delivered
Ranked #94 of 13,695 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Geylang
Neighbourhood: Geylang
Reviewed 21 May 2021

The service stood out first at this casual-looking joint, then the playfully written menu. It was a joy to browse and be introduced to the various dishes, some of which we'd barely seen around locally. As a pasta lover but far from a connoisseur, I especially appreciated the wide range of pasta types available, complete with recommendations of what might go best with each dish.

We shared the Pescatora with Squid Ink Chitarra, La Barca Funghi e Tartufo, Arancini Siciliani (not pictured) and tiramisu (also not pictured). As a big fan of squid ink pasta, I thoroughly enjoyed the umami taste of the sea that many other local renditions lack. My boyfriend enjoyed the la barca (boat-shaped pizza) more with its creaminess that I found slightly heavy, but we agreed that the bread was a welcome fluffy and doughy accompaniment. The crispy arancini, a rare dish locally, was rich in tomato and herb flavour - I'm glad I was able to introduce this to my boyfriend. Finally, as a coffee lover, the tiramisu was a decadent, fluffy and aromatic end to my meal.

My only gripe: for the premium price, the seafood in the pasta and the tiramisu serving could be more generous. We'll both be back to try more on the menu though!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (190)

Reviewed 17 May 2021

Quite possibly the best Italian Food I’ve had in a while. It was my first time in KINEX and of all the nearby restaurants and foodstalls packed into the basement floor, nothing else smelled quite as good or delivered on its obligation to provide quality food as this shop.

My partner and I had the Pescatora with squid ink chitarra and La Barca Funghi E Tartufo for mains. And dayum, did it leave an impression. The pasta sauce was so smooth and well incorporated with the pasta. And the pizza, the sauce to bread ratio was perfect, it was crispy outside while soft and fluffy inside.

While the dessert and appetizer offerings did not leave as strong of an impression as the mains, they were definitely solid contenders. The Arancini Siciliani was certainly a unique dish rarely seen elsewhere in Singapore. And the Tiramisu was a textbook example of a well-made dessert. Defo a place to return to once things go back to normal.

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 16 May 2021

I had the La Barca Funghi E Tartufo as the main. For this dish, the bombardment of different flavours and textures creates a new taste and textural experience upon every bite. From the strong nutty taste of the truffle, followed by the creamy and earthy taste of the creamy mushroom sauce to the crunchy then chewy texture of the bread, it felt exotic and ideal for a novel food treat. I really loved the effort taken to make the bread as a fish pond shape. I recommend this for avid truffle LOVERS!!

As for the dessert, I had the Pannacotta.
This dish is a refreshing rich creamy pudding dessert well topped with raspberry sauce. I recommend it as a simple creamy and sweet dessert. A must try for milk cream lovers!!

Reviewed 15 May 2021

Dish Ordered: Arancini Siciliani(Appetizer)
Description from menu:
Breaded saffron rice balls stuffed with beef ragu, mozzarella & parmesan served with spicy sauce

The rice balls were really delicious and the different cheeses added were well combined to provide a slight spicy note at the end. I particularly loved how the crunchy textures from the crispy crust of the balls complemented the soft rice stuffings which allowed for an interesting intertwining of textures that melted in our mouths.
When I placed it in my mouth, there was an explosion of flavours from the cheese, salt and tangy and spicy sauce. In addition to that, the ASMR from the crispness of the crust was an added bonus in this dish. Would definitely recommend it.

Dish Ordered: Tartufo
Description from menu:
Mushroom cream sauce with black truffle pate & truffle oil
Chosen pasta: Tagliatelle

As someone personally not a big fan of creamy pasta, this pasta was just nice and scrumptious. The creaminess as the whole was light and complemented the mild truffle flavour. I personally liked the crumbs of cheese and crunchy mushroom which added more textual elements to the food. I chose the Tagliatelle pasta type and have no regrets as it was delicious and something new for me. Overall the ambience was chill and cosy, providing a great eating experience.

Reviewed 12 May 2021 via mobile

Visited Kucina on a Monday afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch. I had the La Barca Funghi E Tartufo - a pizza dish shaped like a Pide, topped with a cheesy, creamy, truffle mushroom filling. It was DELICIOUS. It is a very creamy dish so it would be great for sharing but honestly, I had most of it to myself and I didn’t find it too overwhelming. I would have loved a little more of the nicely charred mushrooms on top though! It lent the dish a nice earthiness to complement the richness of it all. We had the Pannacotta for dessert which was really good too. The raspberry and mango coulis was just tart enough to cut through the smooth creamy pudding. It was a really pleasant experience overall and I’ll definitely be back to try more dishes! The restaurant has a warm ambience and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a chill, fuss-free but delicious Italian meal.

Date of visit: April 2021