All reviews minute tricycle ride cool breeze muelle pier white beach malawi mosquitoes boat
Reviewed 22 November 2015

I just got back from Kalaw Place a couple of hours ago and miss it already. It may be true that it isn't for everyone, but I think everyone should give it a try.

First things first, let me get these out of the way:
If you're looking for a 5-star resort - this isn't it
If you're looking for night life (i.e. bars and restaurants or clubs nearby) - you won't see it here too.
If you're looking for sitting on the beach and doing some people watching and posing - this isn't the place.

What Kalaw Place has to offer is an experience, a chance to get away from it all and just rely on yourself or whomever you chose to come here with. Its a nice experience if you ask me, it removes the feeling of travelling with a checklist (have to do this, have to do that, have to eat here, have to go there.) which in some of my previous vacations made it feel more like work than time off.

They do not have a white sand beach (thats mentioned in their website) but there is a sitting area in front of the water and a long dock which you can use to take a swim or sun bathe. Their beach is on a cove, the water is very calm, clean and quiet.

The walk from our room to the beach was pretty lengthy, so remember to bring everything you need when you go down there to save you the exercise but the scenic route from the room to the cove is always an awe inspiring journey, its so nice that they kept the greenery pretty much untouched and just allowed to grow the way mother nature landscaped it, although I think 1 or 2 seating areas in the walkway would be a good idea for a quick stop or just suck in the beautiful greenery.

I was recommended room #4, this is on the second storey of a 3 room structure separate from the main house. It has a corner balcony where you can sit al fresco and enjoy the view. It also has a sitting area facing the windows, a kitchenette, a queen sized bed and a very very charming bathroom.

I knew there was no TV and air conditioning in the rooms (also mentioned in the site) but it was never hot and even though I expected a lot of mosquitoes since there were so many windows (the only wall without a window was the wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom) mosquitoes were never an issue and there is a mosquito net tied over the bed in case you need to use it, we never did.

The view from these rooms are beautiful, the windows behind the bed face the forest, the view from the kitchen combines scenes from the forest and a portion of the cove, from the balcony, the sitting area and the bed you will see the ocean and the other islands, which is such a nice view to end the night and start the day.

The staff, (I think I only saw 4 including the owner - Rosemarie) are very friendly and do their best to make your stay comfortable, there was a time that the internet router in my room did not work and took awhile for it to get fixed, the owner was very hands on in dealing with this and even came to me personally a couple of times to check on it herself and to let me know when it was working as for the other things they did for our stay, we were helped with right away and you can feel that they help you genuinely.

One of the biggest charms of the Kalaw Place experience is your ability to cook your own food, it may be a hassle for some to do this since their on vacation, but a 10-15 minute tricycle ride to the market leaves the creativity and bond to you and the people you came there with.

They let you borrow their kayak for free, we we're able to visit the neighbouring beaches with it, stopping in some for a couple of beers, it took us only 4 hours and tired arms.

Yes, maybe not for everyone but everyone should give it a try. Aside from the internet, you're left with the basic necessities and the people whom you chose to travel with or even just yourself. You never know, maybe something like this is what you've been needing all this time.

thank you to the people of Kalaw Place,

final thought on some travel tips:
- make sure you pack food, there is nowhere you can walk to late at night should you get hungry.
- standard tricycle rates are only Php. 10 per person, you can double that and consider it as a tip but Php. 10 per head is fine.
- San Miguel is available in Kalaw Place for Php. 50/ bottle! (I find this a good price so I asked if they can put 24 bottles in our ref)

Room tip: Book room #4 or #3 or the room under room #4 for the best views.
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 380miguelp
Reviewed 3 September 2015

We shared a wood little house with kitchen, 3 couples
Pros:
- views from the common areas, nice private terraces
- very quiet little house or bigger building, well build, with authentic charm
- good sleep quality
- far from everything and people
- nice pontoon and canoe available with no charge
Cons:
- basic comfort
- service is not very good, not available all the time
- no restaurant, so you have to bring your own food and cook. They can cook for you but you need to tell them in advance.
- far from everything, so don't forget the salt

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2015

You don't have to go far to bask in nature's glory and to experience the lush green surroundings of Puerto Galera. Kalaw Place is a haven for reflection and inspiration. The hilltop view of this place is a nature lover's delight.

One of the highlights of this Inn is a private lagoon with own pier and bar where you could opt for paddle boat ride. The best way to reach it is a short journey via pump boats.

If you are looking for relaxation and tranquility. Kalaw Place is the ideal place to be in.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Che-Che C
Reviewed 27 December 2014

I was thinking of a good title for this review so I brainstormed myself..."What does the place remind you?". Good old days it is!

We came to the place by boat and went uphill from the cute pier that Kalaw has. The place is quiet and peaceful. A friendly staff guided us to our room and explained some rules. We received a call from the owner/manager Ms. Rosemarie telling us that she will drop by to give us a map of the town and explain it as well. She was a bit apologetic for not having anything for dinner. She said she thought that we are no longer interested at staying in Kalaw. To make it up, she recommended a restaurant in Muelle called Robby's Cafe. She was right, the food there was delish! :)
At night time, all you can hear is nature at it's...well, natural state :) Wind is cool, leaves, insects and animals making sounds. Really reminds me of my vacation days at my grandfather's farm.

Things to remember/do:
No TV or internet there - makes you more creative on how to kill the boredom (especially if you're the only Filipino in the pack)
Bring cards or board games or play charades to bust boredom
Bring you're own food if you gonna stay longer (it's cheaper) - I think all rooms have kitchenette
Don't forget to grill something - make use of the grill, it's fun :)
Get the room with the sleeping loft - it's cool to sleep in the loft...chill!
At night, go down at the pier and stargaze :)
Trike fare costs 10 pesos per person - for a group of four, we paid 60... a little extra is optional
On the landline phone that each room has, dial 1+'call' to reach the main house and talk to Rosemarie
You can ask for the mosquito electric killer - she lent us one. it's cool. turn off all the lights and watch all white things glow brighter (you know...UV light :D)
Quite far from town but there are places where you can eat nearby (e.g. Kurba Cafe)
Oh! The shower! Remember to turn both knobs, wait a little bit...water will become warm :) Don't panic!

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

if you are looking are solitude..this is the place to be. the place is so massive that inspite of other guests being around, I thought I had the place to myself which was an added bonus. If you are looking for luxury and a/c rooms with TV's, this is not the place for you. The wonderful owners have tried to keep this place as close to nature as possible. so be prepared for frogs, insects and geekos. they are harmless :) Rosemarie prepares food with so much care and love. Please let them know in advance if you would be having B/F or dinner with them. Thank god this place isn't commercialized.
The views are stunning, the water is safe for swimming. Exactly what I needed from the pressures of work and the craziness of manila. So thank you Kalaw's Place :)

Room tip: all the rooms have good views and are very spacious.
Date of stay: May 2014