See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 November 2015

The shared bathrooms look like they haven't been cleaned in years and are infested with flies. My feet were black with dirt after walking on the bathroom tiles. There are plenty of staff; who are nice and friendly, but seem to be lounging around and sleeping most of the time. It wouldn't take them long to clean the bathrooms on a daily basis, but they weren't cleaned the whole 5 days I was there.

After a few nights staying here my ankles were covered in bed bug bites.

Although it's cheap, it's not worth it. I'm not fussy and have stayed in plenty of very cheap places. Here I felt grossed out most of the time.

On a positive note, the terrace at the front is well maintained and a nice place to sit. The WiFi works well there too.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Jacob M
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

Although it is mentioned in the lonely planet, don't go there even when you are tempted by cheapness! The beds were made out of plastic sofa cushions and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned in years. There was lots of dust, dirt and copious amount of flies! There are many places in the neighborhood where you can stay for the same price and much better quality.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank 697evelienw
Reviewed 25 March 2015 via mobile

Thought we found a nice cheap room but that was until we were woken at 2am from several bites from bedbugs. Horrible experience.
Don't stay here. We immediately moved to a place down the street that thankfully was open in the middle of the night.

Stayed: March 2015
Reviewed 23 September 2014

I have slept here two years ago and had my first bed bugs experienced ( I had to change rooms and told them). i did not give the place a bad review as the boys and owner are very friendly. And yes, decided to sleep there again as it was hard to find another place. And yes, I was bitten by the bed bugs again. Also there are more mosquitos than last time, basicly hundreds. The beds are worse and dirtyier than two years ago and they have NOT changed them. I changed in the middle of the night to an air con room which costs 150 000 and is by far tooooo expensive as it is dirty and simple with a shared shower. Bed sheets were not clean and broken. No air con remote control was avaiable. The single room was 70 000. Do not make the misstake and stay here, I am used to a lot but this place is just to dirty. Showers are ok so.

The sitting area is nice, you can access wifi

Room Tip: take a mosquito net with you and do not choose the room in the back on the right site. BED BUGS!
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I read on Tripadvisor that in Bloem Steen bedbugs were living…

Because of the cheap room rate (and some room prospection before I checked in) I decided to spend one night in this hostel.

I chose a room with a hard rubber mattress protector and a metal frame bed. When I removed the pillow covers I saw hundreds of bloodstains, so I dropped the 2 pillows on the ground in the farthest corner of the room. The freshly washed mattress cover was covered in bloodstains, BUT bedbug free. I folded the cover and used it as a pillow. I sprayed the entire room with insect killer (provided by the hostel) and sprayed the mattress cover. I slept in my sleeping bag and at first I tried to sleep with the light on, but it was too bright.

The next morning I woke up with ZERO bites!

During the day I killed 2 huge bedbugs that were climbing on the wall; they came from behind the wooden desk. The hostel should burn this old wooden desk if they ever want to get rid of bedbugs.

It could be a very good hostel: quite spacious rooms, WIFI, relaxed terrace and OK clean shared bathrooms, friendly staff, television in the hallway and a good location.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4, next to the television and the place were the staff members sleep on the floor. So I takes a long time before it becomes silent and around 6 o clock the party starts again!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo