“Tatty, overpriced, poor location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Park Lane Jakarta

The Park Lane Jakarta
Ranked #27 of 453 Hotels in Jakarta
London, United Kingdom
“Tatty, overpriced, poor location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

The main problem with Park Lane is the location. It is relatively central enabling reasonable access by taxi to the CBD, but in its immediate setting it is very isolated, surrounded by roads and residential units. There are no shops/ restaurants in the immediate vicinity meaning access to basic needs has to be done via taxi, or in the exorbitant hotel restaurants.

The hotel is also very tatty around the edges. Probably once grand, it has not been well maintained, although there were some renovations occuring on one floor when I visited. The quality is not what one would expect from a hotel of this rating and price. The windows are also not soundproofed and the sound of traffic, taxi calls from the megaphone outside the lobby, etc, is constantly audible, even on a high floor.

For business travellers the services offered are pricy and inconvenient. E.g. internet access is an obscene Rp85,000 a day, and having purchased the access you can only use it (a) wired in your room or (b) wireless in the lobby (wireless access in the pool area was broken when I was there), and even then, only on the laptop you registered with. Using wifi on your smart phone will set you back an additional Rp100,000.

There are far better located, maintained and serviced hotels in Jakarta. I had planned to stay here three times over three weeks but cancelled my second two visits.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a pool view on a high floor to escape the traffic/ taxi call noises f...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank leejones_san

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and felt very comfortable. The rooms are comfortable if a gettiing a bit tired however, the service was welcoming and very friendly. Having never been to Jakarta before the staff were always ready to help with advice and directions. The pool was really lovely. The down side is that unless you are there for business it is a bit out of the way. Otherwise a very successful stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Just been there for a week with work. Service was excellent and made to feel very welcome by all staff of which there are many.

Lighting in the rooms a little too subtle though and the rooms are a little worn, but the functionality and service makes up for it for me.

Thank you Park Lane staff.

• Stayed November 2011
Sentosa Island, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I never expected ever giving any property a one-circle rating. Because I tend to be able to live with tiny flaws here and there. But here it is. (And I haven't even checked out yet.)

But let me mention the plusses to be fair to this 'establishment'.

Plusses
- Big room. Scratched up furniture and funny-smelling toilet, but the room is big.
- A few pleasant smiley staff. Who are genuinely warm.
- Huge buffet although it MAY have caused my food poisoning.
- Big gym, but food poisoning rendered me unable to exercise anyway.
- Nice art pieces in hotel.
- nothing has been stolen from me so far.
- it offers a bath robe.

That's about it.

My grouses - literally GUT WRENCHING issues
You won't believe this place is 5star.
1) My 2 companions and I got bad food poisoning, and we strongly suspect the steak at STIX (in-hotel restaurant & bar) OR the breakfast - caused it, we ate together at every meal. Both of them were vomiting and I had a very upset stomach and diarrhea. We also had body aches and were feverish for a while! As we were here for WORK, you can imagine how disruptive this was. Absolutely horrifying. The front staff did not seem very apologetic (being apologetic does not happen much here) but sent us some fruit (although they later dusted off our claims by saying, MANY other guests have had steak before but NONE got food poisoning). Strange, because I met another guy here who told me he had been having food poisoning too...
2) My magnetic card did not work not one time, but FIVE TIMES within 2 days. I called, I complained in a raised voice, I badgered the front desk staff, but each time I begged for help, all they did was to give me a new card without fixing the REAL PROBLEM – which was that the lock was out of battery......... on the FIFTH TIME they FINALLY SENT 3 engineers to my room to fix it, and it was done in a jiff...... Could they not have fixed the problem earlier instead of assuming "I inserted the card wrongly" even though I had no problems with the card for the last 3 days? You can imagine how infuriating this was.
3) We all received anonymous phone calls that hung up upon hearing my (female) voice. I bet it was a prossie call - but shouldn't the hotel take steps to prevent such vices?
4) Rooms are terribly noisy ... nothing protects you from the rowdy people that seem to inhabit this place. In the morning, at 8 or 9, a laundry boy will come round shouting "LAUNDRY!" and soon after that, the MINI BAR Guy will knock on your door to check on your mini bar. I mean.... even if you leave a 'do not disturb' sign outside your door, you can still hear them shouting at every other door. Now, does that sound like it promotes restfulness in any way?
5) Spa service staff standards are inconsistent. My colleague and I did a body scrub in separate rooms. My masseuse was fine - she did pretty well, except for the fact that even after my bath, i had to lie on a stained, sand-soaked towel. My colleague however, had to lie naked in a cold room without any towel, and she caught a cold because of it. The masseuse also did a half hearted job at massaging, then finished wayy earlier than she should have...
6) There are no convenience stores nor ANYTHING remotely interesting near this hotel. You need to cab it or have your own driver. Room service food is exhorbitant and of course ever since we got poisoned, we refused to eat anything at all made in this hotel.
7) There's a severe lack of attention to detail. Imagine ordering a pot of coffee up to your room and having NO milk whatsoever (no creamer either). Or imagine ordering TOAST and the bread is cold, like it's just out of the fridge..... would you have a pleasant stay?
8) This place is really near the cemetery. My colleague had a room with a full view of the cemetry - and he had problems getting it changed till we called a contact who spoke to the hotel again.
9) No full amenities for lower tier rooms - no toothpaste which i find strange, since any 2 star hotel in Japan would give you toothpaste.
10) We requested for an adaptor on the first day, only to hear "try again tomorrow, we've run out of adaptors".
11) Room service trays you ordered in the morning, are still outside your door at 4pm in the afternoon.
12) When I checked in, my desk light wasn't working. Then the next day, the toilet light was flickering.

Can you believe my ordeal here?!?!?!? seriously, i Swear these things all happened. Having a beer now trying to relax. Could not find another hotel as the SEA games were in full swing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank workawhorlic
Parklane_jkt, General Manager at The Park Lane Jakarta, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
November 24, 2011

Dear Mr. Tay, Ms. Leow and Ms. Chen,

I realize from the comments posted on Trip Advisor that this has not been an ideal stay for you.

Let me first of all apologize for the problems you have experienced, especially the possibility of food poisoning from eating at Stix.

We certainly take issues such as this seriously and did check not only the meat stock on hand, but also the sauces. I understand you had a pepper based sauce. You mentioned in your comments that it may also have been something you ate from the breakfast buffet. If you have a moment our Chef would like to know what exactly you ate that morning.

We keep minimum stocks of perishable items in order to ensure high turnover and are conscious of the need for strict hygiene practices as we are in the process of gaining HCAAP certification for our various kitchens.

From the report that David, the Stix Supervisor made, he did offer to provide medical attention but this was declined. However, we certainly could have shown more care by following up each day to check on your condition.

We can certainly learn from some of the other comments outlined, especially early morning laundry and minibar staff loudness and how to handle key card issues. We have started a complete room renovation that includes new furniture, new décor, carpet, King Koil bed and flat screen TV but in the mean time will check the furniture in your rooms that require maintenance.

Amenities, such as toothpaste, shavers are on request through Housekeeping as noted in the room directory.

There are no excuses for lights to be missing or room service trays to be left in the corridor for extended periods. However, there has been pressure from a full hotel, due in part to the Sea Games, which made it difficult to change rooms when first requested.

Our Health Club is leased out to Life Spa and I will pass on the feedback regarding the massage experience to their Manager but apologize on their behalf.

Mr. Tay, Ms. Leow and Ms. Chen, we always welcome feedback whether it be positive or negative. I’m only sorry in your case, the negatives far outweighed the positives you mention but I appreciate you bringing them to our attention so we can take the necessary steps to improve our service.

Yours sincerely,
Jon Richards
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had a decent stay at this generic hotel ,nothing remarkable and slightly pricey for the standard, I found it inconveniently located - even though it advertises itself as close to the golden triangle . Better to get a hotel within walking distance of a mall- because there's little else to do if you don't feel like battling the traffic to get to the scant attractions....otherwise this is a good choice if your'e on business and want something corporate .Good rooms with large bathrooms, a pool and health club on site.

Room Tip: pool view rooms quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo