“One of the most awesome natural events I have seen”

Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)
Ranked #142 of 2,295 things to do in Java
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A catastrophic explosion in 1883 had global repercussions and left only remnants of Krakatau (Krakatoa), which has shown seismic activity as recently as 1994.
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

I was extremely lucky to see Krakatoa in full eruption. The view from the camping beach on Rakata was breathtaking. An all night long fire works display. Apud’s organisation of this trip was very professional. We had a little misunderstanding due to a mix up with the emails but this was resolved very quickly and professionally. The boat used was first class and fitted with life jackets. The crew were extremely competent, particularly on the return journey when the seas were a little tougher. The meal cooked for me on the beach over an open fire and camping stove was restaurant quality, and plenty to go around. The guide Sobari was informative and looked after all my needs admirably. The transfer to and from Jakarta was faultless, a very pleasant driver with a great selection of music. Thoroughly recommend this business.

Date of experience: July 2018
"life jackets"
"fantastic trip"
"once in a lifetime"

Reviewed 5 June 2018

I wanted to expose my pre-teenaged and teenaged-aged kids to nature and booked a trip with Apud. He was easy to communicate with and arranged for Ateng to be our personal guide throughout the trip, along with a speedboat captain and a cook. (Our private trip included two other nights at Ujung Kulon National Park.)

I can't compliment Ateng and the guys enough as they were attentive and helpful, even when a mouse entered our tent in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, I had kept the tent's net slightly open to let in a breeze.

With due respect to nature, it was pretty hot even at night (admittedly we were on an active volcano!) but it was comforting to have the guys set up camp for us and cook us our delicious meals. So the 4/5 rating was more because of the discomfort of being out in nature and the amount of trash on the beach rather than to Apud, Ateng and the guys who were amazing.

As a single parent traveling with two kids, I appreciated Ateng getting to know my kids and guiding my son in identifying trails on our 2-hr trek around Peucang Island. His thoughtfulness and kindness were truly appreciated. And I was grateful to have an extra pair of eyes on the kids when they were in the water snorkelling.

I reached Apud at +6281288463182 and info@krakatauujungkulontours.com.

2  Thank TravelingFamilyInTow
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Great experience seeing an active volcano. Lovely speed boat drive with clear water that enables you to see the various colorful fish .Sad to say that the island and surrounding beaches are covered with litter

1  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed 12 May 2018

I was travelling overland (and sea) from Padang to West Java and after climbing Mt. Kerinci I wanted to visit Krakatau. It was actually quite easy and one of the highlights of my trip; not only because of the site and it's history but mainly because of the friendly people and village life I got to experience on Sebesi Island. it seems that getting to Krakatau via Sumatra is cheaper than getting there from Java. This is how I did it: I stayed overnight in Kalianda and the early morning got an ojek to Candi port (about 40 min drive). This turned out to be unnecessary; the only 2 boats leaving from Candi to Sebesi depart at around 14:00 and you don't have to get to the port so early. If you do leave later to Candi, you probably can take a minibus which is cheaper. Anyhow, I spent a good few hours at the small port of Candi where you can mix with the friendly people in the warung, watch the port activities, eat and shop for basic supplies at the stands. There are 2 public toilets at the port. The trip to Sebesi is on a small motorboat and takes about 3 hours (Rp 15,000). When I did the trip the sea was like a mirror. Before leaving to Sebesi I contacted Pak Ujay (+6281369281861), a young man from Sebesi. His father, Pak Akhyar works for the Ministry of Forestry and he has been listed on a previous post as someone who can organize trips to Krakatau. I was extremely fortunate that Pak Ujay, completely by chance, got on the same boat that morning. In the port, you might be approached by other people claiming to be guides. Some of them will even show you photos with tourists. Just smile, remain polite and don't agree to any offers from people you do not trust. Preferably, arrive with the names and numbers of recommended contacts.
Pak Akhyar's family is amazing: very quite people, polite, knowledgeable and extremely friendly. They are not pushy in any way. When we got to Sebesi Pak Ujay explained that I could stay at the island's guest house, right near the port, or stay with his family. I opted for the latter and spent 2 nights with them. Pak Akhyar and Pak Ujay arranged that I could join a study tour of students from Jakarta to Krakatau that left from the island's guest house, just before sunrise the next morning. Joining such a group is fun because you can meet people and it is also much cheaper. The tour included the boat trip, climbing to the shoulder of Anak Krakatau (at the moment it is not allowed to climb to the peak) and snorkeling near one of the islands. I had to arrange for my own lunch. Again, I was very fortunate. If you cannot join a trip, hiring a boat and a guide will cost around Rp 1.2M or more. I only had to pay a couple 100K's for joining the group.
During my stay on Sebesi Pak Ujay took me around to see fishing, agriculture, palm sugar and copra production, and to meet up with family and friends. Unfortunately, I did not have time to climb Mt. Sebesi which I would have liked to do. When I asked to pay for my stay I was answered that I should pay as much as I wanted. If asked to do so, please be generous, taking into account accommodation, meals, other activities and your experience with local prices. Boats back to Candi leave in the early morning. If you are heading to Bakauheni to get the ferry to Merak (Java) you do not have to transit through Kalianda again. From my experience, knowledge of some basic Indonesian is a must; it will definitely get you a long way.

Date of experience: April 2018