All reviews walk in closet special thanks large bathroom wonderful hotel location is great walking distance swimming pool breakfast buffet housekeeping brand lounge facilities starwood china english furniture mandarin
Reviewed 14 May 2018

I have visited China for work five times, and this is simply the best hotel that I have stayed in. It is an amazing luxury hotel on any international standard. We stayed in an Executive Suite which was luxurious, large and comfortable. It was perhaps the nicest hotel room I have stayed in anywhere in the world, and my wife and I travel a good deal and generally stay in luxury hotels. And if you are looking for a beautiful lap pool, there is one at the Grand Mansion. One problem in China is English, but in this case Valerie, who is a manager, helped us throughout. She is fantastic-- Ask for her if you come to stay.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank David W
Reviewed 12 April 2018

I stayed here in late March for a conference. Overall, I'd recommend the property, with a few caveats.

First the good: check-in staff made an earnest attempt at English (seemed each shift had one staff member who spoke it very well, and other team members would call them to assist as needed...which I appreciate because I speak no Mandarin). They did so-so at recognizing my SPGP benefits; I received an upgrade to a larger, "premium" room with a balcony view at the end of the hall (both factors ended up being a curse).

The room was pretty clean, visually very appealing, very large, with a large bathroom and walk-in closet, and the bed was great. I disagree with other reviewers in that I found the furniture in my room to be in excellent condition. One odd item on the desk looked like an item from "I, Robot". I was told it was like a Chinese version of Alexa, which I found creepy.

Dining in the all-day restaurant was great. There so many choices, one could not cover them all in a single meal. Really top notch in this regard. Also, the hotel is very close to the 1912 area, with an array of restaurants and bars to choose from.

I did think playing music in the hallways on Bose speakers outside every door, 24 hours a day, was disruptive.

So why only 3 stars?

1. Cleanliness: bed and bathroom fixtures were clean, but something dropped on the floor on Day 1 of a 3-day stay remained on the floor for all 3 days, despite morning and evening housekeeping services. Generally, Luxury Collection housekeeping in China is excellent, but this was not the case here.

2. The temperature in the room was unbearable, due to the balcony (PM sun), and the end of the hall location (last to get the AC from the middle of the hotel). After check-in, when the room was 25 Celsius, I had engineering to the room and they assured me the room would cool "in 10 minutes" as they had "fixed it today". At check-out 3 days later, despite blasting the AC at 15 Celsius, the room only cooled one degree. Fortunately, housekeeping brought me a portable cooling unit that I placed directly by the bed, and I was eventually able to sleep. But I would NEVER want to stay here in the summer.

3. Most concerning of all was security: as mentioned, I attended a meeting at this hotel. During a coffee break, I returned to my room before housekeeping had been there (bed unmade, dirty towel still on the tub), but SOMEONE HAD BEEN IN MY ROOM. There was a used tissue on the bathroom counter that someone had used to blot bright pink lipstick. I do not wear pink lipstick. This was alarming.

So while the facilities are nice, and staff does their best, I would recommend staying here only if you are aware that Alexa may be listening, you may not be able to control the room temperature, and your room may not be 100% secure.

Room Tip: Stay towards the center of the hotel for best room comfort.
7  Thank amyp394
Reviewed 8 April 2018

I have stayed in several hotels in Nanjing, and this is by far the best. It's not a high-rise type of hotel so there is no view if that's what you are looking for. In fact, the view out of my balcony was quite dull facing some old residential apartments. However, the inside was impressive- from the lounge to the swimming pool to the room itself, and the location was great being in the middle of the city with lots of restaurants around. I think the service can be better, especially at the breakfast noodle/dumpling bar.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

This location and the overall hotel is nice. It is located nearby the center, it is impressive looking inside and outside. The facilities are nice and new, spacious rooms with all of the amenities you would want. Overall they did a good job thinking about what would make your stay comfortable and outfit the rooms accordingly. They have floor standing coat stands, large walk in closet, comfortable beds, large bathrooms, well appointed with iPad stands and trays in the tub, a TV in the bathroom, very nice shower with strong water pressure, double sinks, etc. They have a pool (which could stand to be warmer in the winter), and a nice library style lounge/reading room adjacent to the lobby.

With a nice place like this it seems inappropriate to complain, but to be thorough, I will let readers know what is wrong here.

The food taste is great, but in their 2 restaurants, I could only find 2 dishes that are not pre-made, with MSG laden chicken powders already marinated in the food. This is quite disappointing. I suggest walking 1-1/2 blocks away to a local restaurant which has outdoor balconies, great local food, and can make most of the menu without MSG.

The 2 facilities complaint are that the cleaning staff do not pay attention to the small nooks and crannies. Look at the areas where there are stands, or tables both in and out of the room. They are not cleaned. There is not only dust, but dirt, small pieces of trash or other things left there which have not been cleaned. This is consistent around the hotel. The hotel construction is obviously purely a careless contractor who does not care about good finishing. Also the hotel maintenance is not keeping up repairs on this very new hotel. The caulking around the sinks are already peeling off, the sliding doors to the bathroom do not close completely, and have huge scrape marks where they go into the wall. Also look where they go into the wall, it is filthy inside there.

Lastly, about service. Generally the service is ok. Not amazing. Much of the staff are doing their job robotically. They are not genuinely warm and friendly. Maybe it is asking too much to compare to the Four Seasons or similar, but employee selection and training should be able to overcome this. Specifically, when I was going out to eat, I was already at the door when I noticed it has started to rain. I asked if there are umbrellas to use. Instead of providing one, I was told they are in my room, so I needed to go back and get it while my party had to wait for me at the door.

For a hotel attempting to be "luxury" it needs work.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room instead of a view of the garbage dump which I had.
1  Thank eyecoin
KAJAIN, General Manager at The Grand Mansion A Luxury Collection Hotel Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Dear eyecoin,

Thank you for choosing The Grand Mansion, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Nanjing and spending your time sharing your recent stay experience with us.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in many aspects, and you are satisfied with our location, facilities, spacious rooms and so on. Also we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations and the inconveniences that you have experienced. I’ll share your feedback with our team and take action with the shortfalls.

Thank you again for your honest feedback. We look forward in being of service soon.

Warm regards,

Karan Jain

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Recently discovered this hotel and haven’t looked back.
The hotel staff are the friendliest I have encountered in China, extremely efficient and most helpful.
The location is great and just a few minute walk from bar street.
Rooms are very generous with all the amenities you would expect from a 5* property.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
KAJAIN, General Manager at The Grand Mansion A Luxury Collection Hotel Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Dear Avi K,
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you had a great stay here at The Grand Mansion, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Nanjing.
It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope you have more time to explore this beautiful city next time around.

Yours sincerely,