“No masterpiece hence no real bliss at Caprice”
Review of Caprice (Central)

Caprice (Central)
Ranked #20 of 9,415 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: French, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: Michelin starred French restaurant, Caprice is located on Level 6 of Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong. Enjoy contemporary French cuisine accompanied by an extensive selection of wines, one of the city's largest selection of French artisanal cheeses flown in weekly from France and panoramic Victoria Harbour Views.
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Elegant décor with superb view, and excellent service - both world-class. There is usually a big gap in terms of food quality between 2-or-3-Michelin-* restaurants on one hand, and 1-* ones on the other. Here, the food, whilst very good, lacks the wow of gastronomic institutions - it's more a 1.5-* than a full 2-*. At lunch, go à la carte for a better experience of what they can do; many dishes on the set menu are meh. The fact that the restaurant is next to the lift leading to the Hotel's spa and pools sometimes gives rise to the awkward sight of scantily-dressed or most-casually-dressed customers; you wonder if they're not going to some costumed dining events.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

I came here in August 2016. I came here late evening and staff were very accommodating. I was on my own so enjoyed a delicious artisan French cheese platter with a glass of wine at the bar.
I will return to have dinner next time I am in Hong Kong.

1  Thank sammy028
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Upon arriving at Caprice (2 Michelin stars), I was under the impression that my assistant had already confirmed my reservation for lunch for 1 person. Unfortunately she did not so when I arrived they could not find me in the computer. I was expecting to be turned down and told to find another place to have lunch but the opposite was the case. The maîtretold me not to worry they would prepare a table for me in a few moments. She lead me to the bar/waiting area which boasted some absolutely stunning views of the bay.
Less than 3 minutes had passed and I was escorted to a table in the main dining hall. Although not next to the window, I could still see the harbor and waterfront from my seat. I am pretty sure that every seat in Caprice has the ability to see the harbor due to the massive size of the windows.

Once I was seated I was greeted by name (a very nice touch) by one of the servers and they offered me a newspaper. As solo diner I was extremely grateful at this level of service. Having traveled extensively, this was one of the few places that have extended this level of service to their customers. It was so refreshing after a long flight to be greeted with this superior hospitality. After my newspaper came, I was served a glass of champagne. (Much appreciated!)

I was then given the menu and was told as it was a weekend they had a set lunch menu or al la carte. I decided on the 5 course menu, as the food on the plane was atrociously inedible. It was 895 HKD plus 10%.

I am just going to give a broad review of the food, because I forgot to take a picture of the menu and don’t want to bastardize the names of the dishes. All 5 dishes that I tried were unique and of extremely high quality. From the moment the waiter introduced the dish to the moment I finished it was truly sensational. Melt in your mouth and assault your tastebuds. It was so refreshing to see the attention to detail and the importance of fresh ingredients. I had the opportunity to talk to one of the sous chefs at the end of my meal and he explained to me that all ingredients came in fresh daily from the airport that morning. I mean to be gorging on scrumptious Alaskan crab, flown from Alaska the previous night is a true treat.

I have read a lot of Trip Advisor reviews that have been bashing the new chef, I think this is totally unjustified. The next day I ate at Amber for a set lunch, let me say this: Caprice was better on all accounts. Food, service, and ambiance. In Amber I felt rushed, the view was lackluster, and the food was comparable to Caprice, even thought Amber is number 24 on best restaurants in the world.

To conclude: from start to finish I had a very enjoyable meal here. As a solo diner, the staff made me feel welcomed, the view was impeccable, and the food of superior quality (a true workout of all my senses, especially my tastebuds). Give the new chef a shot, and don’t come in here expecting the same style and dishes as before. New chef = new dishes. Check your assumptions at the door and if you want the same dishes all the time, go eat at McDonald’s!

3  Thank PresPJ
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Very disappointed with our regular monthly brunch under the new chef, lack of creativity and depth: (1) menu selection was poor, (2) dishes were not intricate or complex, (3) lack of vipe and slow service, while prices were raised. The main course selection was among two fish, a duck and a chicken dishes (!) as opposed to a fish, a seafood, a pasta, a duck/chicken and a beef/pork dishes in the past. Also smaller portions and higher prices. Dishes were simple taste, lack of texture combination and had no creativity. We sure missed Sebastien and Tim, former manager and maître d, a lot; without them, there was no vipe or energy. They left 3-4 months ago and no new hire yet. Service a bit slow even the place was half empty on a Sunday, took more than 2 and half hours for a 3-course meal. It is a beautiful place, food execution is good, and very professional service. But no longer a special place for us to come every month!

4  Thank JPDallas
Reviewed 15 August 2017

The 2 michelin stars are deserved. The ambience and service is first rate. The wine list is as good as any I've seen outside France. The food is executed beautifully, with both precision and care. I cannot criticise.
However, the menu is less inspiring than it should be. The tasting menu left me cold and the a la carte selection, whilst good was limited in scope. I understand pleasing all of the people all of the time is difficult, and in an ultra-competitive market like Hong Kong that has to be one of the goals. However, just occasionally gastronomy at this level demands to be a little bit daring, or at least a little bit more daring than the menu at Caprice.
All of that said though, I can and do recommend it, just don't expect anything wildly out of the ordinary!

Been to Caprice (Central)? Share your experiences!