“Afternoon tea in lobby. Nice environment, food so so.”

The Lobby at the Peninsula Hong Kong
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lobby at the Peninsula Hong Kong is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 11,598 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Price range: US$38 - US$64
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Description: There is nothing more quintessentially iconic of Hong Kong than experiencing the acclaimed Peninsula Classic Afternoon Tea. Served daily in The Lobby, which has long been recognised as one of the most elegant meeting places in Hong Kong, this revered tradition is accompanied by The Lobby Strings, playing live daily. An a la carte menu showcasing authentic Continental and Southeast Asian delights is served throughout the day.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice colonial decor, high ornate ceilings and columns. Just missing the ceiling fans of colonial days. Orchestra on the balcony was pleasant but didn’t really need their rendition of the Star Wars theme whilst taking high tea. Also bass was a tad loud and booming in our section of the lobby. Toned down for one or two classical numbers. Always great to hear a bit of live music at any venue. We queued from 1.15pm so we could be near front of queue for 2pm seating. In fact they started seating at 1:50pm so not such a long wait. Service was swift. Waiters regularly came to top up the tea pots. Wish food was tastier. Could have done better with more savoury items. The finger sandwiches were so tiny, more like thumb nail size than finger size. The scones were just okay. A little dense to my taste, and not as nice as my own home made scones. Anyway, worth the experience and price was reasonable for an unhurried pot of tea in a nice cool setting out of the scorching tropical sun. Oh yes, the notice at front of queue does indicate a dress code of no sports or beach wear, but there were clients admitted with with casual wear such as shorts and trainers so not quite sure what they mean by sports or beach wear unless they mean literally no to arriving in bikini or speedos.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

afternoon tea is magic and a gold standard here every time perfect at the number one hotel in Hong Kong
nostalgic atmosphere of elegance

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

Tip. Arrive an hour earlier, order a drink, be seated and that will save u the long line up. The location was fantastic everything was below par. Service was good at times but lacking on occasions. Ie. asked 3 times for glass of water and when we got our tea it took ages for the food to arrive.
For the price paid I was expecting a lot more. All the food was average. No wow factor at all.

1  Thank Oz-Traveler78
Reviewed 5 September 2018

The Tea at The Lobby was very average. For our table of three, there was no privacy as we were seated very close to the next table. We were also placed on such a small table that the placemats overlapped. The scones were very large, and the finger sandwiches were very small. Both food items tasted bland. We went on a rainy day, so the Lobby was dreary. Perhaps it is nicer on a sunny day. I don't recommend Tea at the Lobby.

1  Thank HChung100
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

I have been for afternoon tea at the peninsula before and loved it, service is always amazing and they surpassed my expectations this time helping me to arrange a birthday afternoon for my friend and answering all questions before we came. On arrival the staff where very helpful. I has Broken my foot that afternoon and squeezed The afternoon tea in between x Ray and treatment . The staff found ice packs and cold cloths to help. I asked for salad instead of sandwiches due to allergies. This is normally a delicious salad however this time it was a small bowl of over dressed lettuce with one cherry tomatoe. Bit disappointing but still the scones and cakes made up for it. Thank you to Kayla for helping me arrange it