“ok but concern for fire risk”
Review of Ah Shan Hostel

Ah Shan Hostel
san francisco
“ok but concern for fire risk”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my 14 year old son. The room was perfectly clean, adequate, and felt safe (the entrance also, which has a security person...although sometimes asleep ;) ; the tiny size was not a surprise to me having checked out the TA reviews. It was interesting to see the courtyard/walkways, etc. from the inside, but I'm not sure I'd stay here again because the building felt just too unsafe. To the untrained eye, there looked like an awful lot of exposed and jerry-rigged wiring, and I can't imagine trying to exit the building if there were a fire. Reception and check-out were quick, and there was no problem storing our luggage (in a hallway behind the reception) since we had a late flight on our last day. The Ladies Market was 1/2 block away (great fun for my son!), and of course a ton of street food and little restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SanFranciscoRiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chennai
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed here with my husband and son. The hotel is extremely well located - in the heart of all the action. Being just a short walk from the Mong Kok MTR allowed us to reach all parts of Hong Kong with ease. The hotel reception desk is friendly and helpful. We stayed in a triple room which we found clean and hygienic, though a trifle small (which is okay considering the low room price). The attached toilet was clean too. Running hot water was available and also effective air conditioning. Duvets were provided for all the cots. The room has no shelves/wardrobes and towels were not provided. Despite our being new to Hong Kong we felt safe in the hostel. I would unreservedly recommend the hotel for budget travelers to Hong Kong. The hotel offers better deals for sightseeing than are available online - for example entry tickets to Ocean Park. For budget shopping, Ladies Market is just across - Langham Place is very close too. Since the hotel does not offer food, Cafe d'Coral nearby is a good bet for a range of well priced, wholesome food. Bread Talk is a good option if baked items are your choice.

Room Tip: Triple rooms on the 15th floor are very good - well ventilated and airy. The attached bathroom has a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TMenon
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Good Location. Walking distance from Mongkok MTR and Ladies Steet. Building is old and dirty. Lift is small, can only fit 6-7 people w/o baggage and 4-5 with big baggages. The lady (daughter) who served me on departure was friendly. Room is small too. Just enough for rest and bath if you are spending most of your time outside shopping and eating.

Room Tip: Heard that rooms on the high floor level 11 are new and better.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at a Quad room and a deluxe twin room during my trip. I'm not expecting much from the facilities for a budget accomodation, but I'd think it did not live up to the good review I've seen here so far. The Quad room on the 12th floor was too small for 4, with probably space for 1 luggage space, and everything was very old and dirty. The mattresses are hard, and getting up the upper deck is scary with a hobbling creaking bed. The furniture is dusty and the bathroom was algaey; the wifi connection was weak and unstable. I'm glad I only need to stay there one night.

Then part of our group left so we moved to a deluxe twin on the 14th floor which is still small, but no complains given the price. At least this room is cleaner (I guess not many stay in Quads so it's poorly maintained) and the stay was more pleasant. But the room is freezing cold at night, maybe I should have read earlier that it is better to book a room without windows in winter. Shower was dangerously leaking of hot water time to time... Wifi connection much better on this floor since it is just next to the reception. I did not expect housekeeping but they actually did provide.

I'm not sure why I did not enjoy the good service I read here. The staff were mostly nonchalant and slow. You are welcomed to leave your luggage at the reception before check-in and after check-out but I'd say at your own risk. We tested by going in and retrieve our stuff without saying and the guy did not turn his head up for a second.

Mongkok is an accessible place to stay. I may consider staying in the twin/double rooms again (off winter) again if I'm on a budget. But definitely no-no for the Quads.

Room Tip: The double/twin rooms should be fine but not the Quads. Get a room on the 14th floor for better wifi...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Booked this hostel through Hostelworld. Paid 10% deposit and balance was settled in HKD upon checked in. We actually emailed directly to Ah Shan Hostel to re-confirm our booking of 2 rooms for Deluxe Private Twin and they have also confirmed our booking via email.
However, upon checked in, we were disappointed that they only have 1 room for Deluxe Private Twin and 1 room for Deluxe Private Double available for us. Both rooms are located on 10th Floor but in different units. There are about 10 rooms in each unit and we were given a key to our own unit main door. So i could not access to my parent's room in another unit. A bit hassle.

Taxi to/fro from airport :
We arrived on Saturday evening and traffic to Ah Shan Hostel was smooth. Just 30 mins taxi ride.
Taxi & tol from airport cost HKD219.50 + HKD10 (2 pcs of luggage in the taxi boot)
Taxi & tol to airport cost HKD229.50 + HKD10 (2 pcs of luggage in the taxi boot)
You can show the taxi driver the name card of this hostel which i attached in this review.
It is more convenient to catch taxi outside Sincere House, Fa Yuen St entrance as there are many taxis waiting.

Location :
The entrance of Sincere House is small and it is written in Chinese. It is not difficult to find if you follow Ah Shan Hostel map location.
The hostel is located in an old flat. However, the location was great. Just 2 mins walk to Mongkok MTR entrance D2 (nearest). The area is very busy especially at night. You can do your shopping at night as most shops closed at 11.00pm. Food stall close later.
Ladies Market is just right across the street.

Food :
There are many eateries around this area so you don't have to worry about getting food. There is a 7-11 right opposite Sincere House.
Kam Wah Coffee Shop is just 5 mins walk away.
Sam Tseng Chan Kee Roasted Goose is 8 mins walk away.

Room :
All deluxe rooms come with window.
Deluxe Private Twin room is more spacious compare to Deluxe Private Double as you have more room to move around.
Room Cleanliness is acceptable.
Towel is provided during your stay.
Our room was cool and we did not turn on the air-cond during our 4 nights stay. Love it!

Shower :
The shower heater was a bit frustrating. You cannot let the water running in the shower as hot water will run out in less than 5 mins and you will have to wait before the water become hot again. So it may be a problem staying here during winter as you may be freezing in the shower.

Others :
Free flow of water at the corridor for guests.
Free refill of toilet paper placed near to the water dispenser.
Free WIFi available in all rooms.

Overall, Ah Shan Hostel is still an ideal place to stay considering the great location and reasonable price. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book for room with window. If possible, ask for rooms that are located in the same units for all the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family