“Don't be fooled by the street appeal - this is truly good Peking style food.”

American Peking Food Restaurant
Ranked #934 of 9,692 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed 3 July 2017

This is always a favourite in HK. You won't experience fine dining here but you will experience excellent Peking style. Make sure you head upstairs.

1  Thank Cagger444

Reviewed 29 June 2017

This restaurant is our favourite Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong, we have been coming here for many years since I was born. We always receive a warm welcome from the kind manager and colleagues and always visit with our parents, family and friends.
The food is delicious and such a fun atmosphere. We recommend it so much, especially the duck.

1  Thank Helena D
Reviewed 25 June 2017

My wife and I were the first to enter for lunch, and service was pretty good, even as some of the staff were taking their lunch at a nearby table.

We ordered their signature Beijing duck (no,half portions here) and while it was cooking, we had sweet and sour pork and the Beijing noodles with Minced meat in Szechuan sauce, which was like the Dan Dan mian.

The pork was crispy, though not as fresh as I liked, btu the sauce it came in was good and lived up to the name of the dish, being sweet, sour and a little vinegary. The slices of pineapple, chilli and green bell peppers enhanced the dish. The noodles were also good, and the meat sauce was delicious.

After about 40 minutes, the duck was brought and carved at tableside. It was a generous portion (too big for two and we had to pack half). The skin was crispy and the meat was not chewy or tough. Tastewise, it was not bad, though not as good as I expected. It was nice that each diner gets his or,her own hoisin sauce, and a small dish of cucumbers and leek stems. The pancakes were freshly made, though could have been thinner.

Overall, it was a good meal, mostly done old style, and we will be back as I would like to try their yang zhou fried rice and butterfly prawns.

They jave been in the current location for over 30 years, and were previously in another Wan Chai location for 20 plus years, so they are still going strong.

2  Thank Orator11
Reviewed 22 June 2017

The American Peking Restaurant in Wanchai is a long-term favourite which I have been frequenting since I was an expat in Hong Kong 30 years ago. I visit Hong Kong once a year and it is still popular with locals and expats alike. Don't be fooled by the name. It is an unpretentious Chinese restaurant serving pekinese food which is of consistently high quality. Bookings are recommended in the evenings, particularly at the weekend. The restaurant is deservedly well known for its Peking Duck but my favourite dishes include the Sizzling Chilli Prawns, the Chicken and Cashew Nuts (which seem to have more cashews than chicken)and the Dried Chilli Beef served with flattened bread pockets. I've never had a bad meal here although the service is efficient rather than friendly. I don't know how long the restaurant has been operating, but long may it continue.

1  Thank tessacate88
Reviewed 2 June 2017

The place has been around for a long time. It is now in a new location. I remember as a kid eating in the old location for their famous roast spring chicken. 5 bucks HK for a whole chicken and they ask you if you want it cut in half. Fast forward to 2017 and price is about 90 bucks and they chopped it up like any other restaurant. The meat was dry and not what it used to be. The Peking duck is cheaper than other place but you get what you pay for. Other dishes are uninspiring and price is medium high. As much as I like to feel like a kid again being there, nothing there reminded me of the food I had before.