“A de facto 4 star hotel at North Point”

The South China Hotel
Ranked #228 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 23 November 2017

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel on our holiday to Hong Kong this late October. We found this hotel to be worth of our commendations in terms of its value, location, staff, administration and amenities. Many things have changed since our last visit in November 2015. We were given a room with 3 single beds (marvelous) on the 17th floor. The room was still roomy though with 3 beds and many of the decor inside was new and modern, There was a safety deposit box inside now and the room had been renovated. It was clean, neat and tidy, cosy with an assurance to give travellers a sense of peace and comfort. The wifi was fast and reliable. Overall it was a quiet room. Unlike other hotels with thin walls in between rooms that give you 'uninvited noise' in small hours, we couldn't hear anything. Reception staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. One example we couldn't forget is at the time of our checking out, we found out that the wheels of our suitcase broken. We were very embarrassed and at a loss. As we were prepared to leave our luggage temporarily with the hotel when our flight was leaving in the evening. We didn't have much time. But the female reception staff was very helpful. She waited for us to go out and buy another new one and promised to take care of the old one for us. Much thankful to her (forgot to ask her name!) The other thing I want to say is about the administration. I completed the tenant survey when leaving and complained about the fridge which was not cold enough. The second week we were back to Australia we received a mail from the administration and said that follow-up action about this had been taken. Good on you! Very few hotel would response to feedback these days. Last but not least we would also give our commendation to those staff who served breakfast. They had done a good job in very good manner. Of course the location of the hotel in terms of the availability of restaurants (various types ranging from Cantonese, yum cha, noodle stores, vegetarian), supermarkets, market-style shopping venue at North Point is beyond criticism. The proximity of bus and tram stations, ferries and other public transport that give convenience to travellers are not to be forgotten. All in all, we would still like to suggest to the hotel management that their breakfast can be made better by adding more dishes and ringing the changes; also the provision of teabags inside the room will be far better.

Room Tip: Higher floor non-smoking ones would be quieter and nicer
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 October 2017

stayed 5Days & 4Nights

Staffs
- speak and understand a little english
when we check in, the front desk girl was asking for a security deposit and was asking for our credit card, we asked her if it be charged us right away for the security deposit of 500HKD or they will swipe the card and it will be void once we checked out. The girl said that we will be charged right away and that the card company will refund the 500 HKD security deposit after a month or so.. i told the girl how come we will be charged and wait for a month for a refund? blablablablaaaa... she didnt know how to explain and some of our questions to her she did not understand so the other person "a guy" with her stepped in and talk to us, he also cannot explain on why we will be charged right away (its our first time to encounter this cos on other hotels we stayed they voided the transaction once check out) and so this rude guy to end our conversation he just told us just give me 100USD. just give me 100USD for the security deposit. we gve him 100USD cos we are so tired.
- the front desk person on this hotel are rude

Rooms :
- stayed at 11th floor, 8th floor & 13th floor
- rooms are dirty
- they dont change their bedsheets & have bed bugs
- restrooms are dirty
- water pressure is low
- we request to change room cos of the strong smell of the cigarette smoke on our room.

Room Tip: dont book on this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gheinA
Reviewed 23 October 2017

A low-price range hotel in Hong Kong
Stayed in this hotel for more than a month during house renovation.
In terms of location, it's not bad, 5 minutes from subway station
However large number of intrinsic problems
1. Very uncomfortable beds - Hardest ever mattress which has a texture of a stone. You will get a back pain after having a night sleep on it.
2. Very poor wifi signal, on and off signal from time to time, so get prepared with your own wifi
3. Dirty hotel room and amenities - Hairs found on sink and towels nearly everytime the cleaner cleans up the room
4. Another problem which is not directly related to the hotel itself but mostly due to the fact that this hotel is very popular among the mainland chinese who are usually rude and noisy. They seem to be really excited every morning and they talked and screamed out loudly at the corridor. What makes the thing worse is that the poor soundproof of the room. Getting a good night sleep is major difficulty with the hotel

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 13 October 2017

the dirtiest hotel I 've ever stayed in. I developed a rash after sleeping there. My whole body was itchy.the beds are so hard.The staffs are unhelpful at the counter.None of the sockets is working in my room.USB point is not working. The phone is not working. The carpets are tatty. It was very noisy.

Noise from the pipes kept waking me up.

The counter couldn't care less when you complained.

I would not pay more than HK$ 200 per night for staying there

Room Tip: dont come here
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Hotel is an average 3 star hotel, in average location.
However, reason for my 'terrible' review is that customer service is appalling. On their hotel listing, they had advertised the room comes with complimentary international calls. And prior to making an international call, I even checked with their reception, and they confirmed this is correct.
After I had checked out, they billed me for the call and took the charge from my credit card WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. The charge accounted for almost an additional 30% of the hotel rate.
Staff did not respond when I contacted them, and had to get my travel agent to assist. They did not acknowledge that their ad was wrong, and claimed they never offered free international calls. I would have used Skype to make calls if I wasn't misled into thinking the calls were complimentary.

Atrocious staff - never again will I stay here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business