This is the second time I am staying at this place. The hotel has itself not done any major facelift form the last time. I stayed here 4 years back and it’s the same now too. It’s definitely a very nice hotel and the interiors are grand and on par with any 5 star property that you can compare it with if not for the swimming pool and the spa.
There are a few downs here though there are many plus points staying here. I think I will start with the best things of this place first.
(1) As an Indian who is very particular about my Indian meal at least once a day, I guess this is the best place any Indian can opt for. It’s in the heart of Kowloon and has a nice Indian restaurant (The woodlands) rite next to it. So after a full day or shopping or sightseeing I was still able to get back and have a nice Indian meal before I hit it off to my room.
(2) The next best thing about this place is, its bang opposite to the harbour so it has a really awesome view of the hongkong harbour if you choose a Harbour view room. Yes the higher floors are better and yes it’s a bit more expensive but its well worth the view ill say.
It’s very close to the avenue of stars but if you take a harbour view room, you don’t have to go down for a walk in the nights for the light show as you get everything from your room.
(3) The room that I took was on the 21st floor (that’s the highest floor that they had there) and I opted for a harbour view room. The executive floors that are the 19th to the 21st floors get free complimentary Wi Fi.
(4) The bed is super comfy and is really pleasing to sleep after a hard day’s work shopping out. The room cleanings were done spic and promptly. The water bottles were filled everyday and were enough for the day. (4 bottles of water for a solo traveller)
(5) The bath was also great with a nice bath tub and a flat screen in the bath room and also had a nice separate shower area. The toilet essentials were refilled everyday and my towels were changed everyday too.
(6) The breakfast at the executive lounge (on the 21st floor) was great, though I noticed that the spread was limited compared to that of the spread that was kept at the coffee lounge on the ground floor lobby level. But I guess both were great in its own way. The service of the staff was just perfect.
(7) The harbour city mall the largest in Honkkong is just 10 mins walk from the hotel and the night market is also like 10 mins by taxi. So there is lots of shopping to go about near the hotel.
(8) The metro train station is like bang opp to the hotel (just less than 20mts). So if you don’t feel like taking a cab, just hop in to the metro and you are really connected to the rest of the city. The weekends are crazy in Hongkong and you can hardly get cabs on the weekends. I guess that’s when the metro comes in very handy. I guess that’s when I realised the metro is much more connected and is very cheap compared to the cabs.
Ok now for the small negative points...
(1) For a hotel of this grand status, I guess you would expect a nice swimming pool. Well that’s where I was disappointed. They have an indoor pool in the basement. It’s really very small and is in the oddest of places. The gym is just next to this small swimming pool and its all like put together and not really a nice place to swim.
(2) The spa is also like makeshift camp inside the gym. I used the spa once and took a 90 min message. The treatment was nice but the location and the ambiance of the spa was definitely not 5 star. The change room and the shower were closer to the gym so I had to change and walk all the way through the gym to get in to the treatment room.
I have also stayed in the Intercontinental that’s just opp to this place and they really had a cool swimming pool on the roof overlooking the harbour view. I think this is one thing they need to facelift definitely if they want to have a spa and a health club/ swimming pool equalling to their competitors.
I guess if you are a traveller who doesn’t mind staying without a lavish swimming pool or a great grand spa then this is a lovely place. If the ones that I have mentioned are a MUST on your list then I guess you would be a bit disappointed here. Over all I think this a nice place to stay and the service of the staff is top-notch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located along the legendary Victoria Harbour, the award-winning Kowloon Shangri-La boasts 688 spacious and elegant guestrooms with modern conveniences and luxurious comfort. Five acclaimed food and beverage outlets, including a Michelin-starred Chinese restaurant, together with a sophisticated lounge and a chic bar, offer a range of exquisite cuisines. The Mass Transit Railway is just right next door, and the Airport Express stations and Star Ferry are only minutes away from the hotel, enhancing its already prime location as the hub of business, shopping and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hong Kong
- Shangri La Hotel Hong Kong