“The hotel oozes quality with impeccable service.”

Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
Ranked #13 of 724 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We arranged hotel transport from the airport and the service swung into action from the moment we left the customs area. We were escorted to our driver and car which was ready for us at the door just a three or four minute walk from the customs exit. There is even WiFi in the car on the 30 minute drive into town. The driver made a very discrete call to the hotel as we neared and on arrival at the hotel we were met at the curb side by staff that escorted us directly to our room and completed our check in there. We had a standard room on the first visit and had opted for a Peak View. There was dense fog so not much of any view and we were glad not to have chosen the harbour view rooms. However, when the fog cleared we had a very good harbour view through the wide-angle plate glass windows.
The rooms are of a good size and have ample storage. Every sort of International electrical plug fitting is recessed away on the desk and there is free WiFi with a good signal. Each room has a dedicated fax machine with its own number so that guests can receive and send messages directly. The hotel also uses it to distribute information, billing summaries and so on. There is no need to describe the bed, fixtures and fitting and bathroom. They were all up to the standard of a hotel of this quality. My only minor complaint with the bathroom was that the shower was over the bath. I prefer a walk in shower and dislike bath-shower combinations which for us older travellers are slippery and difficult to step into and out of. On our return visit two weeks later we opted for a club room and again found the bath-shower combination. I mentioned this in the survey we were asked to complete by email after getting home and had a very nice reply from the Manager noting my preference and saying they would try to accommodate me on this point on my next stay. I will be there again next month so let’s see.
The buffet breakfast is an enormous spread and when I commented that there was no bran in the selection of cereals I was promised that it would be there the next day. It was. On the second visit the same month in a Horizon Club room there is access to the Club Lounge with great harbour views. Breakfast here is almost as lavish as the main buffet breakfast in Café Too, and has the advantage of a full waiter service for the cooked part of the meal, prepared to order.
The hotel is connected to Pacific Plaza along with three other hotels. Admiralty Metro station is nearby and accessible by covered walkway and Admiralty is one stop from Central. Pacific Plaza has many high value shops but seems just a bit on the sterile side compared with the action and buzz of Central.
Three bookings in less than six weeks indicates that the hotel has my approval.

Room Tip: A Peak View room on the club floors is a bit cheaper and with access to the Club Lounge where the Ha...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank GBSLondon

Reviewed 27 March 2012

What an amazing place. Felt like I was in a palace. Beautiful bedroom, very comfortable beds, lovely showers and toiletries. Breakfast was a wonderful experience. Lovely calm dining room, nicely spaced out, plenty of choice for all tastes. Its based above a shopping centre which also has some nice restaurants. Great view from my room over the harbour. Hotel is approx 30 mins from airport. Very well located in the center of everything although be warned, rush hour is a nightmare so add additional time for travel. In fact, traffic in HK is heavy all the time. Bureau de change is a little bit pricier here than out on the streets so keep that in mind also.

1  Thank RuthieandSteo
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is what a five star hotel should be. The service levels are outstanding (If the manager happens to read this review, a young lady by the name of Peony is doing a great job). The rooms are very large and are very well appointed with just about everything you could want. The wireless internetbis the best I have ever found in a hotel. You could move seemlessly around the hotel with excellent continuous cover without having to change servers or anything. I ate in three of the hotels restaurants and the food was excellent in all of them.

Overall a hotel I would recommend with the only proviso that, like most good hotels in Homg kong, is is VERY expensive.

Room Tip: Harbour view the higher the better
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This is definitely the most spectacular hotel I have had the pleasure of staying in. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough for us. I had a room on the 49th floor over looking the Harbour and it was gorgeous! The View, the bed, the tv in the bath... The most AMAZING and powerful shower! If you are in the bar you must try a Razmapolatin to drink, very nice!

We went on a Sampan and to Dragon court which was an experience, Stanley Market to pick up some cheap but well made handbags. We also ventured out at night and did not expect it to be as good as it was! WOW! Such a pleasant surprise, everyone I met in Hong Kong was so friendly!

We also went into the Kowloon Shangri-la for a delicious lunch and the hotel is just as grand on the inside so do not let the outside put you off. This may be a better place if you are travelling for Leisure but after staying in the Island Shangri-la once I don't think I could stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: A high floor room for a better view.
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I spent only a night here in early March. Though this hotel meets 5-star standards, it does not seem to deliver value for money. For the room rate that I paid, I expected breakfast to be included but it was optional. Further, the airport transfer cost a bomb.

One other challenge that I faced was the fact that Hong Kong cabbies accept only cash. By itself, this is not the hotel's problem per se. However, as I usually only travel with a corporate card, I would have liked the concierge to be a tad more helpful in helping me get around (like getting a cab on a retainer for me). However, no help at all from them.

The gym was great with a good selection of exercise equipment.