“fine dining, excellent service - obviously at a price”
Review of Cafe Gray Deluxe

Cafe Gray Deluxe
Ranked #11 of 9,446 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Admiralty
Description: Cafe Gray Deluxe, A 21st Century Grand Cafe, Offers Stunning Views of Victoria Harbor. The Restaurant Marks the Return To Hong Kong of Celebrated Chef Gray Kunz, with His Unique Style of Modern European Classics, and Signature Dishes From a Lifetime of Leading the Finest Kitchens in Europe, Asia and America.
Reviewed 20 September 2017

I enjoyed a business lunch at Cafe Gray Delux - and it was just lovely. The restaurant is located on an upper floor at the Upper House located next to JW Marriott. We were fortunate enough to have a corner table with a nice view. Food was excellent in every way. Even better was the service. I've read some mixed reviews here on service but what i can say is the person who served us was incredibly friendly and helpful, and most of all, not pretentious for such a dashing place. We both enjoyed the standard lunch offering, salad and pasta. for dessert, i tried the cheese platter - delicious but certainly more than one person could handle. So, all this comes at a price, and if you can afford it, it is a lovely experience. Really - a class act.

Lois L, Restaurants & Bar Secretary at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear AsiaMorgan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Cafe Gray on tripadvisor.

I'm so happy to read that you and your guest had a lovely lunch with us and delighted that you thought the food was "excellent in every way" and our server was "incredibly friendly and helpful".

We look forward to welcoming you and your guest in the near future.

With warm regards,

Restaurants & Bar Secretary

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

We booked high tea as we only had 1 day free in Hong Kong and I requested table with view as it was our wedding anniversary. When we arrived we had a table next to window but saw a lovely private corner table with cushions but was told it was booked. After a little while our waiter came over and said they had not turned up would we like to move, what wonderful service and style. We did and it was stunning and on our tiered stand were the words "happy 1 st wedding anniversary" in chocolate! Food was fresh, tea delightful and my cappuccino was smooth. Well done Cafe Grey!

Lois L, Restaurants & Bar Secretary at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Dear Lynn D,

I'm so happy to know that you and your husband had a lovely afternoon tea with us and delighted that our team had made your wedding anniversary wonderful.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you again in other occasions.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 September 2017

This restaurant is located on the top floor of The Upper House, a hip luxury designer hotel in Admiralty. Arriving on the 49th floor, the first impression I got was that it was a real high-end restaurant, from the interior designs, the setup and more importantly, the amazing views looking out the window. One can see across the harbour, at ICC and the western Kowloon area, and in the evening that alone was probably worth coming over.

But of course we need to have good food in order to qualify for a good restaurant. And on the night we ordered the Market Menu, which has four courses. To begin the cold appetizer is Yellowtail Crudo, Chilled Tomato Consomme, with Lavender and Basil. The fish is nice and fresh, with the tomato having good acidity to pair well with the fish to highlight its freshness and supplement well on the delicate taste. The consomme added an extra dimension with the herbs enhancing the flavors but not overpowering. A good start for our dinner.

The second course is Poached Lobster Tail in XO Butter with Haricot Vert and Edamame. The hot appetizer has a rich texture, aromatic with a creamy sauce that matches perfectly with the green soybeans and green beans. The lobster tail is fleshy, cooked beautifully and having great flavors. My only comment for this dish was that it was quite salty, both in the seasoning of the edamame and the XO butter. Tuning down that a bit more would make the dish even better, but overall not a bad one.

There are two choices of the main course, one being Seared Skate Wing, Saffron Emulsion, Charred Eggplant, Olives and Bergamot, and the other being Roasted Rack of Lamb, Cauliflower and Water Chestnuts, with Dried Chilies and Cumin. My wife opted for the fish while I went for the lamb. I tried a bite of the fish, and that immediately reminded me of the same type of fish I had once in a high-end Korean restaurant in Seoul, albeit less exotic, but still quite difficult to be well-liked given the strong ammonia taste. I guess that is the intention all along? My wife frankly hate that and it was a miracle she finished it, probably doesn't want to embarrass anyone.

The lamb is much more 'normal' from that perspective, though I would not say it was in any way impressive. The lamb was roasted to medium level, with a bit of fat on the skin. The use of cumin in my opinion is a bit dangerous as it can easily hijack all the attention on the flavors, but I imagine the chef is trying to prepare the lamb in a fusion manner incorporating some Chinese elements, that you might find the skewers in the northern part of the country. My comments on the two main courses would be a bit disappointing however.

For dessert it is Ginger Flan, with Crystallized Ginger, Longan and Lemon Madeleines. The ginger flan is quite good, of the right sweetness level, with a delicate ginger note and a bit of 'kick' on the spice. Coupled with the longan, the fruit provided a light refreshing taste to the richness, and the ginger sorbet served well to balance the dessert and clean the palate. On the side there are two pieces of lemon madeleines which are also good, spongy in texture and again of right sweetness.

Service overall was quite good, though I would expect in this type of restaurant whenever the food is served the staff should explain what we are having and check in with us along the way to adjust coming dishes if necessary. With a bottle of water, a cup of double espresso, the bill on the night was $1,854 for two persons. Not exactly very good value dinner frankly.

My overall rating is 58/100.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Although we haven't stayed in the hotel, we went there on several occasions to dine and relax. Cafe Gray Deluxe was recommended by our friends due to its location and friendly staff(both were above the expectations). The design of the hotel and restaurant is well balanced and harmonious. We were very amazed how great it turned out in the evening - the panoramic view of Victoria harbor and Kowloon night scene. Special thanks to few people that made our experience even more memorable - managers Roman and Kevin who brought our dining experience to a next level, it was very pleasant to be asked and taken care of but not BOTHERED (there is a fine line and both managers didn't cross it). Special thanks to their Guest Experience team Michelle and Patrick, whom were very attentive and helpful with suggestions, despite we did not stay at the hotel this time( but next time sure ;)

Dear Mariia_Terekhina,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of Cafe Gray Deluxe! We appreciate your taking the time to let the Trip Advisor Community know your thoughts about dining with us.

We are indeed blessed to work with such amazing colleagues, rest assured I have shared your review with them.

Please do join us again when you are back in Hong Kong.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Beautiful restaurant, amazing view.

Food is epic - great service,
Steak is very good
Toilets are really interesting - with a view!

Lois L, Restaurants & Bar Secretary at Cafe Gray Deluxe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Cathie B,

We look forward to seeing you soon!

With warm regards,