Oi Suen Guesthouse
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
A-Inn(Hong Kong)
Good 3.5/5
City Plus Hostel(Hong Kong)
Dingdian Hotel(Hong Kong)
Good 3.5/5
    Zhong You Hotel(Hong Kong)
      Johnson Hostel(Hong Kong)
      • Room Service
      Sun Ying Hotel(Hong Kong)
      • Free Internet
      Yue Ka Hotel(Hong Kong)
      • Room Service
      Yo Hotel(Hong Kong)
      Average 3/5
        All reviewsguest houseclean roomshostelmongkokhk
        FilterAll languages
        Reviewed 9 February 2012

My first time stay in hostel. It a good idea for budget travelling. Although the room is small and clean but still acceptable. They do the cleaning daily. The owner Rainbow and all staff very helpful and nice. Rainbow will guide us about the travel information. Very good location, in the centre of Mongkok.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
        4  Thank Tham C
        Reviewed 5 February 2012

If you are claustrophic and traveling alone - do not stay in the private room.

This was my first time staying in a hostel in HK and even though I was aware that the room was going to be small I was not prepared for the prison like conditions of the private room for a single person.

The total size of the single private room is about the size of a closet. The bed is encased by three tiled walls and when you slip off the edge of the bed you are literally at the bathroom. I barely could close the door to take a shower b/c there was just no space!

The noise in the room is also very creepy. The sounds get flitered through the exhaust pipes and by the time it reaches your room it has an echoey effect. I could not sleep and was very grateful someone happened to have been hammering at the same time and I was able to get upgraded to a double occupancy room.

The double occupancy rooms were much better (I stayed in a room with windows) in terms of natural sounds (Mong Kong is busy so be prepared for city noises) and a bit more space. The bathroom is still very tight so if you're not that close with your traveling partner you'll need to schedule shower times as you will have to step out of the bathroom naked. There is no space and everything in there will get wet.

Pros:
        - staff very friendly, however as noted by others the brother and mother have very limited English
        - clean
        - free wifi (hard to find in the city) and free local calls
        - discounted tickets to local attractions
        - location is pretty central with food and 7-11 close by

Be aware:
        - If I havent' said it enough times - SOLO travelers do not stay in that private room
        - I stayed on two separate occasions (once by myself and the 2nd time with a friend) with a one day break. They charged me to leave my luggage behind. I was a bit surprised as I was coming back to continue my stay and it was 1 piece for 1 day.
        - Check out time is stated at 12pm on the bookings but they will try to get you out by 11am. I stayed until 12pm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window. Even though the noise from the street might keep you up you'll feel much happier as it feels werid to be encased by tiles on the wall.
        • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
        3  Thank yachingu
        Reviewed 4 February 2012

I'm claustrophobic. so you can imagine that I felt a little like my room was a prison cell. I managed to get by, using earplugs for the loud music during the night. The elevator broke down while I was there (8th floor), but I discovered another one on the other side of the block. If you're into tiled walls and no floor space but you're a budget, the Oi Suen is for you. Be aware that the desk person may not speak any English. In it's favor, my room was very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows.
        • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
        4  Thank amershon
        Reviewed 28 December 2011

we stayed with oi suen from 15-26 dec and i had booked quite late but luckily the owner rainbow was able to allocate rooms to us even during such peak periods. i'd like to personally thank her for keeping by her word and trusting us. we hadn't begun our stay or even paid any deposit and needed a huge favour from rainbow. we needed a place to store 4 huge luggages while we were away on a 5 day tour and she was very friendly in assisting us. We barely had any contact with her on those 5 days and arrived in hk at almost 11pm and rainbow actually waited all night for us to arrive.

oi suen is located in sincere house and having stayed with dragon hostel and ah shan before, i'd highly rank oi suen next to dragon hostel. i was deeply appalled by the service and manner of the owners at ah shan, where its all about the money.

oi suen is situated smack bang in mongkok close to the MTR and near by all great places for shopping or dining. rooms are small but honestly if you've stayed with other hostels, im sure you're aware that size is minimal in hk. therefore toilets and showers will also be combined, having said that if you can't live in such a small area of space, i'd suggest you not consider budget stays. you get what you pay for and hk hotels are quite expensive.

rooms and toilets are clean as they are tidied and swept everyday. rooms are equipped with fan, aircon, lcd tv, free wifi, basic toiletries, phones with free local calls.

they offer ticket deals for tourists and van services to the airport which we asked for since there were 4 of us and had way too many luggages for a taxi.

rainbow the owner of the guest house went out of her way many times in accommodating us and she was nice and friendly, funny to joke with too. overall their service is beyond excellent and it was certainly a pleasure to stay with oi suen.

p.s. the old lady is rainbow's mum and with limited english it may be hard for non-chinese guests to communicate with her please she is really nice as well and always busy on her feet.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
        8  Thank slam91
        Reviewed 13 December 2011

again, nice location with many good foods just around the corner (wantan noodle, my favourite!)

Room Tip: if you compare it with luxury hotel, I'm affraid it won't suit you. If you are the backpacker, budjet traveller, hunting for local foods, clothes, electric devices, shoes, etc...here is the right place.
        • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo