“Nice escape from the citycenter of Chongqing”

Jinyun Mountain Natural Reserve
Ranked #20 of 410 things to do in Chongqing
Reviewed 25 January 2017

General information:
You can choose to hike up the mountain (a lot of steep stairs, you have to be fit!) or you can take the bus/cable car to the top and walk down, as I did.

Information if you want to go to the top by transportation form Chongqing:
- Take the metro line 6, to Beibei station (7 RMB from Jiaochangkou station).
- From there you can take bus 520 (2 RMB) that will bring you to the top of Jinyun Mountain. It is the last stop of this bus.
- I know that there is a cable car, but I don't have any information about that.
- The bus will bring you to the entrance of the park. You will pay 7 RMB (with student card). From there you can do some sightseeing (go to Lion Peak and so on).
- If you want to see more than just those touristic areas, continue walking to the bamboo sea (in the direction of the botanical garden).

Information from Chongqing if you want to hike up the mountain:
- There are probably more entrances, but this is the one I know about. Take metro 6 to the Zhuangyuanbei station (7 RMB from Jiaochangkou station).
- Next to this station is a big round about. Take the street in the North-West direction and you will walk towards the mountain. You will actually walk towards a concrete wall with a lot of stairs on the side.
- Climb those stairs and you will enter the park through the Bamboo sea. You will find some playgrounds for children in between. I am not sure if you have to pay an entrance fee there.
- In my opinion there were not a lot of signs on the track. But if you don't mind to hike and get lost some times, it is perfect!

Overall opinion:
When I entered the park via de Jinyun Mountain I was a bit dissapointed. The peaks were not that special, since ithe view was just foggy. There were quite a lot of tourists and the park was not that big. BUT then I went a bit off the perfect-marked track, and I found out about the bamboo forest. Although there were also a lot of people walking on those track, it was very nice! There were many roads through the forest. Sometimes I was a bit lost, but as long as you stay on the concrete roads, I guess you won't get really lost.
I was happy that I took the bus up to the top of the mountain and walked down, since there were many stairs. I am quite fit, but I guess I wouldn't enjoy the view anymore after a while of walking upstairs (it might depend on the entrance you take of course, but I can't give any information about the others).

2  Thank ilipilidekker

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Went here for the views and the lovely walks. As with all natural areas I have visited in China so far, litter spoils some of the paths and photo opportunities but that being said, there are some wonderful views of Beibei and a lot of attractive wildlife on the trails from spiders and butterflies to lizards.

Well worth the trip.

Avoid during national holidays as it gets very busy I have been told.

Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

We left our hotel in Shapingba at 9.30am to get the train to Beibei (end of line 6). It took an hour and a half, and once we were there we took a taxi - we attempted to go to the bottom of the cable car but the driver offered to take us to the top of the mountain for 70yuan so we did that instead (took less than 10 minutes).
At the top it cost 7 yuan with a student card for entry, and we wandered around for a couple hours in the park.
To get down we took the cable car which cost 20yuan each and took 20 minutes - it's beautiful though, I definitely recommend it! It stopped in Beibei and we got the bus number 218 to the bus station (last stop), which is about a 5 minute walk from the metro station.

The park is beautiful and so relaxing to get away from the city centre.

1  Thank Gaby R
Reviewed 11 June 2016

A bit of a workout, but beautiful nonetheless. Do not go if you have mobility issues, but the views are phenomenal.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

This area looks almost pristine
Chongqing itself is extremely polluted and usually chaotic, but up here anybody can simply relax and enjoy nature
Waterfalls are magnificent