1,964 results
All reviews wedding suite dongsi subway station family room traditional chinese furniture narrow alley chinese experience traditional hotel forbidden city taxi driver real china beijing hutong modern amenities dumplings loved this hotel small hotel spoke good english free internet
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I just returned from a four stop tour through Hong Kong and China wherein I stayed at some of the finest hotels - Conrad in Hong Kong, Shangri La in Xian, the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai, but the most memorable one of the bunch was the Double Happiness Courtyard in Beijing. When booking the reservation, we were a bit apprehensive to staying at a Bed and Breakfast in a foreign country. However, given the prior raving reviews on Trip Advisor, we were inclined to give it a shot. I'm so glad we did. The Double Happiness Courtyard provided us with a unique experience that made us feel to in touch with Beijing. Everything about this hotel was great - the location, the ambiance, the staff - most notably, Sabrina who was soooo welcoming and friendly.

I rarely write reviews about anything, but this experience was so out of the ordinary and so unexpected, I just had to speak up. If you're up for something different than chain hotels and something culturally enriching, then by all means, book your stay at the Double Happiness. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wedding Suite, which had a private attached outdoor patio.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vsfboston
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My young daughter and I stayed here recently for 4 nights. There's not too much I can add to the other reviews other than agree. It's a nice traditional hotel. The rooms are on the small side, luckily we ony had two small carry on suitcases, as I would expect you'd be pressed to figure out where to store two large cases. You can walk fairly easily around the hutong and there are some little cafes down the lane to the right as you leave the hotel. Having said that the meals at the hotel are fine and are taken in the bar (although you can ask them to deliver the meal to your room) where my daughter also discovered the Xbox 360 upstairs on the mezzanine level (sounded like a heard of elephants when you have a couple of kids playing up there but that's fine). Breakfast is served in a breakfast room near the main entrance and was fine, a good selection of eastern and western food plus fruit and pastries. The breakfast room is a little small but we never had a problem getting a table. The ladies on reception are very helpful and speak very good English. We arrived early and an early check in was no problem including breakfast. Also the hotel was very quick to respond to email queries. If I had to criticize something I'd say the wi-fi was a bit buggy in the room and the room heater didn't work fantasticly but they were only minor things. Over all an enjoyable stay at double happiness.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed six nights here while visiting our daughter who is studying in Beijing this term. We were delighted with our choice. The hotel is the antithesis of the big chain type hotel we DIDN'T want. As we approached down the narrow Dongsi si tiao alley, we were a bit worried we'd gone a bit too far off the beaten track, but the moment we stepped inside we knew we'd nailed it. The staff speak excellent English and are eager to help with arranging everything from tours to restaurant reservations to taxis, and gave great advice on where to go and what to do locally. Breakfast should satisfy anyone - whether you like Chinese, American, or European you'll find what you're after. The decor is uncompromisingly Chinese, and the walls are liberally adorned with old photos and paintings. The bar is cozy and a great place to relax, and hosts traditional Chinese harp music and tea service some evenings. If you're looking for a place that's comfortable, affordable, and memorable, we highly recommend the Double Happiness.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Chose this hotel via Trip Advisor for a ''family education" trip to China with 2 boys aged 12 & 15. Wanted to get some where close to ''real Chinese" and avoid the big, shiny Hyatt's & Marriotts etc. All I can say is that this hotel nailed it. Approach is up a ''Hutong" alley with the taxi parting bikes, people, chickens etc to reach the front door. Well worth it.

LOCATION: in Kublai Khans ''Hutong" area, genuine, safe, close to subway (which is beyond excellent), short walk from ''main streets"

HOTEL: does what it says on the tin. Original Hutong courtyard layout, VERY quiet at night, comfortable rooms/bathrooms, wireless, nice kid-friendly bar, great bar food.

SERVICE: really ''to behold", even by Asian standards. Puts the rest of the world to shame (especially the Netherlands where I now live (dig:-)). Also though the USA as the Double Happiness service is not hard-coded & executed by "tip-hunters" ....its much more genuine and the staff have original warmth behind their eyes. Great.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good. There is no traffic or other noise to consider (other than other guest in the courtyard area itself).
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor, reading the great reviews from other travellers. It is one of the most different, exootic and homy places I ever stayed. The staff is wonderful, the happy bar is very nice - and it was visitors from all over the world. An international spot in the middle of old Beijing.
We stayed for one week and all the nights it was very quiet during the nights. That of course depend on your neighbours, but it was very nice to be able to sleep through the nights as we did.
The hotel fixed evereything for us, including ordering a taxi waiting for us at the airport upon arrival. I suggest you do this because the hotel seems to be hard to find for some taxi drivers. We also got a visit to the Beijing Opera (which was... - interesting, very weird), and a day trip to the great Wall.
The hotel has a great location, and we used the subway which is just a few minutes away.
We loved the Double Happines Courtyard Hotel and give our best recommendations!

Room Tip: Ask for room 28 if you are staying in a single room, it has more room then the other singles. I lived in room 56, it was lovely - but smaller then 28, Avoid 68, 78, 88 and 98, it is possible to look straight into the rooms if you are on the second floor opposite these rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends