“Friendly and Old World Hutong Hotel”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #14 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed in a wedding suite in this lovely hutong hotel in the centre of Beijing. We really enjoyed the architecture, location, friendly staff, decor and tranquility of this centrally located hotel. With the rates of other hotels in Beijing approaching New York prices, this hotel pricing was more in line with what you would expect from boutique hotels in comparable capital cities. Still, my suggestion would be that the hotel bathrooms need updating.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank qwertasdfgzxcvb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We also rented the wedding suite to accommodate three of us. It was lovely and tastefully decorated--even had a rooftop deck with a table and umbrella where we sat in the evenings. The hotel is located in one of the local neighborhoods--the Hutong--and we loved walking down the clean alleyway where locals walked home in the evenings, a local man sold wonderful nuts, and kids and grandparents hung out until the sun went down, etc. It was so nice! The hotel staff was wonderful--even sent us home with some local tea. The breakfast was fantastic and there was a variety of foods for all eaters. The lounge at night was very quaint and quiet with more "local flavor", as well as beautiful small courtyards where you could sit and read or just relax. Fabulous place!

Room Tip: Just keep in mind that you are in a local neighborhood and the neighbors can be loud at times.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveling3Singapore
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed in the wedding suite, not because I was a newly wed, (I was travelling solo for business) but because I wanted a bigger room and Agoda had a great special on. The room was not bigger but oh my golly goodness, it was delightful! I don't think I have ever been so moved walking into a room before. There was teak wood and silk upon silk and a delicate china tea set and lollies in a heart-shaped bowl and everything was red (customary colour for weddings). The room was warm and faced the courtyard, and the bed was so very comfortable, the kind where you just melt into it. The bar was a great place to relax, the breakfast was interesting to say the least but the food in the bar was a little on the average side. Staff were wonderful, every single one of them. Oh, and don't be put off by the fact it is down an alleyway. The alleyway is not scary at all and cars can fit down the street - if you are worried, just ask your taxi driver to drop you out front.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Venner135
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at this gem of a hotel for six nights, and loved every minute of it. The location is great, in a nice neighbourhood Hutong minutes from Dongsi subway station. The staff were simply lovely, very professional, efficient, and above all very friendly. The room was a delight, very quiet, with ac/heating, solid fast wifi, TV, minibar, wonderful decor and artifacts, and nice en suite. The ambience of the hotel is also a delight. After ten days on the train from England, this was heaven. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: I had a double room to myself, well worth the cost, on the ground floor in the first courtyard. Very...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2012

March 26-30, 2012
My experience in Beijing was fantastic. The hotel is not your “western” style and it met all my requirements of being a typical Chinese culture hotel. I had no expectations and was happy with my accommodation which was clean and tidy. I had a single room which was not large but suited me just fine. I had the best sleeps in the quietest room I’ve had in a hotel for a long time. The staff were helpful, spoke English well, answered all my questions, fixed the computer in my room which was not working for me. Breakfast was very good and plentiful in a buffet style.
Due to being picked up every day for tours I did not venture far outside of the hotel but I did walk in the “alley/lane” and found the area interesting and nobody bothered me. There was construction going on but that added to the interest. The location did not seem far from interesting sites. Value for me was great, although it was included as part of the tour I had organized before leaving home, the only idea I have on the price was what is on the web site. On leaving I was presented with a tin of tea which was a complete and unexpected surprise. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo