All reviews chinese style forbidden city hutong hotel authentic experience double room three star china english nightlife district communication
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Bamboo Garden Hotel in the beginning of our travel through china for two nights. It is surely one of the few hotels with a very traditional look. The neighborhood it lies in is very run down and dirty- but the overall location is not bad, as the center and a beautiful Lake District with lots of nightlife is not far away. The checkin and general communication in this hotel depends a lot on which receptionist you have, one lady speaks sufficiently good English, the rest barely any. The rooms are quite different: we had one double and one triple bedroom. The double room was quite small, the triple was a significantly larger twin bedroom with an extra bed (not what we consider worth paying three full prices for but I guess that's the travel agency's fault). Both rooms were clean but a little run down. The breakfast is good with a variety of dishes to choose from.
Additionally I can recommend a small shop just when you leave the hotel and head right were you can get stuff you may need (beverages etc) to really good prices.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ExploreAndAdvance
Reviewed 23 September 2016

Lovely looking rooms. Constant lingering smell of urine. Rock solid beds. Disgusting very expensive breakfast. Very rude, unhelpful and positively obstructive staff. Metro is not far away but the staff will not give you any assistance to find it. No English spoken unless they decided they would. Cannot read the Chinese translation app.
I asked about the silk markets other than the modern Mall and places to buy silk rugs I was treated to complete disdain and a blunt No.
The hotel clearly had a deal with the tour operators to Mutianyu. We wanted to see the Great Wall at Jinshanling. The rudeness and the furious looks I was given when I would not budge but wanted to go to Jinshanling. I was charged CNY 1,200 and told I had a total of 6 hours to get there, see the wall and drive back. I said we wanted all day - no was the answer you want to go there this is what is available. It was a long drive and we did actually come down from the wall and back to the driver hours before we wanted to. At the end when we were back at the hotel the driver gave me my receipt. I had paid for 9 hours. I could have stayed at the wall 3 hours longer. My once in a life time trip and cut so much shorter than I wanted or was needed just from sheer perverse spite.

Excessively overpriced. Not clean. You would be better choosing another Chinese style hotel. Definitely do not waste your precious holiday on this.

Room tip: Don't stay here. Request a garden view room.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Karene W
Reviewed 7 August 2016

Let Down

We were looking forward to our stay as the internet pictures looked wonderful with a nice,
Central garden
Ching Dynasty single level buildings
Close to Metro.

The pictures of the hotel and grounds are not representative. Many of the ground floor rooms and suits have translucent treatment on the windows making the rooms very dark and dingy. The rooms are small and the bath rooms are even smaller and are totally enclosed with limited ventilation resulting in bad odours. All sorts of cleaning equipment, spare beds were left laying in the corridors. Scuff marks pealing paint etc. in may places and some very extensive.
I developed a very bad back ache and finally realised the the bed mattress sunk excessively in the middle which probably was the cause of my problem.
The furniture is Chinese style which is made from hard carved polished wood giving a nice appearance but making them very uncomfortable to use for any length time. All nicer outlook rooms are on the 3 rd floor and with no elevators they are not suitable for physically impaired people.
Breakfast is definitely not worth it as the choice is limited with food quality being very poor. The service was equally the same as it felt like we were very privileged to being served. There were 3 staff pooled together talking and when I asked for the orange juice dispenser to be filled, I got a look that I cannot describe (all drink dispensers were empty) from then on we ate local Chinese or McDonalds which was a 5 minute walk.

I need to mention that the Bell boy plus Housekeeping did a super job.

We chose the hotel as it was in a good area close to the metro with nice central garden,
However at a price of 800 RMB ($A180) a night we could have stayed at several 5 star hotels and many 4 star hotel which start at 520 RMB a night.
Be careful when you book as the breakfast, tax and service charge is not included in the quoted price.
There is a large choice of old style hotels with gardens at a much lower price which we will take advantage of on our next trip.

Disappointed and let down.

Room tip: 2 nd and 3 rd floor garden view rooms are the best
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill B k
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Beautiful place to live in. I stayed here for 2 weeks and I never got sick of the area. The temperature was good and the location was fabulous. Close to the train station and away from traffic. The night sleeping was great. Would highly recommend

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

Travel agent recommended after staying at multiple 5 star hotels. Would not recommend. Gardens are lovely, but hotel felt old and smelly. Room smelled, could hear next door urinating. Was traveling solo on this trip and did not feel I could leave hotel to walk around myself. Check in staff was not friendly when arrived. One restaurant. Bed in room was literally hard as a box. I guess if you are looking for cheap it works, but I switched hotels the day I checked in. All hotels I stayed in throughout China offered free bottled water in room, this did not. It truly was somewhere not for me.

Date of stay: July 2016