“Lovely food and setting”
Review of Dianke Dianlai

Dianke Dianlai
Ranked #584 of 12,995 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Yunnan
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Description: Delicious Chinese cuisine well prepared and beautifully presented in this different, yet rewarding restaurant.
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This place is a hidden gem. We did have a tough time finding the place and you should look at the photo on reviews of the front door which will hopefully help of you are visiting – and I recommend you do. We had pre-booked through our hotel and once we arrived we fumbled through the language barrier to choose the 198 rmb fixed price for 14 dishes and we also ordered drinks. We thoroughly enjoyed the food. We had a mixture of fish, meat and vegetable dishes. I cannot say that I loved all fourteen but i loved most of them and enjoyed trying them all. The quality was higher than most of what we came across in China.

4  Thank flan_1969

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I had a business dinner last night in Beijing & decided at the last minute not to eat in the hotel so I quickly looked up trip advisor for a place close by. This place came up & I took a chance. It was excellent. 4 of us just arrived with no booking & were immediately seated. It was a Tuesday night & only 4 tables were in use. From what I could see propanol 25% full. There was another table with 4 westerners. It is small but clean with good food. You need to be prepared for the enterance as it is in a Hutong & beside a local shop & lots of smokIng taxi drivers as you go in.
As most places in china still a lot of smOking in the Restuarant which I hate, but was not disturbed. Not sure if there is a non smoking section.
I would definetly go back for food & atmosphere

2  Thank Africapaddy
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Yes it is hidden. It is in a hutong and has no particular sign outdoor other than the big number showing its address. Ince inside you will find that the staff speak practically no english. This is not a problem as it is a fixed menu. The only decision is whether to drink tea or beer..
There is plenty of food, several types and all very good. This is not a fancy high-end restaurant but a very authentic experience. The good thing about Yunnan food for a westerner is that there is no surprise. This is very accessible food and one of the best value for the money in Beijing.

4  Thank Jean-Pierre D
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We got the small tasting menu which consisted of:

Sweet beans
Spicy noodle soup
Minced pork with veg
Grapes
Water beers

Hidden in a hutong and a bit hard to find. Smaller set menu was more than enough food. Service was very good. Almost every course was very good. "a hidden gem".

3  Thank bearshark
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I love Yunnan food and the dishes at Dianke Dianlai are perfect. The owner was the head chef at an old favorite Dali Courtyard. He seems to bring a " something special" to everything he does.
This is a very small restaurant, with just a few tables & a couple of waitresses. It is very relaxed & friendly. We visited during winter so didn't get to sample the courtyard area but I can imagine it as being a lovely place to sit in the the warmer months.

We rang the day before to reserve a table. As other reviews have mentioned it is a set menu which is a great way to dine and sample a variety of dishes. We started off with Pu'er tea, an expensive tea specialty of the Yunnan region. There is also beer & Chinese wine available. The tea comes as part of the courses but if you want beer or wine you will need to pay for them separately. The beer was RMB15.

The first dish was a fresh minty salad with paper thin slices of fresh vegetables. Then came, at different stages, a Matsutake mushroom dish, gorgeous fish with lemmongrass. We had a roasted chicken style dish with rosemary, pork with a dipping sauce, Crossing the bridge noodles, Five coloured rice and a refreshing stirfry of fresh vegetables. I have probably missed a dish or 2. The food was wonderful - so fresh and flavoursome.

The waitresses were very friendly & helpful. There was no rush to leave & after the meal they cheerfully topped up our tea with more hot water. As others have mentioned it was a bit tricky to find - not Dafangjia Hutong itself but the actual restaurant. Thankyou to the reviewers who posted photos of the outside entrance ( there is no sign saying Dianke Dianlai).

To sum up I would give a rating of 10 if I could. Food, ambiance, wait staff all above average & excellent. A very enjoyable dining experience.

8  Thank annieandhamish

Been to Dianke Dianlai? Share your experiences!