US$306
US$209
US$123
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$143/night.

US$220
  • Pool
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$251
US$141
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$162/night.

US$238
Hotels.com
US$104
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$119/night.

US$427
  • Breakfast included
US$356
US$316
  • Pool
All reviewsdongsi subway stationdumpling partyforbidden citya private double roomensuite bathroomdumplingswet roommin walklounge areagreat wall of chinastayed for nightshutong areaenglishbackpackerstoilettaxicurtains
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We traveled to China during mid-August 2011. My fiance and I stayed at Happy Dragon Hostel for 5 days. We both really liked the hostel and the staff was SO friendly, especially Betty. We felt very comfortable and relaxed there immediately.

The location is GREAT! The Dongsi subway is about a 5 minute walk away. Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City are about 20-25 minute walk from the hostel. Wangfujing street is only 5-10 minutes away. It is such an excellent area to be situated in! Also the map on the Happy Dragon website under the about us tab (i think) is dead on. We used this map the whole time and never got lost. Beihai Park and Jangsan Park ( i think that's the name, it over looks the Forbidden city) is only a 15-20 minute walk away. Go to Beihai!!

The food at the restaurant was also very, very good and the kitchen was very clean (we saw it as we walked by). We ate at the restaurant a lot because the price was good and we knew we were eating somewhere we wouldn't get sick. Also the free dinner nights are not meant as an actual dinner, it's at 8:00 p.m anyways. It's more snacking and socializing which is fine. People shouldn't complain about free food anyways.

Regarding the rooms, we had a private double ensuite room. It was simple and nothing special BUT it was clean. There wasn't dust or dirt anywhere in the room!! I was so shocked. As long as the room is clean that's all that matters to me. Plus, if you are exploring China I would think you wouldn't stay in your room much as a source of entertainment.

The accommodations were great and we always felt comfortable! SO many restaurants within a 2-5 minute walk as well!

I would recommend staying here!

Also, if you arrive at the airport for example at 2 p.m. tell them you will check in by 5 p.m. The Beijing airport is HUGE and takes a really long time to walk anywhere. There is a train that is connected to the airport that takes you to the subway in the city and takes about 40 minutes or so.

Once at Dongsi station go out of the exit Happy Dragon Hostel says on their website. Then cross the street. You will see a Chinese traditional looking arch (street name on the map is incorrect).. go through there. Pass the movie theatre, and then turn right at the building that has a pagoda looking thing coming out of it. It's very hard to get lost.
On the website there are picture directions so the hostel is SO easy to find!

Room Tip: Email them a month then a week ahead of time to make sure your room is reserved.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rosie712
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I'm in my mid 40s, and this was just my second experience at staying in a hostel. Loved it! Happy Dragon was a wonderful little place--very friendly staff, good location, nice restaurant, and clean & quiet.

A friend and I shared a small room. It was clean, quiet and had a private bathroom. It was also very inexpensive--$25/night for 2 people! There were a mix of ages, so we did not feel out of place.

There's a small bar/restaurant behind the reception, and I had a nice breakfast there each morning. Also, the hostel offers a couple of special events each weeks, which allows you to meet other travelers. My friend and I attended a sort of fondue dinner one night, and it was free, delicious and fun. We also took a one hour bike tour--again free--and it was also interesting and great fun.

I can't say there are many tourist spots located close to the hostel, but there's certainly lots of great chinese culture nearby. But there's a subway station nearby, and it wasn't too long of a walk to get to some of the city's more significant sites.

My friend and I took a tour of the Great Wall one day, which was offered (for a fee) by the hostel. It was fantastic. We met some other travelers staying at other hostels, and we had a nice lunch after our walk on the wall.

What else to stay? I'm very glad I stayed here, and I'd absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank afinetraveler
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I had a private room with a sizable bathroom. This hostel has clean rooms and a variety of tours. Fog example I got in late and signed up for the great wall tour for the next morning. It went to what had been recommended as the best section of wall to visit, without stopping off at jade factories, etc. In general, good value and good location.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Pamelams
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed here for almost two weeks, booked Xi'an train ticket immediately, but incompetent staff still could only reserve a third tier hard sleeper nine days in advance! Rushed back one evening for the duck "dinner". Don't bother, you barely get any food, we waited forever for food and still had to go out to dinner afterwards. Went on the overnight Great Wall trip which cost 450 Yuan per person. Most people brought along a tiny daypack with some warm clothes believing the staff when they said that they would provide everything. Well, they provide it, and then put it in a big pile in the parking lot and expect YOU to carry it all the way up to the tower-not an easy climb. NO ONE was prepared for carrying a tent, sleeping bag, pad, beer, and water (which they did NOT provide nearly enough of). This is after eating a huge lunch which they provide just before you are expected to hike almost 2 hours up hill carrying everything, even though there were 4 workers. The next morning, they had thrown most of the trash over the wall!!! Breakfast the next day did not include anything to drink. This hostel is located in the back corner of a mall parking lot.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nevillebartos
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Totally cute, very foreigner friendly and these will be the nicest Chinese staff you might meet in Beijing. We didn't really meet too many friendly Chinese locals excepts for friends that we made there but this place made you feel instantly comfortable. It's not for everyone but after traveling as long as we had anything cool and clean is welcome. Surprisingly the western food served the the cafe is some of the best we'd had on the trip and they even offer hookah which is an added plus. They also keep bags for you while you travel to nearby sites like The Great Wall or the Forbidden City if you are already checked out. We had a double en-suite and found the price to be reasonable.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple