Aloft Beijing Haidian
Orbitz.com
US$227
US$196
Orbitz.com
All reviewsa small swimming poolvia taxicentral beijingrooms are cleaninternetasiametro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

We were a bit apprehensive to book after reading some of the negative reviews but decided to ignore them and take advantage of the reasonable rewards rate. Thank goodness we did. We've stayed in Aloft hotels in the U.S. and Thailand - this one completely lives up to the Aloft standard. We had a wonderful stay. Our room was spacious, the TV was modern, the design was chic, and the bed was very comfy. The restaurant is a bit limited but there is a large shopping mall with many restaurants nearby.

The biggest downside is the location. While it is near a giant shopping mall and the metro is 20 min walk away, it is quite far from the city center. The Aloft makes a great spot to relax and watch some movies but isn't a great base for day trips around Beijing (except for the Summer Palace). It is also worth noting that Beijing is a VERY large city, so most major attractions, train stations, etc. will require a ~45 min commute if you travel by public transport, unless you are staying within walking distance of the Forbidden Palace.

Haidian seems to be an affluent area of Beijing, filled with luxury shopping malls, big business offices, and universities. It is far from a "slum" as one reviewer described it.

Good to remember that Aloft is the "budget" brand in the SPG portfolio. For those wanting extreme luxury and pampering, best whip our the checkbook and stay at a St. Regis.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2016

As a Gold preferred guest, this is the worst SPG I ever stayed at. The male staff at reception desk was very rude. When I checked in, he didn't even use any polite words, just kept staring at the pathetic POS machine, cold and very impatient. The room was cramped and it went quite noisy on rainy night. As for the location, it situated in the middle of a slum and you got to walk for 20 minute to the nearest shabby metro station. What a joke!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley W
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed one night on business.

Bar was supposedly open but no staff and beer was fetched from next door Four Points hotel by Aloft staff and most of what was advertised as available was not. Curious arrangement but the staff member we eventually found was helpful.

Room spacious, bed hard but not as bad as some Chinese hotels, however it couldn't be classed as comfortable.

No iron or ironing board in room despite there being an iron holder. This is a pet hate for business hotels, an iron is essential.

Breakfast good except for no decaf coffee so had to use that which I'd brought with me. Breakfast area not very clean but it was busy.

Checkout was the big problem. Hotel kept insisting I had to pay a second time despite having a voucher/receipt clearly showing I had already paid 3 rooms online. We refused to pay again but this argument went on and on, eventually my Chinese colleague told the hotel staff we had to leave for a meeting at which point the staff backed down and let us just pay for our bar bill and not have to pay for the rooms a second time. It was clearly a scam to rip off Western customers, we only got out of this con due to our Chinese colleague standing firm.

As scamming guests is unacceptable I would prefer to give this hotel zero stars but Tripadvisor does not permit this.

Be warned, if you use Aloft Beijing Haidian make sure you don't get scammed in this way by the hotel reception staff.

I will certainly never use Aloft ever again after this episode.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank TimBrooksbank
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

I used my Starwood points to redeem three nights at this hotel. I was really satisfied with my stay. The location of the hotel was not bad. There was a big supermarket within 10 min walk. The room was spacious and very clean. The design was also very modern. I would like to stay at this place again if I am in Beijing.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2016

This is the first Aloft in China and in Asia. A typical Aloft, the rooms are modern and comfortable, but being the first, things look tired, carpet needs replacement, everywhere needs minor touch up here and there. Breakfast was a let down, more like typical budget China hotel, than Aloft, certainly room for improvement in this area. A tiny pool with no changing and a small gym is available on the ground floor, sufficient for one in need of quick exercise. However, at that rate, it is value for money and honestly the bed is comfortable for a good night sleep. Recommended for SPG members for business and have to be around that area.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business