“Special treat”

Ranked #2 of 177 Restaurants in Mombasa
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2022 via mobile

This place ain’t cheap, but it’s delicious! I ordered the squash soup and the tuna tataki, both were yummy. The panoramic view of Mombasa is also impressive. I went for lunch, must be nice at night too

Date of visit: March 2022
Geraldine D, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2022

Dear Guest, Thank you for checking us out and for giving us a great 5 star review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found the views of Mombasa impressive and the food delicious particularly the squash soup and tuna tataki. It’s always inspiring and encouraging for the team to hear that their efforts have made a positive impression on our guests and we thank you very much for the valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards Geraldine

Write a reviewReviews (744)

Reviewed 13 February 2022

You see, many hotels don't take good care of
mostly their waiting staff. But this Restaurant, gives me a feel that they don't waste the energy their staff put out towards their work!!

I really wanted to surprise my friend on a prevalentine sort of day, and the process started randomly when I asked a waiter(Kyalo) if they could organise a special dinner. He explained so much to me, served me very very well, thought of sorting very small details like giving me a table that has an extra chair for my handbag, and best part is, he gave details to whoever is in charge of planning my special dinner (not many staffs pass information after a guest query)

Well, I had to keep making phone calls, which were not being received until eventually I got a response and transferred to Hilda who was patient with me, made sure she got back to me in the shortest time! Wonderful!

Then, I went again to the hotel to confirm the spot I wanted, another lady who also made my boyfriend birthday surprise on the dhow showed up(her name starts with a P) and she took me straight to Hilda's office to have me sorted (Which Kyalo was kind enough and already offered to take me but I appreciated his attention and opted to wait at the waiting area)

That, day came, Emma took charge with all details given to her(i love the team communication amongst each other) and she was so so efficient and ready for me to give her signs on what to do next.

Richard, another great waiter! He was just too kind and on standby in case we needed anything, he just did his job so well...

And I overheard another waiter being kind to different guests who seemed from Korea as they were leaving, this waiter appreciated them and asked if he should reserve the same spot for the next day! This showed that the waiter is also helping make more business!

Not to forget the hostess who just gave a great smiling welcoming us and once she knew we are the ones who are taking the reserves table, she passed the information so fast I didn't notice to a gentleman to welcomed us to our table, I wish I got their names but I could say, the whole team!! Wow!

I'm an ex hotelier, I know how things work on the inside, and if those things are happening, these staffs are far too good with their hospitality!

Keep up to everyone in the team!! Keep up guys❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Date of visit: February 2022
Geraldine D, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2022

Dear Gisela, thank you for choosing Tamarind to surprise your friend and for giving us such a wonderful 5 star review. We are delighted to hear that the service from the various staff was helpful and that your visit met with your expectation. We are very proud of our service team and we are happy to hear that they made such a positive impact on your experience. Your complimentary feedback has been shared with Hilda, Kyalo Prudence and the rest of the team and is a great boost to their dedicated efforts. We look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in the area. Kind regards Geraldine

Reviewed 21 January 2022 via mobile

This was our second visit to the restaurant and it was even better than last time. The service is extremely attentive and management is very involved. I was very impressed with the staff knowledge of the different wines.

The food was out of this world! Very impressed. Especially the Swahili lobster and tarte tatin was outstanding.

Date of visit: January 2022
Geraldine D, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2022

Dear Katrijn and Jeroen, It gives us great pleasure to hear that this was the second occasion you have visited the Tamarind Mombasa and you found it even better than the last time. We are delighted that you found the food good and he service attentive. These are definitely the things we are very proud of about our restaurant and we are happy to hear that they made a positive impact on your dining experience. Many thanks again for your great feedback which has been shared with the team, and we look forward to your return visit in the future. Kind regards Geraldine

Reviewed 8 January 2022 via mobile

Had a meal at Tamarind (1st visit there). The food was AMAZING. So well presented, fresh and so tasty! Will definitely be back.

Date of visit: December 2021
Geraldine D, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2022

Dear Guest, thank you so much for checking us out and giving a a great 5 star review. We are delighted to hear that your visit met with your expectations and you found the food fresh, well presented and tasty. Your feedback has been shared with the team and is a boost to their efforts. We Truly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Kind regards Geraldine

Reviewed 25 December 2021

Tamarind has an excellent choice of sea-food and for the time i tried the muscles and let me tell you, i have become Tamarind Muscle Fan.

I had ordered grilled fish with chips and it was an absolute delight. Finished the entire (big) portion, rather should say i polished the plate.

To end the meal we ordered Creme Brulette and they serve a variety three in serving, so you get to taste all the different varieties of it. I believe its a very good idea.

All in All an Evening well Eaten

African Quest Safaris / Dar Guide

Date of visit: November 2021
Geraldine D, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2022

Dear Masood, Thank you for taking the time to post such a rave review. Your enthusiastic comments are music to our ears and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience and that the food you chose was excellent, particularly the grilled fish and chips and Creme Brule. It's definitely a boost for us every time we hear positive reviews such as this and we will be sure to let the team know what a positive impact they made on your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards Geraldine