See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

The facility is old, sort of neglected and not so clean it yearns for renovation. Spiders and mosquitos hover across the rooms and the children's park is abandoned and scary.
Similar foods served all the time since what is offered in the menu is so mean.
The staff are not motivated thus expect poor and slow services.
If you got to visit Nairobi on a shoe-string budget, YMCA isn't worth considering.
Not worth.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

The YMCA is a disgusting hostel. The rooms are dirty, taps and toilets constantly leak, and the staff is rude and unfriendly. I stayed here two separate times and both were a bad experience. The food is pretty horrible for the price you pay and it's basically the same thing every day. I was sleeping one morning and a staff member unlocked my door and walked into my room - I said "excuse me?" and he just turned around and left. That made me feel real safe. There are better places in Nairobi to stay for that price! Looking into Manyatta Backpackers -- similar price and wayyyyy nicer!!!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2015

I have stayed here probably a total of 4 times now in the last 6 months.

We live in Narok and regularly make the trip to and from Nairobi to see friends or to fly around East Africa/Kenya. As flight times can be quite random and taking a long distance matatu when it's dark is asking for an accident, we usually crash the night in Nairobi. It also breaks up the long journey times. If we aren't staying at a friend's place then the YMCA is our first choice.

In terms of price, you won't really find anyone as centrally located for this cheap. A double room is 3200 KES. It includes a very basic but adequate breakfast of toast, coffee, a boiled egg and a sausage. The rooms are very basic and a big dingy, but at least you get a mosquito net (which you definitely need cause the whole place is teeming with mozzies), and an ensuite with hottish water. The trick, as with most East African showers, is to run the water so that the electric heating element turns on, then turn down the water pressure so that the water trickling through is heated for longer and is hotter.

The wifi in the restaurant is pretty fast, the swimming pool is huge and clean and there is always someone at reception and at the gate, so when you arrive at 4am in the morning, you know you can get a room. The place is huge so I doubt you would ever find it fully booked.

If you have money, stay somewhere nice, if you are on a budget, accept it for what it is and appreciate the convenience.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DocMarkL
Reviewed 12 April 2015

I stayed at YMCA Central for 3.5 weeks for a student project and would not go there again. The staff was sometimes unfriendly and forgot my order about every second day, no matter how empty the place was. Breakfast was a joke, as you got a small omelette, bread (not toasted) and a sausage for 400Ksh. You can get a breakfast twice as big at a rather pricy place down the street for 250Ksh.
We held our final workshop, where we presented our findings, at the YMCA and had them cater food. They tried to offer us a deal where we pay for 100 people, and the YMCA gets the leftovers. We would have had to pay for the same food again (!) if we wanted to eat something for dinner. I think it's a disgrace to rip off your costumers, especially if the same university sends a big student group every year.
The rooms were clean in general, but got cleaned irregularly. Once, well-hidden cash was stolen from one of the rooms we rented. The security guards downstairs sleep tighter than you do.
Even though the price ($13.50 each for a three person room) was okay, I would rather pay a bit more next time and stay at a place that actually enjoys having customers.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2014

Average hotel but served its purpose.

I stayed in the Nairobi YMCA for one night before flying to Holland early the next morning. The hotel rooms are basic and there was very little hot water in the showers. The ceiling of the room was mouldy but it was only for one evening so I wasnt bothered at all.

I was deffinately surprised at how cold Nairobi was at 4am in the morning.

Hotel has good facilities and a pool on the grounds. Overall, I would stay here again for short periods of time.
Good location for the rest of the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends