“Bad bathrooms, good breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
YMCA Nairobi (Central Branch)
Ranked #152 of 296 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I stayed for one night at the YMCA Nairobi after flying in on a Friday night. I desperately needed to get in touch with a friend, and was relying on the internet, as I had no phone yet, but their internet was down (and continued to be for the length of my stay). However the staff was helpful and eventually I got in touch with my friend and told him I arrived safely.

I got a single with a shared bathroom for 1500 Ksh. The toilets were pretty disgusting; the light didn't work and the toilet didn't flush, but the shower rooms were nicer (at least the light worked) with good pressure and delightfully hot water.

Breakfast was good - but anytime I eat anything other than bread and blueband for breakfast I get excited, so my standards may be low. Anyway, it was cold cereal or porridge, lots of fruit, tea, eggs and sausages. The fruit was fresh and delicious.

For the price, it was a good stay, but I can't help but think there would be better places to stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: I recommend one with its own bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kbyrdCalifornia

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Ilived and worked here as a VSO in 1967/8.
I was so thrilled to return. The staff were very friendly and eager to help. Never once did I feel anyone was taking advantage of me financially. All were trying hard make my stay just what I wanted. Asd usual I found some fascinating people staying there and had some unique conversations with discerning peoplke who woul;dnt dream of wsting money on a rather superficial "glamour hotel" . Everything here was peacefdul;e, simple ,local and wholesome. Only the room decor and furniture (which was just the same as 1967 but with the wear and tear 44 years brings. I wish I had time to volunteer and decorate each room one at a time!

Well done YMCA Wewll done Kenya -I am so proud of you! See the real Nairobi stay at YMCA Centraql!

Room Tip: De luixe rooms have a bit more room abd are still very cheap.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Neil S
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed longer than intended due to sickness, but found the Y to be adequate for this because of its location. It's 5 minutes walk from the centre of Nairobi, in a very safe area where you can also walk to the Arboretum to see beautiful trees and plants and do some altitude training. Food at the Y is delicious, good value and very popular during the week. If you stay on Sunday, be mindful of the fact that there are four churches that meet within the compound, four, seriously! Staff are professional, kind and friendly. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Toilets and Showers were in good condition, so I chose the non-deluxe rooms with shared facilities a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Sam D
Reviewed 16 April 2012

this hostel is have a perfect location.

The room is OK - be prepared for low african standard (this is a hostel, and I rated it as a hostel).
old furnitures, baathrooms are small (some rooms have problems with hot water)

The best part is the garden restaurant. Where you can take good meal for 4 USD, or just a cup of tea and meet other travelers.

Smiling staff !
Safe place !
Fair taxi-service !
Walking distance to city center - (even at nights...... if you are a small group)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tengs
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Good environment and nice crew. Rooms need new furniture, beds are comfortable and bathrooms are OK. Good breakfast is included in the fare.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business