“Never To Be Forgotten”

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Luxor
Reviewed 11 December 2017

I stayed with my brother at Sofitel Winter Palace in Luxor for 2 days. We had the Nile View Luxury Room and it was comfortable and convenient.
The hotel provides you with several options for the rooms. The decorations of the hotel are fantastically old-fashioned and full of antiques.
You will love its Victorian Lounge, Night Bar, Garden and Swimming Pool facilities.
The hotel is located in the centre of the city, so the Souk is a walking distance as well as Luxour Temple and Museums.
What I loved most about the hotel is:
1. I could see the Balloon Rides every morning from my balcony which was such a nice view.
2. The Guest Relations professional "Elaria" made sure to take us around the hotel, encouraged us to discover each part of it, and she listened to every comment and feedback we had to share. She really did a great effort to make sure that we have a marvellous stay. Special thanks to her!

Room Tip: Ask about King Farouk's Room or Howard Carter's or Earl Carnarvon's Opera Suites.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank EmanFathy
SHAWERSelim, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2017

Dear EmanFathy,
Greetings from the land of the Pharaohs! The whole team of the Winter palace are thanking you most sincerely for your interest in Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, and are indeed delighted to read that you fully enjoyed the historical charm of the great old palace, facilities and services provided by our dedicated team members. As you stated, our team is very much committed to serve with sincerity, care and passion in order to ensure each Guest a memorable stay and experience, your gratitude and kind words are shared with all the team members I sincerely hope that you took home memorable moments of your stay and we hope that on your future visits to Luxor, The Sofitel Winter Palace will be your destination again as we look forward to welcoming you back. With best regards, Selim SHAWER Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed 10 December 2017

we had a lovely weekend here and enjoyed an excellent bed, great breakfasts, stunningly beautiful grounds, lovely staff and highly recommend this property - would only wish that the heaters for the pool were working as the heated pool was one of the main reasons we chose it - however, we will return - it was a great stay and thank you to everyone - a superb meal at 1886 and wonderful high tea in a box at the Victorian Lounge - loved it all

Room Tip: top floor rooms if in the Pavillion - otherwise you MUST stay in the Blue Suite
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle A
SHAWERSelim, Hotel Mananger at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2017

Dear Michelle A,
Greetings from the land of the Pharaohs! The whole team of the Winter palace are thanking you most sincerely for your interest and loyalty to Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, and are indeed delighted to read that you fully enjoyed the historical charm of the great old palace, facilities and services provided by our dedicated team members. As you stated, our team is very much committed to serve with sincerity, care and passion in order to ensure each Guest a memorable stay and experience, your gratitude and kind words are shared with all the team members Thank you so much for your valuable recommendation. I sincerely hope that you took home memorable moments of your stay and we hope that on your future visits to Luxor, The Sofitel Winter Palace will be your destination again as we look forward to welcoming you back. With best regards, Selim SHAWER Hotel Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Since 30 years I have had the honour of feeling the strong classic sense of the real character and spirit of Luxor , of what was once known as the ancient city of Thebes . The Old Winter Palace Hotel ; which would have been the official winter residence of King Farouk , the last monarch of Egypt .....I am delighted to say still represents a strong presence in this city and like an old friend is always beckoning you back ......to open the white shuttered windows and look onto the Nile ......to walk through its historic corridors and to smell the pungent perfume of the iconic palmed gardens ....it is all priceless. No value can be placed on this .....

Please do not hesitate to return through the wood and brass revolving doors of this magical vintage classic hotel .It is the classic face of this city and represents a culmination of much of the best and most valued elements of the story of Thebes .There will also always be a very kind ,beautiful smiling face waiting for you as you come down the sweeping staircase also ......whom like a perfect reflection of the hotel , shall politely and with much class and care drive you to all the precious landmarks the city still holds ; Mr Soury Youssif ( 00201006836751). Since over a decade he has taken care of me with great courtesy ; truly a life saver and like this wonderful establishment , a dear , dear friend .

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Dear Karina P ,
It was our pleasure having the chance to host you with us. I would like to thank you most sincerely for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Winter Palace with others guests’ on TripAdvisor. We are glad to know you fully enjoyed the historical charm of the great Old palace where lots of the presidents and celebrities have stayed in which was built in 1886. It is always a great pleasure to receive such compliments, as it truly serves as a motivational factor in striving to achieve excellence Thank you again for sharing your luxury experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. Best regards , Selim SHAWER

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Whilst staying in Luxor for the fourth time this year - 12th time in Luxor, I always stay at The Sonesta St George. I was invited by my friend - who is male - to visit the pool at the Winter Palace for 2 to 3 hours on the Monday afternoon. Our plan was to then have drinks on the terrace and meet our friends, who live and have a business in Luxor in the Royal Bar.

On arriving at the front of the hotel, it was surprising to see NO SECURITY outside. Shop workers were standing and chatting. A shop worker came over to me and kindly helped me with my bag. There were no staff around anywhere! What was more disturbing, was the fact that there was NO SECURITY of any kind at the front of the hotel. I walked into the hotel, there was one male member of staff behind the reception desk, who on the telephone - he did not acknowledge me at all as he was in conversation. Moreover, there was NO SECURITY of any kind in reception - just one young male who was in the telephone. I was able to walk into the hotel, across the large reception area, look around and seat myself for 5 minutes, waiting for my friend.

During this time I was not acknowledged by any members of staff or security. Furthermore, no one offered me any assistance or help, which would have been appreciated due to a previous spinal surgery. There was a really lack of customer service, general courtesy and diligence. I could have been a terrorist with a bomb!!! Consequently, this is why I only stay at The Sonesta St George every time I visit Luxor each year. There are always 4 armed security guards at reception at all times, with additional armed security outside the hotel at all times. This gives me total piece of mind. All bags are searched before entering the hotel and everyone walks through security. The Hilton too, also has a very high level of security. Staying in Luxor 50-60 days each year, sometimes with friends and sometimes alone, my safety is paramount to me. There is a tourist police presence on the streets. As a western woman I feel safe for this reason. However, there were no tourist police outside the hotel or in the vicinity. The Winter Palace has a duty to protect it’s guests and clearly needs to review it’s security staffing level - this is a serious issue! Thankfully, my visit to the pool was a very short one.

Once out by the pool, a member of staff spoke to my friend 4 times - in front of other guests - regarding payment for me to be by the pool. It was really embarrassing in how they were addressing the issue.I was embarrassed for my friend and felt very uncomfortable at how this issue was being managed and processed - such a fuss for around £4, was really unprofessional that they couldn’t process it without my passport. Each time he said for it to be billed to his room account. In the end I believe he went to pay the daily charge of 100LE (approx £4.25) so we could relax in the sunshine; it was my penultimate day in Luxor. I was continually asked for my passport. I advised it was in the safe at Sonesta St George and if they need to ring my hotel, then the Reservations Manager would be happy to confirm my stay and send a copy of my passport on my authority. The UK Foreign Office website states official photo ID is advisable to carry. I have a full UK/European photo-card driving licence which was with me at the time, however, the hotel only wanted a passport for me to lay on a sun-bed! Friends of mine who visited the pool in July, didn’t have this problem - they were all male; surely this can’t be sexism going on here in a 5* hotel??

We decided to order some water and a beer. Poolside service was mediocre. Staff didn’t walk around asking guests if they required anything - they were all standing together talking at the far end of the pool area. My friend swam across both pools to order drinks. 15 minutes later our water and a bottle of beer still hadn’t arrived. So when he went back across to order food, he had to chase up the drinks order.

Furthermore, both my friend and I encountered abhorrent and aggressive behaviour from a male member of staff when attempting to collect my belongings which were in my friends room - my clothes, sandals and make-up. He was really aggressive with me as I didn’t have my passport; totally ignoble in attitude. We explained that the 100LE (£4.20) had been paid. There was obviously a lack of communication between departments! I was made to feel like a criminal on my holiday, not a guest. This I found extremely disappointing as I had been looking forward to seeing the hotel and having drinks in the Royal Bar.

My advise - choose a different hotel!! From the service I experienced, this hotel does not care about their guests safety. This was NOT even 3* service. I receive continual 7* service at the Sonesta St George, security is tight and the customer service from the staff is absolutely amazing!!!! The General Manager Mr. Hesham Radwan, is a world experienced manager and gentleman and this shows in how the hotel and staff are managed. I have been in senior management over 15 years as Regional Operations Manager for the UK, as well as having a Masters in Leadership and Management and a qualified Lecturer in Business, this is the worst experience I have ever received in 29 years of using hotels around the world, both for work and leisure. A 5* hotel isn’t just about how fancy the gardens are! For me, the staff really makes my holiday at Sonesta St George. They remember guests names, they go above and beyond their job description to ensure every guest has an amazing holiday experience. I will continue to stay at the same hotel next year and not use a pool at another hotel.

A M Webb MSc

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Amanda W
I have investigated the matters you have mentioned.
On checking our security videos we see that your version on how you enter our hotel differ , security was present out of the hotel as well as in the lobby entrance, additionally there was a members of the tourism police.
I understand that you were annoyed by us asking your friend to pay for you to use the pool, It would be unfair to other paying guests if we allowed our swimming pool, to be used by non-paying guests. This hotel like many, has a policy of a required payment, We did not ask your friend for the full fee.
The reason why we required your passport is that this is required by Egyptian Law as you requested to stay in your friends hotel Room for a night, I guess this shows that we care about our guests’ safety and security
With regard the matter of your comments regarding our paying guest or our staff due to Tripadvisor guidelines which state “No second-hand information or hearsay (unverified information, rumours or quotations from other sources or the reported opinions/experience of others).”, this means that we are unable to make any comments on Tripadvisor regarding anything to do with our paying guest .

that it is the 2nd review since the 1st one was removed .

Selim SHAWER

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

I made a review of this hotel earlier this year but few days ago I visited the Winter Palce and I was amazed by the everything , the hotel is so clean , nice decoration of Christmas , the BBQ dinner in the garden is really great , the garden is very well lit , tea and coffee making facilities have been added to the rooms which was really needed specially in a 5 stars hotel . I strongly recommend it and we will be coming back

Stayed: December 2017
1  Thank KHSH25
SHAWERSelim, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor for your recent visit to Luxor. I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing with us your feedback and letting us know about your recent visit. To receive such praise from our guest is very gratifying and knowing that you enjoyed so much the facilities and services is a reward in itself. Your positive feedback has been shared with the team, which will encourage them to continue their efforts in this direction. I do hope that we will have the opportunity once again to serve you in the very near future. Best regards
Selim SHAWER