All reviews irish lady train station wet room west bank rooms are huge sitting room tour guide independent travellers egyptian history temples and tombs visiting egypt stayed longer an oasis rooftop terrace nile cruise feast amr
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Our stay at Mara House Luxor was an authentic experience we'll fondly remember forever. Located amongst streets where 'real Egyptians live'; this oasis of accommodation presents luxurious traditional Egyptian decor, a clean & spacious apartment to unpack and unwind, warm hospitality, welcoming common areas, sumptuous food and attentive staff. All pre travel communication with Mara was efficient, and her ground team of guides, drivers, chefs and managers ensured a safe, enlightening and smooth trip. The organisation and logistics were excellent; however it is more suited to travellers who are able to 'relinquish control' and let her Egyptian experts work their magic. If you want to be 'in charge' of every movement; departure times, taxi bookings, purchasing tickets etc, then this is not the venue for you. For us, we loved it! We could actually relax; reassured we were in honest, knowledgeable and capable hands. The planned itinerary was scheduled, however flexible and willing to suit our preferences and interests. We felt VERY well cared for. The 'Mara House' service was professional yet personal, and for us, that was the differential factor that made our Egypt experience so memorable.

Moira & Jamie (Sydney, Australia)

Room tip: The air conditioning meant we could keep balcony doors shut. We did not notice any 'Call to Prayer'.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moira L
Reviewed 25 May 2018

My husband and I just returned from the most wonderful journey and experience all thanks to Mara and Mara House. Mara is the maestro who will help organize everything for you. All the pre-planning communication is timely, clear and smooth. Her team at each stop is superb and the coordination is excellent. Our journey started in Cairo where we were greeted at the airport and taken to our hotel. For 2 days her guide Mohamed escorted us to the famous as well as the lesser known sights. His in-depth knowledge, insights and humor enriched every stop.
Then it was off to Mara House in Luxor for a truly unique and authentic experience. Mara House is a gem. It's a unique and charming oasis.The accommodations are much better, more personal than a big name hotel. Ahmed the manager is warm and caring, very attentive to any needs. The rooms are really suites with comfortable beds and a separate sitting room with a well stocked refrigerator and literature about the area. The breakfasts were delicious and the Sahaladeen Feast on Friday night was outstanding. Our schedule was well managed and coordinated to maximize our experience and not have us wilt in the heat. Our guide in Luxor, also named Mohammed was amazing. He brought the Egyptian history of the Pharoahs and their gods to life with vivid imagery and relevant comparisons to life today. He also accompanied us on our 3 day Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Again taking us to the best sites along the way and revealing their history, meanings and secrets. At the end, he made sure our airport connections home went smoothly.
My husband and I can't say enough good things about Mara House and her whole team. So if you're thinking about traveling to Egypt, this is the way to go.

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank Linda L
Reviewed 14 May 2018

We spent 4 days at Mara House and enjoyed their 3 days of tours. All communication in advance was prompt and clear. Everything promised was delivered as stated. The small apartment was well decorated and had all amenities. Including free bottled drinking water! They make the little things count at Mara House and will fulfill any special request. It was so easy to go out to dinner each night with the use of the horse and carriage and fun too! Ahmed the hotel manager did a great job in making us feel welcome. The 3 days of tours were certainly busy but we had enough time to visit each place in a relaxing manner. Mohamed our guide knew all the history and details of each site and was happy to answer all questions. Thanks for making our visit to Luxor a smashing success!!!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018

My son (18) and I stayed there last week and had a wonderful time. With the tourism downturn we were the only guests and Ahmed basically treated us like family. The hotel is kind of classical Egyptian with beautiful public rooms where you have breakfast or the feast on the last night. The room was a one bedroom suite with two single beds which suited us beautifully. Nicely provisioned fridge as well (appreciated the beers at around $1.60 each).
The availability of a horse and carriage to get you around town is great - the streets are torn up locally due to gas main installations and the carriage is way more comfortable than any car or the Mara House van. Also very cheap - but please give the guy a good tip! The Nile sailing is great fun as well.
The tour guide, Mohamed, was excellent as well - lots of knowledge and an interesting guy to talk to. The tours are great - though the one to Abidos is a lot of time in the van - take a book or some music or both for that day. Mohamed also does a god job helping to fight off the folks trying to sell you stuff and is good for advising on who to tip (which is pretty important). All is all the whole package is superb value for money and will give you a great experience - but the little additions like Ahmed getting you to good reliable restaurants locally (the Indian place is really good) and Mohamed knowing where to go for lunch on the Valley of the Kings day is also special.
Finally - Ahmed - thanks again for getting us to your coffee house for the Liverpool Man City game. That was a truly special night (for us Liverpool fans anyway - which seems to define the whole of Egypt these days!).

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank jpbrown209
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Visiting cities vastly different from one's own, especially when traveling solo, can lead to a sense of imbalance, so it’s important to stay somewhere comfortable and safe. Upon my arrival in Egypt, Mara House was that place for me. Hungry, stressed, and exhausted when I arrived, I realized quickly I was in excellent hands with Ahmed, the manager, who helped me get oriented and called a taxi to take me to a nearby restaurant. Later, after a hot shower, I settled into my cushy, comfortable bed and enjoyed a great night’s sleep. The following morning, after a delicious breakfast, I felt completely renewed, energized, and ready to enjoy the splendor of Luxor’s temples.

I've looked at some of the negative reviews and noticed they fall into two categories: Those who misunderstood something/ didn't read information sent to them, and those who expect the street and facilities to be like home. Yes, the neighborhood looks very different from my own: Well-off Egyptians spend money on extravagances inside their homes and keep the outside very modest-looking. But the area is safe and provides the chance to see how Egyptians live. For me that made it more special. If you aren't looking for that kind of authenticity, a chain hotel might better suit your needs, but you'll be missing out on the unique charm, outstanding customer service, and excellent food at Mara House.

The facilities and service exceeded my expectations in a number of ways. I normally travel far more modestly, but prices in Egypt are currently so reasonable I was able to afford more. The house is beautiful, spacious, and impeccably clean, and my suite felt luxurious. I was treated like a VIP. Ahmed was incredibly kind and responsive to any question or request. And one evening, after a long day of sightseeing, I enjoyed one of Amr’s sumptuous dinner feasts; Cleopatra herself never ate so well!

Other touches I appreciated: The bottled water (a must for visitors) and snacks in the kitchen area of my suite cost the actual prices one would pay in an Egyptian shop instead of the usual 3-4 times as much. Also, Mara’s binder of practical information (in your room) is very helpful. She really does think of all the details so you don’t have to.

If you are considering traveling to Egypt, DO IT! It is a safe and friendly country, and you will be amazed by all the temples. It was the most fascinating trip I've ever taken. And while in Luxor, do yourself a favor and stay at Mara House.

Room tip: The call to prayer is part of the Egyptian experience, but it may wake you at an ungodly hour! Bring earplugs.
Date of stay: March 2018