All reviews irish lady train station wet room west bank rooms are huge sitting room tour guide independent travellers egyptian history temples and tombs visiting egypt mini bar stayed longer an oasis rooftop terrace nile cruise feast
Reviewed 14 May 2018

We spent 4 days at Mara House and enjoyed their 3 days of tours. All communication in advance was prompt and clear. Everything promised was delivered as stated. The small apartment was well decorated and had all amenities. Including free bottled drinking water! They make the little things count at Mara House and will fulfill any special request. It was so easy to go out to dinner each night with the use of the horse and carriage and fun too! Ahmed the hotel manager did a great job in making us feel welcome. The 3 days of tours were certainly busy but we had enough time to visit each place in a relaxing manner. Mohamed our guide knew all the history and details of each site and was happy to answer all questions. Thanks for making our visit to Luxor a smashing success!!!!

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018

My son (18) and I stayed there last week and had a wonderful time. With the tourism downturn we were the only guests and Ahmed basically treated us like family. The hotel is kind of classical Egyptian with beautiful public rooms where you have breakfast or the feast on the last night. The room was a one bedroom suite with two single beds which suited us beautifully. Nicely provisioned fridge as well (appreciated the beers at around $1.60 each).
The availability of a horse and carriage to get you around town is great - the streets are torn up locally due to gas main installations and the carriage is way more comfortable than any car or the Mara House van. Also very cheap - but please give the guy a good tip! The Nile sailing is great fun as well.
The tour guide, Mohamed, was excellent as well - lots of knowledge and an interesting guy to talk to. The tours are great - though the one to Abidos is a lot of time in the van - take a book or some music or both for that day. Mohamed also does a god job helping to fight off the folks trying to sell you stuff and is good for advising on who to tip (which is pretty important). All is all the whole package is superb value for money and will give you a great experience - but the little additions like Ahmed getting you to good reliable restaurants locally (the Indian place is really good) and Mohamed knowing where to go for lunch on the Valley of the Kings day is also special.
Finally - Ahmed - thanks again for getting us to your coffee house for the Liverpool Man City game. That was a truly special night (for us Liverpool fans anyway - which seems to define the whole of Egypt these days!).

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank jpbrown209
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Visiting cities vastly different from one's own, especially when traveling solo, can lead to a sense of imbalance, so it’s important to stay somewhere comfortable and safe. Upon my arrival in Egypt, Mara House was that place for me. Hungry, stressed, and exhausted when I arrived, I realized quickly I was in excellent hands with Ahmed, the manager, who helped me get oriented and called a taxi to take me to a nearby restaurant. Later, after a hot shower, I settled into my cushy, comfortable bed and enjoyed a great night’s sleep. The following morning, after a delicious breakfast, I felt completely renewed, energized, and ready to enjoy the splendor of Luxor’s temples.

I've looked at some of the negative reviews and noticed they fall into two categories: Those who misunderstood something/ didn't read information sent to them, and those who expect the street and facilities to be like home. Yes, the neighborhood looks very different from my own: Well-off Egyptians spend money on extravagances inside their homes and keep the outside very modest-looking. But the area is safe and provides the chance to see how Egyptians live. For me that made it more special. If you aren't looking for that kind of authenticity, a chain hotel might better suit your needs, but you'll be missing out on the unique charm, outstanding customer service, and excellent food at Mara House.

The facilities and service exceeded my expectations in a number of ways. I normally travel far more modestly, but prices in Egypt are currently so reasonable I was able to afford more. The house is beautiful, spacious, and impeccably clean, and my suite felt luxurious. I was treated like a VIP. Ahmed was incredibly kind and responsive to any question or request. And one evening, after a long day of sightseeing, I enjoyed one of Amr’s sumptuous dinner feasts; Cleopatra herself never ate so well!

Other touches I appreciated: The bottled water (a must for visitors) and snacks in the kitchen area of my suite cost the actual prices one would pay in an Egyptian shop instead of the usual 3-4 times as much. Also, Mara’s binder of practical information (in your room) is very helpful. She really does think of all the details so you don’t have to.

If you are considering traveling to Egypt, DO IT! It is a safe and friendly country, and you will be amazed by all the temples. It was the most fascinating trip I've ever taken. And while in Luxor, do yourself a favor and stay at Mara House.

Room tip: The call to prayer is part of the Egyptian experience, but it may wake you at an ungodly hour! Bring earplugs.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank seejay54
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We’re just back from 9 full days in Egypt, totally planned by Mara of Luxor’s Mara House. Wonderful experience for both me (67) and my granddaughter. Mara’s guides were all excellent, knowledgeable and helpful. Other reviewers have praised Fatma and Mohamed in Cairo, as well as Mohammed in Luxor. I totally agree. I would also like to add freelance guide Hassan Mostafa, who accompanied us on our 3-day Nile cruise. Added to his skills as a guide was a playfulness and connection to kids that made it all more fun for my granddaughter. Hassan also showed us Karnak and Luxor Temples.

I had been nervous about visiting Egypt, and especially taking a child into what might be a potentially dangerous country. Mara had been very reassuring, and I’m so glad that I listened to her. I always felt we were in good hands, and quite as safe as possible in today’s world.

Our schedule was packed so little time to improvise. It would have been nice to have more time for shopping and just walking around. We were limited by having the parameters of Spring Break. We did squeeze a short visit to the beautiful Luxor Museum, which I highly recommend. Also, after our visit to the Valley of the Kings, I asked if we could see some local artisans at work. Mohammed took us to an alabaster workshop, which was quite interesting.

Mara House itself is like a little museum, with high quality art works an integral part of its charm. Manager Ahmed was an impeccable host. A very comfortable place to stay. We loved our spacious suite.

I don’t know if I’ll make it back to Egypt one day. I would like to. The people are open and friendly, and the magnificence of its attractions can’t be exaggerated.

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Robin D
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I first inquired about staying at Mara House via email one week prior to my anticipated visit. Mara sent a prompt email response which included options for day trips to temples. The entire package price was affordable and to my surprise included a driver and tour guide to the temples, a sunset cruise on the Nile, and a fabulous dinner on my last night! My 3 awesome nights at Mara House were made unforgettable by Ahmed, the hotel manager, the driver Ahmed, and the tour guide, Mohamed. Breakfast and the final dinner on my last night was great and the chef accommodated my vegetarian diet. I received impeccable service in a cozy, clean, and beautifully decorated hotel! Thank you Mara!

• Trip type: Travelled solo