“Nice, Safe, and Moderate Price”
Review of Hotel Longchamps

Hotel Longchamps
Ranked #21 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I was in Egypt during some of the recent political commotion.... Staying at some of the big hotels near the American embassy was, sometimes, a bit risky. The hotels were very nice but walking around outside was not a good idea.... I wound up at the Hotel Longchamps. Nice refuge in the Zamalek neighborhood... This is not a deluxe hotel but it's pleasant and secure and it met my modest needs. I tell people, "It's a small, old-style European hotel." I can raise only one complaint: The hot water system leaves a bit to be desired. In the morning, it's necessary to run the shower for 7-10 minutes, in order to get enough hot water.... I've met several guests who've made the same complaint. And I stayed in different rooms on different occasions.... No, the problem doesn't seem to be "typical for Egypt." Other hotels in Egypt - even the guesthouse at Saint Katherines in the Sinai - didn't have the same problem.... Oh, well. I learned to adjust. Nice hotel, not great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Longchamps

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. We had a superior room. There are 3 room types, economy, superior and executive. Our superior was plenty comfortable with a big bed, a safe, mini fridge, flat screen tv with good satellite reception, clean bathroom with stand-up shower, and enough room for our bags (which were a lot by this time since this was the end of a two week trip on which we accumulated a lot of souvenirs!). Our room also had an electric kettle and two small bottles of water as well as tea and coffee. We also had a huge terrace with chairs and a table. We would have really enjoyed this more if we weren't sick and if it were a tad warmer (in the low 50s farenheit at night and 60s during the day). There is also air conditioning w/ individual controls. Since it was cool, we didn't need it.
The room was really quiet, we never heard neighbors. Our room was on the street side and there wasn't much outdoor noise either, except the occassional horn honking.
We found the staff to be really friendly and helpful from booking through our stay. When you book they ask for your credit card number, including the 3 digit security code, but this wasn't a problem. They don't charge it until you check out when you have the option to pay by card or in cash.
The breakfast is included and was good. There were two juices, water, coffee, tea, toast, croissants, jam, honey, eggs, fruit, yogurt, meat, cheese, etc. They also serve dinner but we never tried it.
The hotel is located in Zamalek, which is wonderful. There are trees and it is quiet! When you leave the hotel, take the hotel's card with you. As a smaller, boutique hotel (unlike say the four seasons or hilton), not all taxi drivers know where it is so it is best to have the card with the address.
Definitely recommended and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have great terraces.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luv2Travel484
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at Longchamps for two nights while in Cairo. Based on its relatively high rating on Trip Advisor, I had high expectations that were not met. Not that Longchamps is a poor facility--it's not--but the rating is quite surprising for what Longchamps actually is. The hotel is in a non-descript building on Zamalek island that our taxi driver had difficulty finding. Once you're in the building, you can elect to take the elevator to the 5th floor, or walk up the very tiring stairs. The elevators are rickety, but to their credit, we never had any problems while using them. We were greeted very warmly at reception and after filling out some paperwork, were told we were upgraded to a Superior room from a Standard room. By the way, you can pay for your stay in Egyptian pounds, U.S. dollars, Euros or with credit card (Visa).

Walking from reception to the room, it's very dark down the hallway, but also very quiet. After arriving at Room #4, I'd be scared to learn what a standard room is if that was an upgrade! It was a very clean room, but the decor (blankets, furniture) was shabby. I asked if there were any Executive rooms available (the rooms that have apparently been fully remodeled), but was told they were completely sold out at that time. The bathroom, however, was clearly recently remodeled and was the best thing about the room. The water pressure is great and the water stays very warm. There are even Crabtree & Evelyn bath products in a small basket on the bathroom counter--nice touch. There is an electronic safe in the closet and also free WiFi, albeit very slow, if there is a connection at all. The room also has a small coffee/tea making facility and bottled water (no refrigerator).

Room #4 does not have a balcony, but there are two communal verandas: one in the front of the building and one in the back of the building. There is a lounge area that offers a desktop computer with internet if intermittent WiFi isn't your thing. The dining room is right off the back veranda. Breakfast starts at 7:30 a.m. and is included in the cost of the room. The breakfast options were: an assortment of croissants (chocolate, almond, cheese, plain) and other breads, cereal, some fruits, cheese and cold cuts, eggs, mushrooms and juice/coffee. For the juice, there were only tiny glasses (only slightly bigger than shot glasses) so if you really wanted a nice drink, you'd have to either fill up several glasses or keep going to refill yours. It wasn't the best breakfast I've had, but I filled up on croissants and that was enough to hold me over. They also serve dinner and post the menu daily.

The Zamalek area is very nice. There are lots of embassies and banks/ATMs around. The Brazilian embassy is just a few steps from the hotel. When you leave the building, you leave your key at reception and then pick it up again when you return. The Nile is a 5 minute walk from the hotel (turn left when you walk out of the hotel). There are a few fast food chains within walking distance (Hardees, McDonald's Pizza Hut) and many shops. There's a grocery store called Metro that's less than 5 minutes from the hotel (again, turn left when you walk out of the hotel). It appears that there's a school nearby because at around 3 or so in the afternoon, several teenagers were milling around, perhaps just getting out of school. For the hotel being on such a busy street, I don't recall hearing very much street noise from the room as compared to some other places I stayed at during my Cairo stay.

It wasn't a bad stay, it was just an unimpressive stay. Service was very good and all email correspondence prior to arrival was answered very promptly. Longchamps wouldn't be high on my list next time I'm in Cairo, but I'd consider staying there again only if an Executive room were available, as the remodeled look would be more attractive than the room I stayed in this trip.

Room Tip: If the "look" of the room is important to you, opt for the fully remodeled rooms (Executiv...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LuxeTraveler_9
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at Longchamps a total of five nights, four consecutive and one night a few nights later before leaving Cairo. Zamalek, the island where the hotel is located is quiet at night and is an immense relief from the chaotic stream of traffic and horn blaring the is a constant source of complant in Downtown and Giza areas. It was wonderful to arrive back at the hotel after a long day of walking and taking in the sights to find peace and quiet.

The hotel is relatively close to downtown, a solid 20-30 walk across the 15 May bridge, though that beats sitting in traffic any day, which is inevitable for the majority of the day past noon in Cairo until evening. The first night they were out of standard rooms, so I was given a very nice superior room which was enormous with a king bed, a balcony, and a large bathroom with a tub. After such a lovely room it was hard to go back to the standard room! But it was very nice, clean, good sized, and a very nice bathroom with shower. The hotel has large balconies in the front and back of the building which are a lovely way to spend an hour relaxing and reflecting on the day. The breakfast buffet is sumptuous, an extremely nice value for the price of the rooms and changes slightly from day to day for variety. Wonderful to wake up to a nice breakfast.

The hotel is slightly difficult to find at first, though once you know where it is you will be directing all your taxi drivers on the correct way to reach it. In Zamalek the streets are one way and do not always intersect where needed so you have to go out of the way to get somewhere. However, I find it is best to Google Map the location of the hotel and then print the snapshot which has the streets in English and Arabic! This is immensely helpful to the taxis and just carry that with you in your pocket so you can always get back easily. Also, the hotel is located in a residential building it seems with another hotel on the 4th floor, Longchamps occupies the 5th and 6th floors. This seems odd at first, especially when looking for the sign or an entire building! However, the building is quiet and the hotel is very nicely decorated.

The staff is excellent, every single person, most notably the managing director Hebba Bakri! She is delightful and if you need anything just please ask her. Definitely use the hotel drivers, which are very very reasonably priced and will take you on long excursions. Also, make sure you get a guide to Gize BEFORE you go. I made the mistake of just taking a taxi and was roped into a hundred USD horseback ride that left me rather bruised and poorer. The hotel will arrange everything for you so there will be no worries.

I returned to Cairo after a Nile cruise and ended up missing my flight due to the late train so I contact Longchamps again to see about a room. Gaby Schwarz was more than accommodating and actually gave me an executive room for the night so that I could get some rest since my flight left early the next morning and I had such an awful time with the sleeper train. The room was beautiful, recently decorated with a large bathroom with separate shower and tub so I indulged myself in a bubble bath. To be honest, if able to I would splurge the extra couple of dollars and stay in the nicer rooms because they are very very nice and well worth the higher price. The standard rooms are very good, but after staying in two of the nicer ones they are a steal at the price compared to other hotels.

There is free wifi in the rooms, numerous books, magazines and travel guides around the hotel. Zamalek does not have much to see other than embassies and the opera house/art museum complex at the other end of the island (also the only metro stop on the island) but that suits me just fine as it is perfectly located to everything and a quiet night of sleep is not easy to come by in Cairo. Love this hotel and would certainly stay here again. Forget the big monstrous American chain hotels that clutter the skyline of Cairo, do you really want to stay in a Hilton or Marriott in a foreign country?? Stay somewhere that takes care of its guests and employees!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This hotel is located right in the middle of Zamalek and you can easily reach all the sites by a short cab ride. There is plenty to do in the area as well. Rooms were clean and the common space was well laid out and very homey.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo