All reviews samir fayek barrel bar british officers antique furniture agatha christie faded elegance egyptian museum tour guide unique hotel metro stop call to prayer breakfast room heart of downtown doss switchboard elevator alfi
Reviewed 20 December 2009

We stayed here for 3 days and we had a great time. The hotel was clean, the staff was very friendly, and the location was very central (only 15 min walk to the Egyptian museum). Whenever we needed anything, from keeping our luggage at the hotel, to restaurant recommendations, to what we should be paying for things, the staff was ready to assist us. In particular, Samir Fayek was extremely helpful. He gave us great recommendations when we went to Alexandria and was very helpful whenever we needed anything.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2009

We just got back from three days in Cairo and it was amazing. The Windsor Hotel is a charming, older hotel set in an authentic Egyptian neighborhood away from all the tourist traps around the Nile. You can literally walk around for hours eating at the Egyptian restaurants and smoking hookah without seeing a single Westerner. Our Tour Guide while we were there was Samir Fayek and I would highly recommend him. As college students, he understood that we had a tight budget but Samir still showed us everything we wanted to seeing in Egypt. We saw a mosque in the Dead City, rode camels around the Pyramids at Giza, went through the Egyptian History Museum and much more. Overall great stay!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travler51051
Reviewed 19 December 2009

This hotel is amazing. It's ancient, yet still caters to the modern traveler.
Unlike other hotels that are situated on the edges of town, this one puts you right in the heart of it all.
The staff is very friendly, great service.

We hired a tour guide for our trip named Samir Fayek. He put together an absolutely fantastic trip and made sure we were happy at every moment. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This was my first time of staying at the Windsor Hotel after using a number of hotels in Cairo and I won't be going any where else. To me this is what a hotel should be about. Friendly, effecient service, helpful staff and a bar with great atmosphere. Is it as clean a stuffy five star hotel; of course not. Stay in the Marriot etc if you want a spotless room in a hotel with the atmosphere of a morgue. If you really want to experience Egyptian hospitality, go to an Egyptian run hotel. Mr Phillipe provides an excellent driver service, should this be required. My drive was also extremely polite and so patient when meetings dragged on. Enjoy the Hotel, enjoy the bar, then step outside and enjoy Cairo

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Walking into the hotel I felt as if I was walking into a 1920's movie set! I was greeted by a friendly receptionist and was shown a couple of rooms in my price range and one above it. I ended up choosing the one above my range room # 513 because it had a tub and tile on the floor. I had lunch in the beautiful bar most days or a Turkish coffee in the evenings. It was a definite getaway from the hustle of the city. It is centrally located in Downtown Cairo. Four blocks from the Aqaba metro stop. There are no TV's in the room and though I was on the top floor you can still hear the street sound below. Breakfast is continental if you want an omelet it's about 20 pounds. You can not bring outside guests into your room and their is a rotary phone in your room with an antique telephone switch board @ reception. Don't book tours @ the hotel. It is overpriced and it's not really a tour, it's a driver who will take you to places, a tour guide will cost extra. This place is not for those looking for a cookie-cutter place, each room is different so when you go please ask to see the rooms before you choose. This hotel has character!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo